• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soylent 2.0 announced: Ready to Drink bottles, 29 dollars for 12 bottles, Vegan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link

Not only are its ingredients vegan, Soylent 2.0 reaches an unprecedented level of environmental sustainability with half of its fat energy coming from farm-free, algae sources. This next generation agricultural technology has the potential to reduce the ecological impact of food production by orders of magnitude, signifying a major step towards a future of abundance, a world where optimal nutrition is the new normal.

Soylent 2.0 has a low glycemic index (GI=49.2) – the result of 47 percent of energy from healthy fats, 33 percent from slow digesting carbohydrates and 20 percent from protein. This provides an even, sustained release of energy, without spikes or crashes and a macronutrient ratio informed by our nutrition council for long-term health.

The protein source is soy, which contains an ideal ratio of amino acids for excellent nutrition, smooth digestion, and offers an exceptional level of purity from inorganic compounds.

Furthermore, each bottle of Soylent 2.0 contains 20 percent of daily values for all essential vitamins and minerals and has an unrefrigerated shelf life of one year. Avoiding refrigeration and spoilage further reduces the resource consumption of Soylent compared to other dietary staples.

TUSR

Banned
Z8hJjyB.jpg

what.

I'm a bit confused. Why would I pay $30 monthly to receive not enough bottles for every day consumption, for bottles that only provide 20% max of my necessary intake of various things?

Leninpest

I'm a bit confused. Why would I pay $30 monthly to receive not enough bottles for every day consumption, for bottles that only provide 20% max of my necessary intake of various things?

Yeah, really. 12 bottles is enough for two and a half days if you're surviving off of it. I imagine you're supposed to use it to supplement real food?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Can get behind this. The whole process of cooking (or waiting for someone else to make it) + eating food is such a timesink. Sometimes you just need an actual meal without the time required into putting one.

Seems pricey though. Also the worst name.

Zaptruder

Banned
I'd like to give this a shot. But they don't ship to Australia :p

Sounds great for my lazy ass. If I have to make decisions for healthy eating, I inevitably make terrible, compromised decisions.

On the flip side, I don't really mind quaffing the same stuff again and again and again.

I'll just stay at home until my gastro-intestinal adjusts (apparently you fart continously for the first few days while on this stuff).

It's surprisingly expensive. I would jump on this if the price was cheaper.

Compared to equal nutrition (or worse if you start counting micro nutrients) from normal food sources, it's really cheap.

Kwixotik

Still baffled as to why they would name their product that. Also baffled as to why people want to stop eating food, which can be one of life's greatest pleasures. Just a bad idea overall.

Drazgul

Too expensive, yeah. I'd rather just mix my own if I wanted to try that. The guy shared a DIY recipe earlier that ought to be considerably cheaper.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Still baffled as to why they would name their product that. Also baffled as to why people want to stop eating food, which can be one of life's greatest pleasures. Just a bad idea overall.

There actually are people who just aren't that into eating in general, and just view it as a necessary fuel-type thing. I don't get it either, but they apparently exist. I fucking love eating delicious food.

Hesemonni

Banned
Can get behind this. The whole process of cooking (or waiting for someone else to make it) + eating food is such a timesink. Sometimes you just need an actual meal without the time required into putting one.

Seems pricey though. Also the worst name.
~$2,50 / 400 kcal, which essentially is a meal isn't that pricy I think..

a friend gave my gf and I a pack of Soylent 1.xx last night, gonna try that shit this week I guess.

i could be down to supplement my regular diet with this.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
2.41 per bottle, need 5 bottle to be 2,000 calories complete meal. So $12.05 a day, $362 a month if you want to go soylent only, I am sorry but this is too expensive.

Zaptruder

Banned
2.41 per bottle, need 5 bottle to be 2,000 calories complete meal. So $12.05 a day, $362 a month if you want to go soylent only, I am sorry but this is too expensive.

Depends on where you live... but even if you're only counting food, it's a decent deal for people in some areas.

Once you start counting the cost of gym/exercise/nutrient supplements, the potential improvement to health, etc... it's a pretty good deal.

daveo42

Banned

While I believe the initial concept was 100% nutrition from their product, it's marketed way more as a replacement for meals when you don't have the time to make something healthy and instead grab some sort of salty/sugary snack. Overall, I'd say this is just a much better Slim Fast shake, but not something I'd suggest as full nutritional replacement.

Eating delicious food is great, it's making it healthy (most of the time) that tends to be the harder part.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I'd like to try it, just out of curiosity. Certainly better to have such a drink from time to time than to resort to shitty fast food alternatives around the office.

Doesn't seem to be available outside of the US, right?

/edit: Only in the US and Canada at the moment, but you can subscribe to a country-specific notification of availability.

Jarekx

Well, i don't have a diverse or healthy diet so something likes this is right up my alley. It's not that I don't wan to eat more foods... It is just that everything I try outside the my normal diet either initiates my gag reflex or makes me get panicky, or sometimes both.

pj

Banned
The pre-bottled stuff seems dumb to sell directly to consumers. I could see it being sold at gas stations as a quick meal, but why would I want all that weight and waste shipped to me?

I'm baffled that there are people in every single discussion of soylent that can't see the utility of it. Real food tastes good, but it's also a hassle, and it's impractical to eat well a lot of the time.

Could I make a healthy salad for lunch instead of drinking soylent? Of course. Do I want to go to the grocery store to buy the shit, lug it home, do prep work every morning, and then end up throwing away 1/3 of the ingredients when they go bad? No, I don't want to do any of that.

Soylent isn't replacing the bone in ribeye I grilled the other day or the wood fired thin crust pizza I had at brunch this weekend. It's replacing Chipotle and Five Guys for lunch. It's cheaper and healthier than what I used to have. It's much easier and far less wasteful than making my own lunches would be. What's so hard to understand?

Zaptruder

Banned
While I believe the initial concept was 100% nutrition from their product, it's marketed way more as a replacement for meals when you don't have the time to make something healthy and instead grab some sort of salty/sugary snack. Overall, I'd say this is just a much better Slim Fast shake, but not something I'd suggest as full nutritional replacement.

Eating delicious food is great, it's making it healthy (most of the time) that tends to be the harder part.

It can be used as a full nutritional replacement (and something that the founders have done for several months on end while feeling significant improvements to health).

But the concept is to use it as the go to for those times you don't really need to savour a delicious meal/don't want to think about what you have to eat to maintain your health.

Which is a pretty good concept really. Like I'd wager most people eat a staple for their breakfast like oats or cereal or some such - soylent is that meal.

You don't have to replace ALL your meals. Even the inventor, who survives on the stuff occasionally eats food as well.

There are days when you just don't have the time to cook (or even eat) and have to resort to fast food or reheating whatever shit you have on hand. In those cases you could just drink this and be done. Sounds pretty great to me.

Or replace 90% of your meals and only eat really good food, like expensive restaurant stuff. That could be nice as well.

Not to mention the potential for countries where hunger is a real issue. Realizing that people don't need food, but nutrition is huge.

KadeYuy

Decided to try it. Bought 12 bottles for a test drive.

Replacing my lunches with it would be pretty easy i think.

This is nothing more than a Silicon Valley rebranded and overhyped meal replacement shake. It's not a replacement for real food and you'd be a fool to think so.

Jhriad

Is it made in the same rat infested warehouse as their powder packages? I'd assume not since they're hopefully not bottling these things by hand.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
This is nothing more than a Silicon Valley rebranded and overhyped meal replacement shake. It's not a replacement for real food and you'd be a fool to think so.

The same can be said with much higher confidence about chocolate bars or fast food, yet that is very often the only available thing when you are traveling or working at the office. In that situation, I'd rather have such a shake. And if I could not make one myself for time-reasons, then it's a good thing that a ready-made one exists.

ITT: I've learned that cooking and eating are a waste of time...

WTF people

They are, to a certain extent.

Evolutionarily speaking, cooking was a very important milestone as it decreased the amount of energy needed to digest raw foods like meats, vegetables, and so on. Given the opportunity, even chimps prefer "cooked" foods because it makes the proteins and carbs easier to digest. This allowed us to use more energy for other activities.

Cooking has been important for most of human existence because processed foods only became a thing in the last few decades. Once you can overcome the primary, evolutionary purpose of cooking foods, then isn't it just a waste of time at that point?

Why? If it can replace all of the macronutrients and you can supplement the micronutrients (vitamins, minerals), then what is the difference in obtaining those molecules from Soylent or a steak aside from flavor? A molecule of glucose is a molecule of glucose. Lysine is lysine. As long as you are able to obtain a balance of the necessary nutrients to sustain your cellular activities, what is the difference if the source of those nutrients is a burger and french fries or a powder?

pj

Banned

What is it a rebrand of?

I must be a fool because I've been replacing about 1/3 of my intake of real food with soylent for 10 months.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I love to cook and I love good food..but I can see me buy that and replace one meal every other day with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom