• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ps4 extremely slow at copying files

As the title says.I was copying share pics on My usb (88 pics i think) and i took something Like 20 minutes. Last time to copy 10 pics it took probably the same amount of time!!! This is really getting annoying. Especially because at first i was amazed by how the console was fast. What could be the problem? Thanks ;)

As the title says.I was copying share pics on My usb (88 pics i think) and i took something Like 20 minutes. Last time to copy 10 pics it took probably the same amount of time!!! This is really getting annoying. Especially because at first i was amazed by how the console was fast. What could be the problem? Thanks ;)

Is your USB stick is a bad low quality one?

It's a pain alright. I sometimes copy video files of about 100mb to do a bit if editing and it takes 15 minutes. Transferring from the USB to my PC then takes about 10 seconds.

My USB 3.0 external HDD can copy 100 pictures in less than a minute. Its the quality of your USB drive that's the problem.

But it still works fine on My pc and i'm pretty sure that For an amount of time it was fast on my ps4 too... Now it takes an eternity

I don't know, it's an 8gb sandisk usb that always worked fine... Sorry i'm not really an expert :p

Look to see if there USB 3.0 stamped on it somewhere. If not, they you could try and upgrade to one that supports that.

I use this, it is very fast...

RTuLX2Zm.jpg

I sometimes take a whole bunch of screen when I plan to write a review (100+), and they go PS4 to 'USB in less than a minute when I need them.

I got it for around £15 on Amazon UK. I see it is $24 on Amazon.com

Melchiah

It never takes that long for me. I just copied about ten Batman captures, and it was done in seconds. I copied all of my Bloodborne videos in three takes a while ago, and it took 20-40 minutes, depending on their size. So, it seems like the fault lies elsewhere.

Conduit

Banned

I have no problem with my USB 3.0 stick.

Yup. People will still say it's your USB stick, though. Ridiculous.
It is. If you've got a USB 3.0 drive and its formatted properly it is fast as lightning.
But it still works fine on My pc and i'm pretty sure that For an amount of time it was fast on my ps4 too... Now it takes an eternity

Reformat it in exFAT and see if that helps. Its never going to be super fast because its still USB 2.0 and still lower grade flash memory which doesn't write as fast as a hard drive.

exFat format is way faster for PS4.

Forgot about that, but yes make sure it is formatted to exFAT and not FAT32.

My USB 3.0 external HDD can copy 100 pictures in less than a minute. Its the quality of your USB drive that's the problem.

I think that's bullshit I have an old Kingston 4GB drive that can copy it's advertised transfer speed on my PC. but when I use it on the PS4 it copies at 100kb/s

komplanen

People need to also remember that in many (read:all) cases reading from a USB stick is noticeably faster than writing to it.

It is. If you've got a USB 3.0 drive and its formatted properly it is fast as lightning.

Reformat it in exFAT and see if that helps. Its never going to be super fast because its still USB 2.0 and still lower grade flash memory which doesn't write as fast as a hard drive.

Forgot about that, but yes make sure it is formatted to exFAT and not FAT32.

I'm going to try now, thanks. My usb it's probably a 2.0. But i don't understand why suddenly it's so slow (only on my ps4 and ALL the times, not just occasionally) when it worked just fine till a couple of weeks ago. Who knows...

Melchiah

It's a pain alright. I sometimes copy video files of about 100mb to do a bit if editing and it takes 15 minutes. Transferring from the USB to my PC then takes about 10 seconds.

I recently transferred 3.39GB of videos from the PS4 to USB-stick in three takes, and each of them took 20-40 minutes. It's slower than transferring +5GB of music from my laptop to a USB-stick I use in the car, which takes about half an hour, but it's nowhere near that slow for me as it's for you.

I think that's bullshit I have an old Kingston 4GB drive that can copy it's advertised transfer speed on my PC. but when I use it on the PS4 it copies at 100kb/s

Not for me. I tried several sticks and they're AT BEST 10x slower than on my Mac when transferring saves and screenshots.
USB sticks will always be slower that hard drives. Like I said, I'm using a USB 3.0 hard drive. My USB 3.0 stick is slower but not as slow as some of you claim.

gruenel

USB sticks will always be slower that hard drives. Like I said, I'm using a USB 3.0 hard drive. My USB 3.0 stick is slower but not as slow as some of you claim.

I'm glad that you're not affected. When I can write to my exFAT-formatted USB 3.0 stick with at least 20MB/s on my Mac, and the PS4 crawls along at sub-1MB/s, there's something wrong with how the PS4 handles USB sticks though, at least some of them.

The fact that we have a thread like this every few weeks with lots of people confirming the issue should tell you there's a problem, even if you're not affected.

It's the same in the PSN download speeds threads, if people have problems it's automatically assumed that they're idiots who can't configure their home network properly or don't know what they're talking about. Very frustrating.

I recently transferred 3.39GB of videos from the PS4 to USB-stick in three takes, and each of them took 20-40 minutes.

You realize that is hilariously slow, right? Unless you're using a USB 1.1 stick.

no way in 2015 should a 10MB save file take upwards of 3 minutes to copy. at this point I'm going to call the Sony engineers incompetent for the speeds I see. every other device I have used this USB stick on is normal including my PS3.

Melchiah

You realize that is hilariously slow, right? Unless you're using a USB 1.1 stick.

It's 2.0, I think. The point was, that they're far faster than the person who I replied to had, which implies there's something wrong on his/hers end.

Ok now it seems definitely better. I've copied 50 pics and it took little more than a minute. Thank you all!

infamousfirstlight_205rosa.jpg

(Infamous: First Light)

OP is right, same USB stick used to copy files on PC will be 4 times (if not more) slower on PS4.
If you copy files from PS4 to the USB stick, you're writing to the USB.

If you copy from the USB stick to your PC, you're reading from the USB.

Reading from flash memory is way faster than writing to flash memory.

Thread bump.

Here we go again. I'm trying to copy my bloodborne videos and it's extremely slow (like 0,1 mb/s! Imagine that with a video of 15 min, and i have multiple), worked perfectly fine till yesterday. My usb it's already in exFAT.

As just staded before, it copied files (videos of the same size of the videos that i'm trying to copy now) perfectly fine till yesterday. Bah

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the console it's "lagging" every time the % goes on.

Help!

I've tried to reformat the usb again, but it's still slow, nothing has changed. I don't understand.

What's the problem with this consoles?

Top Bottom