• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA: 3 new IP by Q1 2016, "New Battlefield Experience" by Q4 2016

Apparently EA has 3 new IP ready to be released by March 31st 2016, according to their financial report. One of them seems to be "Unravel", whilst the others remain unknown. The very same report also reveals a "new Battlefield experience" in Q3 FY 2016, so between October and December 2016.

We have more new experiences coming throughout the year. Our live services will continue to evolve with new content. We'll have some great new mobile games, and we're excited to have three new and original IP titles launching in Q4.

Looking further ahead, we're preparing more new games for our players. The reaction to a first look at Mass Effect: Andromeda at E3 was incredibly positive. We have a new Battlefield experience coming in Q3 FY 2017 and another new Star Wars project being led by the dynamic creative team of Jade Raymond and Amy Hennig. These are just a few of the new experiences in development across our studios today.

SOURCE

Lock if old.

I bet they're counting Mirror's Edge. And wasn't BioWare supposed to be working on something new as well?

"New Battlefield Experience" = this time it'll work at launch; honest!

tumblr_nq0le1UrZB1u3fdy9o2_250.gif

If you don't support Unravel, you have no soul.

Man

The lead programmer at DICE tweeted (three months back?) about really wanting their Q4 2016 game to have Win 10 and DX12 / Vulkan as baseline PC specs as it would give huge technical wins.

Squire

Banned
I bet they're counting Mirror's Edge. And wasn't BioWare supposed to be working on something new as well?

"New Battlefield Experience" = this time it'll work at launch; honest!

They're not since it's not a new IP. Pretty simple.

BioWare does have a new IP in the works, yeah. Battlefield is presumably just BF5.

Fathom

Banned
I'd be happy with a new WW2 entry or 2143. Just no more fucking modern combat games. It's beyond played out.

TBiddy

I'd be happy with a new WW2 entry or 2143. Just no more fucking modern combat games. It's beyond played out.

Or WW1. Or Vietnam. Or the Gulf War. Or Korea. Or... or..

So many wars to choose from. I'd love to see something different this time around.

Battlefield 2145 probably. Scifi is the new Modern.

Probably, the wording of "New Battlefield Experience" would indicate a departure from traditional modern military. Hopefully 2145 or another radical shift in the series.

Could they reveal the second new IP at their gamescom press conference?

Traditionally EA has used the GC show to do small stuff. Mainly announcement of ports, confirming release dates and the like. I don't remember them ever doing something major at GC like announcing a new big IP. But that could of course change this year.

Could one of the IP's be the new thing from the director of Brothers? That was never given a formal title right?

Or WW1. Or Vietnam. Or the Gulf War. Or Korea. Or... or..

So many wars to choose from. I'd love to see something different this time around.

Oh that would be fantastic. Give me back my historical battlefield games! I kinda miss MOHAA and 1942 right now.

Hip Hop

I really hope they totally rework the Battlefield series this time around.

Three times in a row has it pretty much looked and played like the same game. At least, I appreciated the theme change for Hardline.

Lakitu

st5fu
I know LevelCap isn't popular around these parts (and his videos are extremely bias to the infantry side of the games) but he has one source saying the next Battlefield is World War 2 and an other saying it's World War 1.

Three, huh? That's quite plenty, tbh.
I'll be quietly anticipating.

Doesn't mean it will be AAA big mainstream stuff. One of them is Unravel and the second is probably the game from the director of Brothers. Third could in theory be the new Star Wars game if EA wants to call that a new IP.

Or it could be the Criterion game.

Quentyn

This.

Sorry for not giving a proper source for the 3 new IP thing. PC crashed while creating the thread and I forgot where I read it on ^^

I think I found the quote. They said it during the conference call yesterday.

We have more new experiences coming throughout the year. Our live services will continue to evolve with new content. We'll have some great new mobile games, and we're excited to have three new and original IP titles launching in Q4.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/337...n-on-q1-2016-results-earnings-call-transcript

Fathom

Banned
I know LevelCap isn't popular around these parts (and his videos are extremely bias to the infantry side of the games) but he has one source saying the next Battlefield is World War 2 and an other saying it's World War 1.

WW1 was mostly men dying miserably in trenches by means of gas. Not a glamorous war. I highly, highly doubt that'll be it. There's a good reason why the indie game Verdun is the first time it's been attempted in the shooter sphere.

