• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

343 warns against rushing through Halo 5 campaign; could miss narrative details

Status
Not open for further replies.
The campaign is longer than prior games, before jumping to conclusions:
It's bigger and longer and nobody "warned" anyone and the thread title is comically misleading and everyone will ignore this post or scold me for not being clear enough and the bolded is spot on. It's about replayability and surprise.

Original:

That's the message 343 Industries shared with fans today at Comic-Con during a panel dedicated to storytelling for the upcoming Xbox One shooter.

"If you like our story, you'll definitely want to take this one slow," narrative designer Morgan Lockhart explained. "You won't want to rush through it."

She went on to describe Halo 5's story as one that has numerous layers.

"We definitely approached this story as a story of layers," she said. "So there's the high level that you're always going to see that's going to be the driving story that you need to understand to appreciate the game. But then there's a lot of narrative that you won't find if you rush through it. But if you take it slow and look and explore, you're going to find all these rich character and world details."
Lockhart went on to tease that Halo 5's story will deal with many "deeper questions" players might have about the Halo universe. This includes "controversial" topics such as the SPARTAN-II program and the Sangheili Civil War.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/halo-5-dev-warns-against-rushing-through-the-game/1100-6428805/

georly

I hope that's not publicist speak for 'It's really short, please don't tell anyone'

I do love games that hide storytelling elements in nooks and crannies, where you can see as much or as little of the story as you want. Hopefully this is that.

TimmiT

This isn't going to be like Halo 4 where a lot of the story is told through hidden audio logs, right? Cause it kinda sounds like they're implying that it'll be like that again.

Caayn

In other news water is wet.

I'm sorry but isn't that kinda obvious? If you want to take something in you take it ease, at your own pace and don't rush it.
I hope that's not publicist speak for 'It's really short, please don't tell anyone'

I do love games that hide storytelling elements in nooks and crannies, where you can see as much or as little of the story as you want. Hopefully this is that.
Agree.

Cels

Someone, reassure me that Mr. Lockhart isn't referring to hidden terminals or audio logs that I need a guide to find.

joeyjoejoe

Neo Member
I can't imagine the game being less than 8 hours, especially with the story going back and forth between the two story threads (that we know of). Every halo game has been between 8-10 hours to beat, so that's not hard to strive for.

sam777

Sounds like there will be notes or something similar lying around that may add some extra knowledge to the story.

I hate when stories are hidden in optional logs, diaries, collectibles etc

Those should ENHANCE the story, not complete it. The main narrative that is unmissable should still feel rewarding and whole.

zychi

Banned
Making excuses for why the sp is 5 hours long 4 months early? Jesus 343 is a mess.

On the flipside, after 7 months of hating on them for mcc, had a great experience with the game on my buddy's xbox this week. Besides lag, slow matchmaking and missing playlists, mcc is finally in a great playable state.

I haven't played halo 4 yet (getting it with the mcc and xbone soon) but wasn't one of the main gripes that they told a poor story in that game? This doesn't sound good.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
"Please take your time and examine every texture so the game takes longer than 6 hours to beat."

It's always interesting to hear people say that we really need to "pay attention" to really get their story. Seems like early damage control for potentially no reason. They must really feel like they are walking on egg shells after 4.

I have only ever played Halo for the story, so it's nice to know they're keeping fans like me in mind.

I hope it's not at the expense of other fans, though.

I hope not man, I don't trust 343 at all.

VinFTW

Making excuses for why the sp is 5 hours long 4 months early? Jesus 343 is a mess.

On the flipside, after 7 months of hating on them for mcc, had a great experience with the game on my buddy's xbox this week. Besides lag, slow matchmaking and missing playlists, mcc is finally in a great playable state.

Holy fuck.

Gaming side Halo threads never fucking disappoint.

Alienous

Hmm. Environmental storytelling is a smart design choice for CO-OP shooters (instead of cutscenes and long dialogue sections), and that would best be seen with a more considered pace, but my immediate reaction to this is just that it's a short campaign.

How I feel after every Halo game's story post Halo 1.

AB9769424E7435566E17CC6E0277DEF50B77666A

I dunno. I've always wanted to like the stories, but damn if they don't get lame as shit. I read Fall of Reach and The Flood and loved Halo 1's story. But Halo 2's ending was a dog-shit abomination, and by the time Halo 3 had come, I just didn't care anymore. Halo 4 left me feeling indifferent. I didn't hate it, but it didn't grab me as something to be excited about as the start of a new trilogy. Halo has always been about the coop gunplay with buddies. And then once the campaign was "mastered" we'd dive into the excellent multiplayer options. That on top of really top-level production values and it makes for a fun ride. It's been like that pretty much with every Halo game for me and this one will be no different. Let's hope they can deliver a good story this time.

How integrated is Halo Waypoint on Xbox One?

it's a stand alone app but the way the xbox os works you may find yourself not having that save&quit when you return to the game, or in the case of MCC if the main game has an update to be applied if you swap out to another app, returning will close the game.

*edit* sorry im thinking of the halo channel.

aly

Oh geez.I hope its not super short. Or that everything will be shoved into terminals/extra reading material outside of the main campaign.

Seems counter productive to say this only to put the thought in the minds of so many to do just that.

Inb4 malestorm that is launch and story length is revealed.

KingBroly

Banned
It's like an onion. It has layers.

Yeah, but you don't rush through an Onion since it makes you tear up.

You do rush through a Cake, though, because Cakes are delicious. And those have layers too. Of sugary fatty goodness.

So the question is, will Halo 5 be an Onion or a Cake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom