• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo on PS4: how important is it for Sony?

Castef

Banned
I'm looking at the list of available and upcoming racing games for PlayStation 4 and I am wondering if publishing a new Gran Turismo is worthwhile for Sony.

I mean... Project Cars, Need For Speed, DriveClub are already available, a new Need For Speed is incoming and it seems really nice, Assetto Corsa has been announced and Project Cars 2 is already in the works.

This selection covers basically the whole range of driving games, from arcade to strictly simulative.

On the "other side", Microsoft has 2 own driving game sagas (Forza Motorsport and Forza Horizon) and I'm curious to see if Forza Motorsport 6 will be affected by this overdose of racing games.

Yet, on the Sony side of things a new Gran Turismo has been barely discussed in public. Do you think it makes sense to invest money and efforts on it right now?

The brand name alone means it'll be worth it, regardless of how many simulation racers are already on the console.

DriveClub has done respectably at two million units sold, but GT7 will most likely triple that number at least.

Of course it does.

Project Cars, Drive Clubs, Need for Speed, Assetto Corsa are good games but each and everyone, despite having overlap, scratch different itches for people.

Gran Turismo will do the exact same. And more 60fps racers on consoles is always welcome.

raven777

People don't buy Gran Turismo because it's another racing game

People buy Gran Turismo because it's Gran Turismo.

Hellraider

It is literally the biggest playstation exclusive that Sony has. It's like asking if it makes sense for Microsoft to release Halo when there are dozens of other FPS already.

raven777

What else is Polyphony going to do?

ob_jp.jpg

kyser73

OP - awesome avatar.

Dumb thread. Sorry, but GT is a signature PS brand, and will shift units solely to people who will just play GT on the consoles.

Steveo

Banned
It makes sense, but the popularity of Gran Turismo is waning. I think with each of the last few installments the numbers have gone down, with Gran Turnismo 6 doing like 2 million copies worldwide.

DonMigs85

I just hope it's full 1080p and a perfect 60FPS with zero tearing. That should take precedence over any fancy effects.

You're kidding right? The best selling PS2 and PS3 exclusive games were GT3 and GT5 respectively. Making a GT for PS4 doesn't just make sense. It's the only option!!!

Wabba

No point in making this thread, of course it make sense. Its the biggest racing game out there, its the highest selling playstation franchise with 70 millions copies sold.

Radec

Yo OP, main game of GT has sold more than 10m each.

Probably with the exception of GT6 which was released at the end of PS3's life cycle and had sold ridiculously low compared to 1, 2, 3,4, and 5.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I think Sony need to do a new racing simulation IP with lots of advertising. GT is stale and has been for the last decade.

There cannot be many easier decisions for Sony than to develop a new GT game. While I enjoyed DriveClub it was a barebones driving game (especially at launch) but it still sold very well (2M+)

GT is massive in Europe and with not that many driving games released on PS4 (compared to Xbox One) it is a guaranteed success.

To your other point Forza will do well as always this year.

The GT series sold 67.8 million as of 2012. It is one of the biggest franchises in the industry, so yes, it makes sense for Sony.

Gran Turismo - 10.85 million
Gran Turismo 2 - 9.37 million
Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec - 14.89 million
Gran Turismo Concept Series - 1.56 million
Gran Turismo 4 Prologue - 1.4 million
Gran Turismo 4 - 11.6 million
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue - 5.35 million
Gran Turismo PSP - 3.86 million
Gran Turismo 5 - 9.01 million

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/gran-turismo-series-sales-hit-678-million/1100-6399541/

It makes sense, but the popularity of Gran Turismo is waning. I think with each of the last few installments the numbers have gone down, with Gran Turnismo 6 doing like 2 million copies worldwide.

GT5 is second best selling game in the franchise and if you include Prologue it's best selling game in the franchise.

Loudninja

We have not have updated sales number for a long time now.

Who knows that GT6 is at now since they sale for along time,also the game is still charting very now and then on PAL charts.

raven777

The GT series sold 67.8 million as of 2012. It is one of the biggest franchises in the industry, so yes, it makes sense for Sony.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/gran-turismo-series-sales-hit-678-million/1100-6399541/

http://www.polyphony.co.jp/english/list.html

The latest chart on official polyphony site shows GT5 sold over 10 mil.

Funny that they still don't have GT6 sales there :p

gogogow

Why aren't Polyphony updating their sales list with GT6? Are the sales that disastrous? It definitely didn't do well for a (main) GT game, since price drops came very quickly, but surely it has sold at least a couple of million copies?

Those are very old numbers. Even these are old. (GT5 has surely passed original GT since last update)

raven777

Why aren't Polyphony updating their sales list with GT6? Are the sales that disastrous? It definitely didn't do well for a (main) GT game, since price drops came very quickly, but surely it has sold at least a couple of million copies?

I heard it bombed really hard...like really really hard. I heard someone mention 2 million which is crazy for numbered GT title (GT5 prologue sold over 5 million)

I think GT6 probably saw a significant dip in sales compared to previous installments, but that's what you get when you release a game the month after the PS4 came out, on last-gen hardware.

fedexpeon

Banned
I play Gran Turismo so that I can be reunited with my Skyline GT-R.

But yeah, does Sony like money?
Of course it makes sense when GT is a known global brand series.

gogogow

I heard it bombed really hard...like really really hard. I heard someone mention 2 million which is crazy for numbered GT title (GT5 prologue sold over 5 million)

Yeah, it definitely bombed hard for a main GT game. I got the game 4 months after launch for €16.

I purchased GT5 for the same price, but 10 months later!

whoszed

Have you by any chance looked at the sales of Gran Turismo games? Besides 6 they've sold remarkably well. GT is the best selling first party Sony game (or franchise at least) as far as I remember. That said GT7 isn't going to sell those kinds of numbers most likely, and it might fall short of expectations if it is more of the same.

If Polyphony Digital had the guts to ditch some of the tracks and cars in favor of a more consistent feel I think the game would do better. It needs to best looking 60 fps racing game on consoles to sell really well, yet it needs to have the wealth of options GT is known for.

So Gran Turismo 7 could potentially sell 10 million copies but that would require some pretty drastic improvements to the game. I'm not so sure if PD is up to the task, sadly. One can hope they'll finally modernize the game and completely redesign such features as online play.

Top Bottom