• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it considered effeminate to use a straw?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 weeks ago I was on a business trip with a Colombian coworker. We stopped by a Mexican restaurant for lunch. We sat down, ordered drinks and I noticed the server didn't offer straws. I HATE the idea of my lips making direct contact with a cup that's been used by potentially thousands of people. I made a comment to my coworker and he flagged down our waiter in Spanish. He apologized (in Spanish) and explained to my coworker that some men get offended when they offer straws because many find it effeminate.

This is the first I've heard of such a thing.

I have no beef with the effeminate, but I never associated it with requesting/using a drinking straw.

Sch1sm

It's better for your teeth, anyway.

I never once associated straws with femininity, tbh, this is new to me. But no. Not at all.

Poyunch

Bro if you wanna live life you use a straw.

wNuEOGe.gif

DJ_Lae

Are people somehow thinking of a straw as a phallic object and that's where the issue comes from?

I don't see any issue. Better for your teeth with acidic drinks anyway.

I have in my life ever only heard one person describe the use of a straw in effeminate terms.

I think you have found it to be just as rare as me. So ignore them, just do you.

There's no chance in hell I wouldn't use a straw at a restaurant. Oddly enough I'm fine eating with the utensils they offer though.

Yes, same thing if you drink from a bottle, looks like a big dick, or a cup, looks like you're sipping like a sissy, real men drink all beverages by throwing it against there face.

Especially coffee, only black, none of that creme and sugar bullshit.

zeopower6

2 weeks ago I was on a business trip with a Colombian coworker. We stopped by a Mexican restaurant for lunch. We sat down, ordered drinks and I noticed the server didn't offer straws. I HATE the idea of my lips making direct contact with a cup that's been used by potentially thousands of people. I made a comment to my coworker and he flagged down our waiter in Spanish. He apologized (in Spanish) and explained to my coworker that some men get offended when they offer straws because many find it effeminate.

This is the first I've heard of such a thing.

I have no beef with the effeminate, but I never associated it with requesting/using a drinking straw.

Could have been that restaurant had people complain, so they stopped doing it. I've never heard of that, but I can see why places might stop if their clientele was offended by it.

It's a bit strange though... like "don't give me a napkin, I'll just rub it on my clothes"-status.

way more

In South America everything is effeminate. But yeah, it kind of is.

IMG_2936.jpg

A; This is America so don't care what they do.

B; Don't care if it's effeminate, just do it.

Lebron

How interesting. My Colombian coworker will also go ape shit if you offer him a straw. I think it may be a culture thing.

Silliness if you ask me.

JDSN

Banned
In the north of Colombia we ask for straws because rats peeing in bottles is a good way to get leptospirosis. Guess in effeminate.

Grinchy

Banned
My buddy told me this at a bar one night, years ago. I didn't want to drink out of the dirty cup so I didn't even give a fuck.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
This and the coffee thread make me think I'm slowly being transported to Bizzaro-GAF.

CSX

It's more like " I have seen the backroom of ___ restaurant and know how they clean their cups so I'm gonna use a damn straw everytime"

rhandino

Banned
Here it depends on what you are drinking and the situation... like it's normal to use one while drinking soda or iced beverages in a cup BUT heaven forbid if you dare to use a straw while drinking from a can or bottle or any kind of alcoholic drink (especially beer)

dakini

Never heard of it before tbh. I also find it weird that some people associate certain methods of drinking as being either masculine or feminine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom