• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Face-Off: Zombi

Loudninja

In terms of the basic rendering setup, both Xbox One and PS4 now push a native 1920x1080 while the original Wii U version's 1280x720 holds up surprisingly well upscaled in our comparison shots, largely due to the grim, dark London setting. It's fair to say that with a 2.25x boost to native resolution, PS4 and Xbox One offer a cleaner image with superior post-process anti-aliasing - but unfortunately, the chromatic aberration filter (used on all platforms) cuts a lot of the clarity we'd expect from a full 1080p title. The result is a superior presentation overall, but with such heavy filtering, the gains aren't as great as we'd usually expect from the divide.

On close inspection, PS4, Xbox One and PC all share the same assets, and in many cases deliver superior textures to Wii U - though in some cases, artwork remains unchanged. Certain walls simply show the same graffiti or stonework design lifted from the Nintendo release, while others bring about a huge leap - notably door signs where text is now actually legible. Pop-in is also less of an issue on the newer platforms, especially once loading a new area, where Wii U is still prone to streaming in textures late. Likewise, loading times are reduced, and doors open up immediately on PS4 and Xbox One - whereas Wii U waits at closed doors with a 'loading' prompt on occasion as it buffers the next area.
Besides this, everything else is exactly as presented on Wii U. The world, the lighting and even effects show little or no improvement from the 2012 release. However, there's one curious omission in the form of Zombi's 'dirty lens' filter - a screen-space effect that's cut from PS4 and Xbox One. On Wii U this obscures a player's view around brightly lit areas, and even PC fails to offer any option to enable it. Only resolution and v-sync toggles are given in its graphics menu, which makes this a very barebones effort on this platform.

Just as surprising are changes to the field of view (FOV) setting. PS4 and Xbox One run with a wider overview during gameplay (but not cut-scenes), whereas Wii U deliberately forces a narrow cone of vision. In many ways this affects the way the game's played; the new release makes it much easier to survey the area and spot enemies - and some might say it becomes too easy. For those wanting to revert back to the original style on Wii U, it's possible to tweak this in the options menu. By default, PS4, Xbox One and PC run at a 10 ten per cent FOV setting, whereas Wii U is a practical match for -5 per cent.

And how about performance? A 30fps cap with v-sync is a bit of a letdown on PS4 and Xbox One, especially given the meagre upgrades over Wii U's visuals. To add insult to injury, rain-soaked areas like Buckingham Palace cause stutters and dips below this 30fps target. Just as with Wii U this is a real problem area on PS4 and Xbox One, and lightning strikes bring about drops to the mid-20s on each. This is more consistently the case on Sony's console, which matches Wii U's lurches to 20fps as we approach the palace - whereas Xbox One surprisingly shows fewer issues.
All in all, PS4 and Xbox One's control systems mark the biggest change overall, with surprisingly little lost by moving away from Wii U's touchscreen. Inventory control is trickier to handle, but accounted for in a small way with d-pad shortcuts - though otherwise scanning and gun reloads are just as accessible as before. On the whole, Zombi may have dropped the U affix, but the essentials make it to new platforms without losing the central hook.

The Wii U version is still worth experiencing for its unique take on the experience of course. The controls are among the best uses of its largely neglected second screen, while its multiplayer mode remains an exclusive feature. PS4 and Xbox One do improve performance though, and despite drops below 30fps around Buckingham Palace, each offers a smoother ride overall. From a purely technical standpoint PC is an easy recommendation for pushing past this 30fps barrier.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-zombi-face-off

SerTapTap

doors open up immediately

I hadn't considered that, that'd be a rather nice UX upgrade. The Resident Evil Doors in the Wii version could be annoying.

30 FPS cap is sad though. I definitely don't feel a need to rebuy. Definitely targeted for people who couldn't play the original.

Wonder if the wide FOV is partly to compensate for the minimap.

Noobcraft

The interesting bit. Bolded for your pleasure.
rain-soaked areas like Buckingham Palace cause stutters and dips below this 30fps target. Just as with Wii U this is a real problem area on PS4 and Xbox One, and lightning strikes bring about drops to the mid-20s on each. This is more consistently the case on Sony's console, which matches Wii U's lurches to 20fps as we approach the palace - whereas Xbox One surprisingly shows fewer issues.

Sounds like 60 fps (or more) on PC is easily attainable and thankfully the framerate is unlocked. I was worried it would have a 30 fps lock or something so I'm glad we dodged that bullet.

weekev

Banned
Sounds like WiiU still the definitive version due to gamepad actually adding a fair bit to the experience.

Chobel

To add insult to injury, rain-soaked areas like Buckingham Palace cause stutters and dips below this 30fps target. Just as with Wii U this is a real problem area on PS4 and Xbox One, and lightning strikes bring about drops to the mid-20s on each. This is more consistently the case on Sony's console, which matches Wii U's lurches to 20fps as we approach the palace - whereas Xbox One surprisingly shows fewer issues.

XBO performs better than PS4? LOL!

SerTapTap

The only interesting bit. Bolded for your pleasure.

Usually indicates a CPU bound issue. Xbone CPU is a hair faster. Or just a result of the different tools, it's not like they went gung-ho on performance after all.

Sounds like WiiU still the definitive version due to gamepad actually adding a fair bit to the experience.

It's more that they didn't really bother to particularly improve it. IMO the gamepad features are greatly overstated in value, but this port offers so little changes that yeah I guess the gamepad is still a relevant plus. If I bought today I'm not sure if I'd trade the Resi doors for gamepad features though.

Sounds like 60 fps (or more) on PC is easily attainable and thankfully the framerate is unlocked. I was worried it would have a 30 fps lock or something so I'm glad we dodged that bullet.

Yup, get the PC version folks if you have a capable one. Plus there are now Reshade configs out.

http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/4240/

ZOMBI_2015-08-19_18-51-38.png

I'm actually surprised the PC version even run at 60fps with Ubisoft poor track record on PC. But overall the way the handle ZombiU is just bad.

Crom

And the others versions cut out the multiplayer

Surprised that the OP didn't highlight that section of the article. The PS4, XBone, and PC versions cut out multiplayer.

Pretty big deal

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-zombi-face-off

However, sorting the inventory is less intuitive when browsing via d-pad, as compared to dragging and dropping items from the backpack with the Wii U's stylus.

Expectedly, features such as the Wii U's local multiplayer are also removed and that's a shame - on the original version, this was a neat extra that put the GamePad to work from a top-down view, letting one player plant enemies for the other to survive against. No equivalent is added for the new ports, with the menu option simply removed entirely.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Wait, didn't they cut the messaging system and zombie invasion stuff, too? I'd say that's definitely worth a mention.

Davey Cakes

It sounds like they made it easier BY DEFAULT, in terms of intentionally-limiting design decisions.

Things like the Gamepad, the filters, and the small FOV increased the feeling of vulnerability and claustrophobia. Those aspects seem toned down, from what I'm reading.

A least there are options so you can tweak it to how you like. I'm just not sure if this defeats the purpose or not.

Kind of reminds me of the new control scheme in REmake REmaster.

JordanN

Banned
Still can't believe there's no Vita support whatsoever for this.

"Since this port is completely bare bones, can we throw in the Vita controller to somehow justify it?"
"No, just sell it as a zombie shooter. We'll make a $20 profit. LOL".

stryke

And the others versions cut out the multiplayer

Surprised that the OP didn't highlight that section of the article. The PS4 and XBone versions cut out multiplayer.

Pretty big deal

DF is not making a big deal of it because their primary agenda is to compare graphics and performance.

Content differences like exclusive DLC/modes/whatnot are usually oneliners in their conclusion.

edit - oh I misread, you wanted OP to make a deal out of it.

30fps lock?

Oh well. Got my hopes ups since the trailers they released where all 60fps.

Port seemed like a bit of a mess anyway. Not a big loss to skip it.

No multiplayer on PC either? In other words, the PC version is definitive for performance and the Wii U version is definitive for features.

psychotron

Hmmm....slightly better performance in trouble areas on the XBone. Might be the first multiplat in a long time that I get for it.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, didn't they cut the messaging system and zombie invasion stuff, too? I'd say that's definitely worth a mention.
What?
I knew about the localMP but that would really take away something special

Oh noes! Whatever shall we do :-( /s

Was this game any good? I thought it bombed critically?
Mixed reviews. Now a lot of people say it is one of the best survival horror games ever

Oh noes! Whatever shall we do :-( /s

Was this game any good? I thought it bombed critically?

