• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First trailer for David Simon's HBO miniseries Show Me a Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTG

Treme - Perfect

Really? I mean, really? I gave Treme more time than I would any other show that wasn't interesting and by a wide margin. The foundation The Wire had(from both of his books as I found out discovering them in reverse) was not there and the show never amounted to anything. And I guess I just can't appreciate the incredible culture, music and food because they were never anywhere as compelling as the homicide squad and the game. Not even Freamon and Bunk could save that show.

But, this thread isn't about that.

kingocfs

Not sure if this is the most recent thread but either way, trailer aired tonight with True Detective.

Hyped!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj5Nt-HoBhw

Not to mention I love Oscar Isaac.

Missed this because I watched on HBO GO. Looks great.

Really? I mean, really? I gave Treme more time than I would any other show that wasn't interesting and by a wide margin. The foundation The Wire had(from both of his books as I found out discovering them in reverse) was not there and the show never amounted to anything. And I guess I just can't appreciate the incredible culture, music and food because they were never anywhere as compelling as the homicide squad and the game. Not even Freamon and Bunk could save that show.

But, this thread isn't about that.

It is definitely the slowest of slow burns, no doubt. But it was a totally different show from The Wire and shouldn't really be compared.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Looks really good, will definitely watch. This reminds me that I need to finish off Treme.

Timbuktu

Not sure if this is the most recent thread but either way, trailer aired tonight with True Detective.

Hyped!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj5Nt-HoBhw

Not to mention I love Oscar Isaac.

It certainly doesn't have the the typical 'look' of a David Simon show, seem a lot more cinematic, which i guess is what Paul Haggis brought to the table. Oscar Issacs in 80s reminds me a lot of 'A Most Violent Year'. Six episodes is a tad short, certainly can't have the slow but expansive style of The Wire and will have to be an entirely different beast. Generation Kill gives me some faith that he can deliver a good mini series from someone else's book though.

Jonm1010

Banned
It certainly doesn't have the the typical 'look' of a David Simon show, seem a lot more cinematic, which i guess is what Paul Haggis brought to the table. Oscar Issacs in 80s reminds me a lot of 'A Most Violent Year'. Six episodes is a tad short, certainly can't have the slow but expansive style of The Wire and will have to be an entirely different beast. Generation Kill gives me some faith that he can deliver a good mini series from someone else's book though.

Generation kill to me is the best tv show or movie on the Iraq war I have seen. I'm 100% confident in Simon with a miniseries. Add a singular director to give the visuals a consistent flair and arc and I am hyped as fuck!

awesome.

I have watched Treme and Gen Kill after the Wire.

The Wire>>>Treme>>Gen Kill for me.

While the Wire is GOAT, Treme is really good. I loved the music and I am not a musician.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Split to a new thread. Please don't bump a half year old inactive thread with significant news.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Looking forward to it, although I sure wish someone other than Paul Haggis was directing.

Looking forward to it, although I sure wish someone other than Paul Haggis was directing.

his biggest problem was always his writing so i think this might turn out fine with simon handling that. isaac da gawd. dude is consistently coming in things i want to watch. whether it's a big budget film or the smaller projects he's got impeccable choice at the moment.

styl3s

Was that James Belushi? I don't think i have seen him in anything since like According to Jim in 2007-2008.

Looks interesting i will give it a shot i love HBO mini-series and David Simon was a writer on Generation Kill which is my 2nd favorite mini-series on HBO (right behind Band of Brothers). The fact Simon is writing it doesn't really hold any weight to me i know a lot of people hold The Wire up on this god like pedestal i thought the show had 3 really good seasons, a good season and a mediocre final season, it wasn't the best show i have ever seen and Treme i tried to like especially considering my mom and generations of her family were born and raised in New Orleans, i have heritage there and i visit at least once a year but i just found it boring.

Jonm1010

Banned
his biggest problem was always his writing so i think this might turn out fine with simon handling that. isaac da gawd. dude is consistently coming in things i want to watch. whether it's a big budget film or the smaller projects he's got impeccable choice at the moment.

And frankly this will be the first time I am aware of that Simon will have a true Hollywood director from tart to finish directing his work. He isn't my favorite but it should still be a step up I'm guessing.

And frankly of what I have seen I liked.

Sojgat

Watched the trailer, but all I could think about was

BFHGIF002.gif

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Totally on board.

But...

Why use the Battlefield Hardline theme for the trailer? It's more suited for an episode of Deadliest Catch.

Empty

honestly that trailer makes it look like a very average film drama

but maybe it's just the weirdness of seeing a david simon inner city based show with fancy staging and helicopter shots.

Frog-fu

Banned
I've been waiting for this for a while now and the trailer did not fail to impress. I'm 100% in.

Oscar Issac has one the best agents in the entertainment business stars wars, x-men, and now this.

When you're hot, you're hot, and right now Oscar Isaac is hot. He has that type of buzz where directors like him and studios are actively looking out for him. Whatever good picks his agent made, those were made before any of those huge studio movie deals came through.

doofy102

Treme is better than The Wire. There isn't any fiction on TV like it, and America should cherish that show.

I get it, though.

This trailer is kinda weird for a David Simon show, but I'm sure that's just the marketing.

And he's a great actor to boot. I'll watch anything he's in. Even that weirdly mundane "A Most Violent Year" was interesting because of him.

Inside Llewyn Davis, Ex Machina, and A Most Violent Year.

When you're hot, you're hot, and right now Oscar Isaac is hot. He has that type of buzz where directors like him and studios are actively looking out for him. Whatever good picks his agent made, those were made before any of those huge studio movie deals came through.

Yeah he's put in the work over the years with the films mentioned above its just so crazy really glad he's getting his shot because he's really great as a actor.

Jonm1010

Banned
David Simon thought about doing a Carcetti spin-off, didn't he? Could this be some of that material?

No, this is based on a true story.

Frankly I hope he doesnt go that route. Hadn't heard of it til now but of the other stuff I have heard about, this miniseries and a miniseries on the haymarket riots, I prefer those two over a Carcetti show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom