• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege – Spectator Cam Walkthrough

Spectator Cam offers the possibility for an 11th player to participate in 5v5 multiplayer games as an observer to watch the match in real time. In addition to the traditional First Person View, the Spectator Cam introduces Tactical View, an innovative viewpoint that allows players to select and automatically follow individual players or “free-cam” over the map to observe players’ skills, team tactics and objectives.

https://youtu.be/uRVBg3G-8y8

How so? I haven't been following I much but it looks more tactical than your CounterStrikes or CODs

No. you have to say you only liked raven shield and that everything is CoD now.

Anyway, spectator cam seems like a cool way to learn from others and to learn/memorise the maps.

Jackpot

Banned
Wait, what stops one team having a 4th member login as a spectator and tell everyone over voice chat where the enemy are? Isn't it essentially a giant wallhack?

Xyber

Wait, what stops one team having a 4th member login as a spectator and tell everyone over voice chat where the enemy are? Isn't it essentially a giant wallhack?

A delay on public games and the option to remove the delay for private games seems logical to me.

hold X to place thing on floor = tactical

How do you place stuff on the floor in real tactical games?

To me it seems that WHERE and WHEN you place tactical items is the tactical part. Not how many buttons you press to place them. But i might be wrong.

belushy

Banned

A delay. Its how every single game that has a spectator mode gets around it.

Mullah88

Uh this will get exploited like crazy coupled with party chat! Hopefully it can be turned off in match settings

Setsuna

hold X to place thing on floor = tactical

Because pressing a button to open a menu, scroll to a thing, followed by selecting and placing the thing before finally activating it. Adds so much to the tactical gameplay of the game

Where did all the hate for this game come from?

I thought many people were pleasantly surprised by the game play reveals?

Tenebrous

Where did all the hate for this game come from?

I thought many people were pleasantly surprised by the game play reveals?

Because it's not a proper Tom Clancy game, and it's definitely not a proper Rainbow Six game.

This is a tactical shooter.

influentialpcgams1.jpg

Siege is just Call of Duty with a few tricks.

I'll quote this from the Reddit forums but this is spot on.

posted by: bleepblopbloop
Basically, my concern rests on two different levels. (this is going to be a long post, tl;dr at the bottom.)
The First: The "This isn't a Rainbow Six game" level
For those who think that old school players are whining naysayers, let me put you in our shoes for a second. Take your favorite game, it can be anything, COD, BF, Metal Gear Solid, Skyrim, Super Mario, whatever. Think about the core values of that game and what makes it unique. Now, imagine that your favorite game hasn't had a release in several years, but all of the sudden, they've decided to release a new game! Awesome right? But what if you found out that whatever makes up its core gameplay is completely stripped away, and it just seems like your favorite game in name only, to the point that it may seem like a step backwards. Imagine a single player only BF, imagine a classless, non-customizable COD, imagine a shoot em up Metal Gear, imagine an FPS with no Role Playing Skyrim, imagine Super Mario without Mario... that's pretty much how we feel.
Rainbow Six was the first in a long line of tactical shooters that emphasized skill with an excellent story driven single player campaign. When Rainbow Six came out, there was only Doom clones featuring you fighting fantastical creatures with fantastical weapons. Rainbow Six changed all of that, it featured real life plausible scenarios and involved skill instead of picking up the appropriate weapons in the level prior.
R6:S seems like it is an R6 title in name only. Gone is the rich single player experience, and realism of the game, and instead it has been replaced with fantastical elements like darts that magically revive a person with 10 gaping bullet holes in their chest. Rainbow Six was created to stand out from games like Doom, and later on COD and BF, instead, it seems that the new game is merely becoming what it meant to change, and that's pretty sad to a lot of us. R6:S seems like it is merely a masquerade of what the Rainbow Six series is supposed to be about.
The second: "This game seems to be a jack of all trades, master of none" level.
Ubi has tried to push that this game is going to be a "tactical competitive shooter", but it seems to want to adopt more casual elements in the game that in my opinion will only dilute the game and cause it to not be great.
A focus on run and gun gameplay with almost no recoil and super fast strafing speed, hitmarkers through smoke/walls/everything, enemy detection arrows, taking a large amount of bullets before you die, reviving critically wounded teammates, overpowered heartbeat sensors, lack of doors in the entire game, the barricade system, inclusion of the kill cam, teammate xray, a reliance on ghosting instead of focusing on systematic communication and teammwork, amongst other things make the game the complete opposite of competitve. They are trying to make a hardcore competitive game that you can sit down and play for about 20 minutes casually, and that just doesn't make any sense.
Then there are the things that I personally think is stupid (excuse my passion for them.) This is probably the first game since 1985 where there are buildings with high detail but lack doors just because their barricade system "didn't work with doors." WTF. Why in the fuck are you trying to sell us on a realistic hardcore game but your game doesn't even have doors that you can open and close, just because it didn't fit your vision? Wait, what is Ubi's vision anyways? I thought they were trying to make a realistic game, but the moment reality doesn't fit in with their vision, they alter it. That's exactly what I mean when I say they are trying to make a hardcore casual game and one that is just a mediocre jack of all trades, this game just doesn't make sense.
Another is the operator system. I literally cannot understand why people like this. Ubi is causing you to have less customization by effectively taking a step back from even the first game made in the 90's, and people are celebrating this? People are actually celebrating being locked into what is pretty much preset characters on a game that prides itself on customization? And on top of that, they wear the camo from their prior unit... which makes no fucking sense if you've joined a new unit. Can you imagine joining the FBI from a local police force, but then wearing your local police uniform? It's just illogical and stupid.
Also, there is zero mod support. Rainbow Six pretty much invented modding, and it's a slap in the face of players everywhere to take that away. Removing modding significantly reduces the lifetime of a game. Skyrim for example wouldn't have the popularity that it does today if it wasn't for the modding community, there's just no reason (besides Ubi making money at the expense of its fan base) to remove modding.
Perhaps the most damning thing is the lack of player owned servers. To this day, I can launch up the original Rainbow Six, or hell even Doom or pac man or whatever, and still play it like it was meant to be played because I don't need to connect to some server to play the game. However, with R6:S and its lack of singleplayer, in a few years once the popularity of the game has faded and the last official server lights go out, you will never be able to play this game again. Enjoy the mediocrity while it lasts. And as always, I really, truly hope I am completely wrong about this game.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Rainbow6/comments/3fmpiw/lots_of_people_seem_disappointed_about_siege/

...introduces Tactical View, an innovative viewpoint that allows players to select and automatically follow individual players or “free-cam” over the map to observe players’ skills, team tactics and objectives.

But... that isn't innovative. Lots of other games have an observer camera.

Gamezone

Gold Member
How so? I haven't been following I much but it looks more tactical than your CounterStrikes or CODs

It feels just like CoD to honest, and it`s very fast paced. When people spawn they usually separate and go in CoD style, not using any tactics at all. When I hear the word tactical I think of the old Rainbow Six games and SWAT.

The cam is only available in custom and LAN games.
Ah, thanx.

It feels just like CoD to honest, and it`s very fast paced. When people spawn they usually separate and go in CoD style, not using any tactics at all. When I hear the word tactical I think of the old Rainbow Six games and SWAT.
Nah, i just read a preview and it's more tactical. Most important thing is: you only have one life in all modes.
And rushing in without communication will kill you fast.
In CoD it's just running and gunning because you have infinite respawns anyway. Even if people don't like it, it's not exactly like CoD.

Top Bottom