Eh? No, it was one of the best Wii U launch titles; Gamespot hated it for some reason, but everyone else really liked it. Scores were either really high, or really low, there wasn't much middle ground.

omonimo

Banned
My guess is that the game profits from higher single CPU core speed. On Wii U it only ran on 3 cores after all.
Why everytime xbone runs better in the multiplat of the ps4, it's just for the (slight) faster cpu? I remember the same thing about GTA V, and it was totally wrong. It's almost useless to have a little faster cpu with inferior gpu/bandwith/fillrate. An hardware should be balanced in everything to obtain some sort of advantage in the performance, not just some boost here and there. I'm expect just the ESRAM could give some advantage on xbone, in limited scenario, with multiple buffer to handle (I have in mind The Witcher 3; ps4 shows tons of problems with multiple transparancies, because without those, it runs almost flawless). But I don't think cpu could give any tangible advantage, in all honesty. IMHO.

Exile20

Killing your friends and taking their loot was one of the best features along with using the second screen. Shit was so tense when looking away from the tv to manage your inventory.

Multiplayer was pretty fun too.

I was hoping we could get a part 2 on Wii U with more melee weapons, more enemy variants, expanded multiplayer mode(maybe online).

Oh well, atleast I had a blast playing Zombi U.

thelastword

Banned
Usually indicates a CPU bound issue. Xbone CPU is a hair faster. Or just a result of the different tools, it's not like they went gung-ho on performance after all.

It's more that they didn't really bother to particularly improve it. IMO the gamepad features are greatly overstated in value, but this port offers so little changes that yeah I guess the gamepad is still a relevant plus. If I bought today I'm not sure if I'd trade the Resi doors for gamepad features though.

My guess is that the game profits from higher single CPU core speed. On Wii U it only ran on 3 cores after all.
That has been proven wrong over and over again, the xbox CPU has never given it any advantage in framerate outside of bad optimization on PS4 code. Some devs have even highlighted that you can get more out of the PS4 CPU, so I don't know why people keep repeating that. Well.... I know why...but lets keep it honest and factual please.

The elephant in the room is that this game is not running at 60fps, ok fine, does it run at a solid 30fps?...pshhh NO, it runs worse on the more powerful console, dips to 23fps and the like. Outlast looks better than this and runs at 60fps, this is just shameful.

Must admit, even with the removed multiplayer and the brightness level issues, still tempted to drop £15 and play through it again.

Hmm.

I was hoping the DF videos would help to put me off the game until it hit the sales and yet here we are...

Roni

Gold Member
Another game I never thought I'd play, and only heard great things about this title! Picked it up yesterday, gonna give it a spin after work today.

Might have been an oversight of mine, but that game just simple "came out" on Steam, no pre-release banner, no pre-order offering. I like when cool things are simply rolled out without much marketing.

Xater

Must admit, even with the removed multiplayer and the brightness level issues, still tempted to drop £15 and play through it again.

Hmm.

I was hoping the DF videos would help to put me off the game until it hit the sales and yet here we are...

To me it clearly sounds like a port that is only worth getting at a significant discount if at all. Actually this being Ubisoft I expect it to be a PS+ title down the line.

statham

That has been proven wrong over and over again, the xbox CPU has never given it any advantage in framerate outside of bad optimization on PS4 code. Some devs have even highlighted that you can get more out of the PS4 CPU, so I don't know why people keep repeating that. Well.... I know why...but lets keep it honest and factual please.
l.
Which Devs?

scitek

No multiplayer on PC either? In other words, the PC version is definitive for performance and the Wii U version is definitive for features.

Correct, but it was local multiplayer, and I don't see how you could possibly do it via splitscreen, meaning it'd have to be made online instead. It just wouldn't have been as easy to pull off as people are making it seem.

for 20 euro can't really complain all that much

Not really unless you buy this on PC for 60fps. You expect better with the console version considering this is a Wii U launch title. Which btw started as a last gen game, don't know why people are bringing up the CPU in this thread.

Do people honestly think the marginal overclock on the Xbox One CPU is even capable of more than a 1-2 fps difference? That's being generous also.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Why is the PS4 dipping to 19fps on a WiiU game? I'd grab this in a Steam sale if you want it and have the option.

Top Bottom