• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Football Thread 2006/2007 (Soccer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hadareud

The Translator
With the world cup now finally history and as per the suggestion of psycho_snake I have created a new official football thread for the new season - and this is it.

Thanks to MrPing1000 for the links and fixtures in his post below, I will keep expanding this post with more links etc., maybe even edit: not update the fixtures on a regular basis (no promises though):

Premiership
All Premiership Fixtures

France
All French Ligue 1 fixtures

Germany
All German Bundesliga Fixtures

Opening Weekend Friday, 11 August 2006

Scotland
All SPL Fixtures

Opening Weekend, Saturday, 29 July 2006

English League
All Coca-Cola Football League Championship Fixtures

Opening Weekend, Saturday, 05 August 2006

Holland
All Dutch Eredivisie Fixtures

Spain and Italy not yet released and will follow.

Transfers & Rumours

BBC's Gossip Column

Sky Sports Transfer News

Sporting Life Transfer Centre for the Premiership (also has news updates and a look at all the major papers, awesome)

Football 4 Less you can watch all the big games online, check the forum for details - especially useful for Premiership games

Rules for the competitions (including qualifying procedures for Europe, thanks Heian-kyo) More to follow:
Premiership
Bundesliga

Let me know if you want any other leagues or links added.

I've always followed "soccer' around World Cup time, but this year it REALLY clicked with me. I was made a lifelong soccer fan this time. I'll be following as many leagues I can. Too bad all I can attend locally are the Chicago Fire. :lol

I'll be the one littering the thread with questions. Here's one- Why is the EPL referred to as the "ping pong" league?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Anyone know when the Italian scandal verdict comes in?

Cant wait for the fire sales to spice up the transfer market.

hadareud

The Translator
Ghost said:
Anyone know when the Italian scandal verdict comes in?

Cant wait for the fire sales to spice up the transfer market.
allegedly today. This should be very interesting, I doubt they'll do anything too drastic though.

edit: looks like it will be tomorrow now.

Outdoor Miner said:
I'll be the one littering the thread with questions. Here's one- Why is the EPL referred to as the "ping pong" league?

never heard about this one, welcome to the official football thread though :D

edit 2: moved from the first post to make MRPING1000 happy :D

Sol Campbell is leaving Arsenal, probably going to either Portsmouth or Fenerbace. He's been a great player for us, so all the best.

Thuram is rumored to replace him, I would more than welcome him, I think he's a great player, if a bit old - so these rumors are not too realistic. I don't think Senderos is quite good enough for the Arsenal, this is the year he can prove me wrong. I hope he does. In any case, it wouldn't hurt to buy a world class center.

With the world cup finally over it's time to concentrate on real football again - I can't wait for the new Premiership season. Also, I'm looking forward to not everyone having an opinion on "soccer" anymore.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
Can anyone tell me how many people in average attend an MLS match in the states? Football (soccer) has a rep of not being very popular in the states but exhibition matches (like when European teams go to the States to show off) usually draw huge crowds right?

ElyrionX

I can't wait till Ronaldo leaves United. I never did like him and the way he reacts at not being given the foul after being brought down is just ridiculous. The immature bastard should just get out of Old Trafford asap.

Admittedly, I think we're in quite a fix with Ruud and Ronaldo leaving at the same time. Hopefully, we can secure Ribery which should be a more than adequate replacement for Ronaldo. If AC Milan relegates, Gattuso seems to be headed for Old Trafford which would be AWESOME.

Osorio

Outdoor Miner said:
I'll be following as many leagues I can. Too bad all I can attend locally are the Chicago Fire. :lol

If you follow the MLS that would be great since nobody talked about it in the last football (soccer) thread. It has improved over the years and the Fire just opened the best (IMO) soccer-specific stadium in the country.

cybamerc said:
Can anyone tell me how many people in average attend an MLS match in the states? Football (soccer) has a rep of not being very popular in the states but exhibition matches (like when European teams go to the States to show off) usually draw huge crowds right?

Most teams seem to average around 12-15k in attendance. Attendance is great whenever Mexican teams come, but I'm not so sure about Euro teams.

The MLS All-Stars vs. Chelsea for one still hasn't sold out. If I can secure the funds, I think I'll be hitting up that game to check out the Fire's new stadium (Toyota Park looks awesome).

-Gennaro Gattuso
-Andrea Pirlo
-Fernando Torres

On the way to Manchester United if Ferguson gets his way.

fergusonalexclapd3rk.jpg

cybamerc

Outdoor Miner said:
The MLS All-Stars vs. Chelsea for one still hasn't sold out.
OK. But some of the stadiums in the US are also huge.

What about indoor soccer? It's supposed to be fairly big in the US right? Maybe I'm just uninformed but I've never heard about anyone playing indoor football professionally in Europe.

Alucard

Banned
I wonder if Ribery will sign with Arsenal before the start of the new EPL season. He did say he wanted to play in the English league and that playing for a French coach would be ideal. Hmm, I wonder what he was implying...

hadareud

The Translator
Alucard said:
I wonder if Ribery will sign with Arsenal before the start of the new EPL season. He did say he wanted to play in the English league and that playing for a French coach would be ideal. Hmm, I wonder what he was implying...
I'm not a big fan of Ribery, so I hope not. Also, midfield is not a really problematic zone for us with Hleb and Rosicky both being able to play in similar roles. I wonder if the Perse is going to play on the wing for a few games this season, he did well for Holland on the right - and with Ljungbergs always being out for quite some games with injuries he would be a good option I think

Where are brooklyngooner and Shinobi btw?

If you must insist on starting these threads at least put some effort into making it. That's 2 seasons in a row now.

Anyway

All Premiership Fixtures

Opening Weekend Saturday 19th August (Times GMT UK)

Arsenal v Aston Villa, 15:00
Bolton v Tottenham, 17:15
Everton v Watford, 15:00
Newcastle v Wigan, 15:00
Portsmouth v Blackburn, 15:00
Reading v Middlesbrough, 15:00
Sheff Utd v Liverpool, 12:45
West Ham v Charlton, 15:00

Sunday, 20 August 2006
Chelsea v Man City, 16:00
Man Utd v Fulham, 13:30

All French Ligue 1 fixtures

Opening weekend Saturday, 05 August 2006

AS Nancy v Monaco, 19:00
Auxerre v Valenciennes, 19:00
Bordeaux v Toulouse, 19:00
Le Mans v Nice, 19:00
Lens v Troyes, 19:00
Nantes v Lyon, 19:00
PSG v Lorient, 19:00
Rennes v Lille, 19:00
Sedan v Marseille, 19:00
St Etienne v Sochaux, 19:00

All German Bundesliga Fixtures

Opening Weekend Friday, 11 August 2006

Bayern Munich v Borussia Dortmund

Saturday, 12 August 2006

Bayer Leverkusen v Alemania Aachen, 14:30
Borussia M'gladbach v Cottbus, 14:30
Hamburg v Arminia Bielefeld, 14:30
Hannover 96 v Werder Bremen, 14:30
Mainz v VFL Bochum, 14:30
Schalke 04 v Eintracht Frankfurt, 14:30
VfB Stuttgart v Nurnberg, 14:30
Wolfsburg v Hertha Berlin, 14:30

Spain and Italy not released yet.

Transfers & Rumours

BBC's Gossip Column

Sky Sports Transfer News

Sporting Life Transfer Centre for the Premiership (also has news updates and a look at all the major papers, awesome)

Theres a website with a nice selection of forums pitty I can't remember the url :/

hadareud

The Translator
MrPing1000 said:
If you must insist on starting these threads at least put some effort into making it. That's 2 seasons in a row now.

Anyway

:lol you're making me cry on the inside

I didn't really think about it all that much, I will edit the first post with more information and make it look more professional.

hadareud said:
:lol you're making me cry on the inside

I didn't really think about it all that much, I will edit the first post with more information and make it look more professional.

it doesn't really matter :p

Osorio

cybamerc said:
OK. But some of the stadiums in the US are also huge.
The All-Stars vs. Chelsea match is being held in Toyota Park which is a 20,000 seat stadium so it's not very big at all. Also, there are indoor soccer leagues but attendance for those games are around the 4,000-5,000 area (according to kenn.com).

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
I'm beginning to worry about next season. We can afford to lose Ronaldo or Ruud, but we cant afford to lose both.

Its funny how they are both trying to get away from each other, but they could both be going to Real Madrid:lol

psycho_snake

woodchuck said:
Doesn't this thread pretty much become an EPL discussion?
A lot of it is based on EPL, but we do talk about other leagues quite often, especiially during the big fixtures. there is also plenty of talk on international fixtures too.

hadareud

The Translator
woodchuck said:
Doesn't this thread pretty much become an EPL discussion?
well, that's what I'm hoping for. But I can't help it - I'm a pleaser :D

psycho_snake said:
I'm beginning to worry about next season. We can afford to lose Ronaldo or Ruud, but we cant afford to lose both.

Its funny how they are both trying to get away from each other, but they could both be going to Real Madrid:lol
Yeah, that would be quite funny. Ruud wouldn't be too happy, that's for sure.

Allegedly he wants to join Bayern though (as per Rummenigge), I don't really understand why though. I'm not a big fan of German football and I hate Bayern, so I'm biased - but why wouldn't he go to Spain? I understand that he doesn't want to play for another premiership club, but Bayern is pretty much the last place I would consider.

hadareud

The Translator
Schattenjagger said:
is there anyway to watch any of the games in the states? i never see soccer games on TV
check the first post, football4less is your friend. Might have to put up with chinese commentary, but you get to see what you want.

psycho_snake

Wax Free Vanilla said:
-Gennaro Gattuso
-Andrea Pirlo
-Fernando Torres

On the way to Manchester United if Ferguson gets his way.

fergusonalexclapd3rk.jpg
If i could choose three players i would go for Pirlo, Hargreaves and Ribery. We desperately need reinforcments in midfield and a defensive midfielder is our main priority. Hargreaves would be perfect. He is still young and he proved that he can be an amazing player at the world cup. Gattuso is very good, but id rather have harbgreaves because I think he would be better. He would be an instant success. Pirlo has been a fantastic player for a long time. The world cup just showed us how much quality he has. We need him. Ribery is very good too. if ronalso goes he would be the best replacement to him. I dont want torres because i think is so overrated. id rather use alan smith than torres.

hadareud

The Translator
the new Arsenal homestrip:
l_06alhs.jpg

vanpersie_shirt0607.jpg

The away kit is appearantly yellow again (black shorts, black socks)

I like it.

edit:
new stadium:
emirates06072006_5.jpg
emirates06072006_1.jpg

emirates06072006_4.jpg
emirates06072006_2.jpg

Falch

You can download the Dutch Eredivisie fixture here.

I'll try and bring some Dutch info en discussion into this thread, to try and counterbalance the all English talk here. :) I'm a big fan op PSV Eindhoven, btw. PSV.nl is their official site (also has an english language option), and this is their Wikipedia site including their current squad.

PSV's new coach is Ronald Koeman, who has come from Benfica. Koeman used to play for PSV, winning the Europa Cup I with PSV in 88/89.

PSV has signed two new players this month, both defenders:
- Manual Da Costa, from AS Nancy, 21 years old, Portugues, 5 year contract for approximately 1 million Euro. He can function as centreback.

105125_296_1152274709358-DaCostaKoeman375.jpg

- Carlos Salcido, from Guadalajara, 26 years old, Mexican, 4 year contract for an undisclosed fee. Salcido has 34 caps for Mexico, and played every minute for Mexico this WC. He can play on any position in defense, including left, centre and rightback. Arsenal and Olympique Lyon were also trying to sign him, but I guess PSV was quickest in signing him.

