• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summons in Games Outside of Final Fantasy

This topic is probably centered around FF too much, so for this thread I want the subject of summons to be from games outside of the franchise.

One of the first that come to mind oddly is Arc the Lad Twilight of the Spirits. These might be spoilers so I won't give much away but eventually you'll be able to get a summon each for Kharg and Darc in the game. Kharg's can be incredibly powerful and the animation is quite nice, but Darc's summon I found to be weak.

In DQVIII you'll eventually get the ability to catch and create a monster team that you can use to battle in a monster arena or call them in any battle. While I found the monster arena entertaining, I didn't find it fun to use monster teams in battles. Since you can't control them directly you are reliant on the monsters making the right decisions in order for you to win fights. This is highly unreliable in any battle of any difficulty and don't even try summoning those in a boss fight. That's an ass whooping waiting to happen.

In the two Kingdom Hearts games I played summons seemed overwhelmingly underpowered. I only found Tinkerbell really useful in the first game and maybe Bambi if you chose the wand at the beginning of the game. Kingdom Hearts II I felt like they were all pretty much mundane.

I also played Legaia 2 Duel Saga and a few hours of Persona 3, but that was so long ago that I don't remember much about them.

What do you think about summons in general outside of FF?

Fou-Lu

Chrono Cross has summons, Tales of Symphonia does too. SMT is all about monster battling and so are Jade Cocoon and Yokai Watch, but not necessarily summons.

Golden Sun had some really dope summons.

Hell yeah.
esiUOeF.gif

Photon blasts in PSO/PSO2 are pretty neat as well
EXJRzLS.png

Fou-Lu

Oh, Summon Night, obviously.

Breath of Fire dragon attacks can sometimes be like summons instead of transformations.

Photon Blasts in PSO?

The Mega Man Battle Network games have summon chips.

Legend of Dragoon has dragon summons.

You can summon shit in the Elder Scrolls games.

Persona is all about summons. Though unlike FF, summons change your character's ability and affinity to an element and are very integral to the battle system.

I'm most definitely not a fan of fusing summons though. Never understood it and I always found it really cryptic.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I love the Bayonetta summons:

Butterfly6.png

rhandino

Banned
The Summoning system in most of the SMT games is just the best and it has to be since it's the core of their combat system since in most of the games they are your party members and in the spin-offs they help you with the casting spells, etc...

Also I absolutely love the designs and how varied they are:

Satan (SMT)
lJBTkvJ.jpg

OSE (SMT Strange Journey)
PuyJEZt.jpg

Minotaur (SMT IV)
3aeIwHB.jpg

Astaroth (SMT IV)
IFTC6gh.jpg

Walpurgis

Banned
The Summoning system in most of the SMT games is just the best and it has to be since it's the core of their combat system since in most of the games they are your party members and in the spin-offs they help you with the casting spells, etc...

Damn those are really creepy. Their designs all look awesome though, especially OSE.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Golden Sun was the first thing to come to mind, but I see that was thoroughly covered.

Bravely Default's summons were pretty lame.

Arc Rise Fantasia's summon mechanic was neat, other than the restrictions on the actual summoning during battle. I recall the requirements being kind of silly.

rhandino

Banned
Damn those are really creepy. Their designs all look awesome though, especially OSE.
I love that even the cute designs are also kind of creepy

Lilim
PTXH9vI.jpg

Pixie
CgyVKfE.jpg

Angel
qFhGWzG.png

I will never stop fawning about them =D

======================

Ummmm, I also liked some of the summons in the Tales of series but my favorite of them all would be the ones on Tales of Xillia since Milla combat system revolves around summon magic what with her being the Lord of Spirits...

One of my favorite summons is back from Vanilla World of Warcraft. It was a ritual where a Warlock and four other players banned together to summon a Doomguard. There's a catch however, a player is sacrificed at random when the demon is summoned AND when it spawns it's hostile. Warlocks have/had a spell to enslave demons which they would have to use right away when the Doomguard spawned so it didn't kill everyone in the ritual.

The best part is if you only had one Warlock and they got sacrificed when the Doomguard spawned, everyone else left alive was screwed and would be killed by the summoned demon.

Overside

Banned
Considering the scale of the Attack, this was pretty weak if it did only 364 Damage

I wish we had more games going this ridiculous

If I recall correctly, there were 2 main factors to how much damage the summons in gs did, their elemental power, and the creatures max hp who is being hit by the attack.

If I recall correctly, Judgements was 240 earth power (The zombies were earth based, so they didnt take extra damage, but they also werent resistant to it, which is why the damage had an '!' after it, I believe a '.' meant the element wasnt very effective, a '!' meant it was nutral damage, and a '!!!' meant it was elemantal weakness damage) and 12% of the mobs max hp.

Judgement could do in excess of a thousand damage on bosses with high hp that were weak to earth, particularly if the users earth level had been raised by previous earth summons.

Your technically a summoner in Phantom Brave.....you use items on the field as a catalyst to be able to summon ghosts (party members) on the field.

Illucio

Banned
Bayonetta technically has summons as well...

I wish more games would use summons, or allows you to play as a summon more freely. I would to toggle control of a swarm of little minions attacking a giant monster, or switching between controlling a giant monster to fight with back to your original character.

Summoning in most games is just get a AI to help you fight or just deal extra damage with a spell-like ability because that's easier to do.

Any game developers out there? Make a solely magic based open world Witcher 3-like game with a summoning mechanic like that. You and many other people can just have my money at that point.

Golden Sun was the first thing to come to mind, but I see that was thoroughly covered.

Bravely Default's summons were pretty lame.

Arc Rise Fantasia's summon mechanic was neat, other than the restrictions on the actual summoning during battle. I recall the requirements being kind of silly.

I actually liked how bravely default's summons were machine/creature hybrids. The animation does get old after awhile though

Tizoc

Satan (SMT)
lJBTkvJ.jpg

PuyJEZt.jpg

Minotaur (SMT IV)
3aeIwHB.jpg

Astaroth (SMT IV)
IFTC6gh.jpg

What was SMT1 Satan based on?

Splatt

I remember in Legend of Dragoon summoning your Dragoon was a fucking overkill.

Can't find a good video tho :/

Hydrus

Satan (SMT)
lJBTkvJ.jpg

PuyJEZt.jpg

Minotaur (SMT IV)
3aeIwHB.jpg

Astaroth (SMT IV)
IFTC6gh.jpg

Wow! That Minotaur design looks dope!

Krejlooc

Banned
You can summon other dragons in Panzer Dragoon Saga, but the magic in that game isn't too impressive to begin with and the allure of calling forth an enormous beast is sort of diminished when you are perpetually on a giant beast to begin with.

The final "armageddon" dragon with the flame wings looks pretty cool, at least.

Wow! That Minotaur design looks dope!

It does! The way the snout becomes a skull is awesome.

Ōkami;173790237 said:
Can't find a good gif, but South Park:The Stick of Truth has some cool summons
Yesssssss. Summoning Jesus to blow the bejeezus out of everyone with an AK never got boring.

This topic is probably centered around FF too much, so for this thread I want the subject of summons to be from games outside of the franchise.

One of the first that come to mind oddly is Arc the Lad Twilight of the Spirits. These might be spoilers so I won't give much away but eventually you'll be able to get a summon each for Kharg and Darc in the game. Kharg's can be incredibly powerful and the animation is quite nice, but Darc's summon I found to be weak.

In DQVIII you'll eventually get the ability to catch and create a monster team that you can use to battle in a monster arena or call them in any battle. While I found the monster arena entertaining, I didn't find it fun to use monster teams in battles. Since you can't control them directly you are reliant on the monsters making the right decisions in order for you to win fights. This is highly unreliable in any battle of any difficulty and don't even try summoning those in a boss fight. That's an ass whooping waiting to happen.

In the two Kingdom Hearts games I played summons seemed overwhelmingly underpowered. I only found Tinkerbell really useful in the first game and maybe Bambi if you chose the wand at the beginning of the game. Kingdom Hearts II I felt like they were all pretty much mundane.

I also played Legaia 2 Duel Saga and a few hours of Persona 3, but that was so long ago that I don't remember much about them.

What do you think about summons in general outside of FF?

Bless you for mentioning AtL:TotS, one of my favorite overlooked ps2 games.

Frankly though, no game has ever matched FF's summons for me. Just so many that are so epic.

Top Bottom