Man

I think I could be ready for one more highly-epic WW2 game if deved by the main DICE team.

And I say that as one who left WW2 period games behind ten years ago.

Rumor has it you might be kind of getting your wish.

That'd be nice. I hope they realized that with Titanfall /Battlefront in the future we don't need another Futuristic Shooter right now, at least IMO.

I don't care if the campaign is the shortest most cliche ridden shit DICE has ever done. Just give me DDay in FB4.

SURGEdude

I hope it's a modern or future setting. WW2 isn't interesting anymore.

Can I borrow your time machine? Cuz from where I'm standing modern shooters have replaced WW2 titles as the generic setting since MW in 2007. That's by my count even a longer run than the ww2 fad that got going big time early in the ps2 generation.

At least a brief detour back to that setting would be able to take advantage of the novelty factor of the current generation and a sizable subset of gamers who were too young to have gotten as burned out as most of us were when CoD4 came in and led to optimism that companies might be more a bit varied and creative with their settings. Instead it just kicked off its own era of tired modern and near future clones

One might be that criterion's crazy racing gme the unveiled on e3 2014

Good shout. Although considering it doesn't have a name yet and they didn't bother bringing it back to E3 this year I would assume it's still some way from readiness. I got the impression that it was one of those instances where a game is revealed far too early so a publisher can make it look like they've got new and exciting stuff in development.

Also a new (and good) Dead Space game, please.

After what they did to Dead Space 3? I'm scared of how they'd kill it further.

But yea EA should take a break from that franchise and realise what made Dead Space 1 so amazing.

Not co op, crazy action and micro transactions up the wazoo.

I'm still waiting on the other 2 new IP they said they were going to show during their E3 press conference.

Did they say that? From the conference I only recall Unravel being new, unless they're making a game called 'Conversations with Pele'. Again, I think they might be classifying Mirror's Edge as 'new' given it's essentially a reboot. EDIT - and comments from an EA exec saying that they consider several of their soft reboots to be new IPs: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=659381&highlight=ea+ips

Interestingly enough, when doing a search for the title phrase 'EA IP' I came across this topic:

From EA's Frank Gibeau in 2012:

"The market doesn't reward new IP this late in the cycle"

"The time to launch an IP is at the front-end of the hardware cycle, and if you look historically the majority of new IPs are introduced within the first 24 months of each cycle of hardware platforms," Gibeau began. "Right now, we're working on three to five new IPs for the next gen, and in this cycle we've been directing our innovation into existing franchises.

"As much as there's a desire for new IP, the market doesn't reward new IP this late in the cycle," he added. "They end up doing okay, but not really breaking through."
Like all the big dogs, EA is frequently accused of knocking out incremental updates to established properties, but Gibeau feels forthcoming titles show the publisher at its most experimental. "If you look at what we're putting into Need For Speed: Most Wanted we're taking a lot of risks there, the same thing with Battlefield - you have to admit that, from Bad Company 2 to Battlefield 3, there's a huge amount of change there.

"But, if you look at the market dynamics, as much as there's a desire for new IP, the market doesn't reward new IP this late in the cycle; they end up doing okay, but not really breaking through. We have to shepherd the time that our developers spend, as well as the money that we spend on development in a positive way, so we're focused on bringing out a bunch of new IPs around the next generation of hardware."

"When you launch a new IP it needs to do something really, really remarkable, and that's easier to do when you have a new set of technology that gives you novel capabilities," Gibeau explained.

"This is the longest cycle that any of us have ever seen, and we're at the point where a little bit of fatigue has set in, and people are wondering what they can possibly do next. I've seen the machines that we're building games for, and they're spectacular."

And yet amusingly we had The Last of Us releasing the following year which sold over 7 million copies on PS3 alone.

They're not since it's not a new IP. Pretty simple.

You should tell that to Frank Gibeau:

As well as the recently announced Mirror's Edge 2 and Star Wars: Battlefront, the exec explained that EA considers sequel Dragon Age: Inquisition as a new IP because it's being reinvented with "a new approach".

"We've now got half a dozen [original IPs] in development," Gibeau said. "We've announced a couple of them, Mirror's Edge and Battlefront, but we've also added some as well. The last time I spoke about this we hadn't done the Star Wars deal, so there are those games too."

Top Bottom