105183_296_1152386681361-SalcidoCarlos195.jpg

Also, PSV signed Oscar Moens on a free transfer a few months ago, to be the second keeper, after Gomes.

Koeman has mentioned he wants 3 to 4 new players, excluding replacements for players who might leave (like Farfan or Vennegoor). That means he'll most likely want another defender (a decent rightback, Lamey and Reiziger arent good enough), and perhaps a midfielder, or more likely a striker. PSV is trying to sign Javier Saviola, but his salary is way to much for PSV to pay, so he'll most likely won't be signed.

Anyway, I'm really happy about the way our team is being reinforced, without losing any of the key players of last season like Cocu, Gomes, Alex, Farfan and Ooijer. Technically, Ooijer and Alex could still leave (Ooijer hasn't signed a new contract year and only has one year left on his current contract, and Alex has to be loaned from Chelsea again). Most likely player to leave though is Farfan. I hope he stays, but if he goes, his transfermoney can be spend directly on new players.

Philips Stadium:

Philipsstadion.jpg

So Salcido ended up with PSV? Awesome. He played great throughout Mexico's WC campaign, so grats on that signing.

Other Mexican NT players that've gone abroad include Osorio and Pardo who both signed with VfB Stuttgart (German Bundesliga).

To follow on from hadareud's post; here are some more new Premiership shirts for the 06/07 season.

Manchester United:

Home
dsc024054gh3ks3uk.jpg

Away
newwhiteandgoldunitedaway0sx6e.jpg

Liverpool:
Home
pool1238pn.jpg

Away
pool12342co.jpg

Fulham:

fulhamhomeshirt06077mm0la.jpg
The hell is up with the sleeves? :lol

Sheffield United:
15fn2wg.gif

Tottenham Hotspurs:
tottenhamhotspurhome07official.jpg

Newcastle:

Away

61048191.jpg

Everton:
942000010ba.jpg

Chelsea:

chelsea06075ic1lo.jpg

(could be a mock up)

nitewulf

who's getting schweinsteiger? that is my main question. holy shit at his performance at the 3rd place game. jesus.
also, where can i watch the premiership games, im the us, do they show it on optimum online? i know they show the old games, im just wondering if they show the current ones.

hadareud

The Translator
nitewulf said:
also, where can i watch the premiership games, im the us, do they show it on optimum online? i know they show the old games, im just wondering if they show the current ones.
1st post, bottom link - football4less

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Arsenal vs Chelsea...it's going to be a great season.

This thread should be stickied at the top

Blablurn

sorry guys but best shirt and stadium goes to bayern munich!

home

schweini3dc.jpg

away

makaay1xi.jpg

allianz arena

allianz3tn.jpg

furthermore we got the best rookie of the world cup

poldi3zt.jpg

Champions League goes to Bayern!

cybamerc

Most of those shirts are ugly. When it comes to style few can compare with F.C. Copenhagen.

Home
hvidtroeje_2006-chds.jpg

Away
sorttroeje_2006.jpg

Liverpool:
Home
pool1238pn.jpg

Hmm, not keen on this one. I'd heard we were getting one like Spain's WC top.

Away
pool12342co.jpg

Better, still not great.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I feel left out.

So heres West Hams new Away Kit, as modelled by Dean Ashton who is apparently pissed that the photographer thinks that light isnt his friend.

prod_9307.jpg

Last of the Reebok kits, they've been bought out by Addidas.

hadareud

The Translator
Ghost said:
I feel left out.

So heres West Hams new Away Kit, as modelled by Dean Ashton who is apparently pissed that the photographer thinks that light isnt his friend.

prod_9307.jpg

Last of the Reebok kits, they've been bought out by Addidas.

he looks like he's holding something back and like he can't hold on long anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom