• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need For Speed 2015 delayed to Spring 2016 for PC, will have unlocked framerate

mreddie

http://www.needforspeed.com/en_GB/news/nfs-update?utm_campaign=nfs-social-global-ic-tw-web-nfsupdate-091015-tw-prev-site-ramp&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&sourceid=nfs-social-global-ic-tw-web-nfsupdate-091015-tw-prev-site-ramp&cid=43403&ts=1442241605930&sf40904795=1

Part of the conversation includes hearing from our PC community that an unlocked frame rate in Need for Speed is a massive priority for you, and we fully agree. To deliver this, we’ve made the decision to move the PC release date to Spring 2016. Our PlayStation 4 and Xbox One release dates will remain the same, starting November 3, 2015 in North America and November 5 worldwide.

This decision on PC gives us the necessary development time to increase the visuals that we can deliver on PC. We will also include content updates that will have been released on console up to that time, making them available to all PC players from day one.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
hahaha so they are doing what ubi do with assassin creed pc ports :D

I've played the last two NFS games on PC and they have felt like an afterthought port compared to the console version. So I am kind of glad that they are taken time to polish the game. Spring of next year is a bit long though.

When Rivals came out, the PC community fixed the 60fps issue within a week or so.

iNvid02

well its better than putting out a gimped version so im alright with this, despite it being a pretty fucking lengthy delay

Danlord

Isn't this a good thing? Rather than risk the mess that Arkham Knight on PC was, when the clear focus of development was primarily console-based, they delay the PC version to deliver a version as expected by PC gamers.

The unlocked frame-rate is one expectation that gamers are wanting for PC games, especially after the large FPS Curators group on Steam being very vocal and we finally got a decent conversation thread instead of bashing TotalBiscuit.

I doubt the frame-rate is the only factor in the decision for such a delay, especially if they'd need to rewrite some codebase to adapt their animation/physics to run differently compared to console's locked* 30.

jett

D-Member
Ghost Games seems to be nothing but the sad remnants of Criterion. They've been developing this game for two years and apparently the PC version was locked at 30fps all this time.

I've played the last two NFS games on PC and they have felt like an afterthought port compared to the console version. So I am kind of glad that they are taken time to polish the game. Spring of next year is a bit long though.

When Rivals came out, the PC community fixed the 60fps issue within a week or so.

They didn't really fix it. You needed a monster PC to get a locked 60fps, and you needed it to be locked, because otherwise it would go into slow motion.

pastrami

Am I reading it wrong or did they really say they need half a year to unlock framerate?

Judging by the previous game, some of the game logic is tied to the framerate. So taking half a year to unlock the framerate doesn't sound unreasonable, especially since the priority is the console versions.

SliChillax

Maybe this isn't just about the framerate. Hopefully they upgrade the visuals, add more content, remove the always online requirement etc. Also Rivals had it's framerate tied to the games physics so once you unlocked it the game would run incredibly bad unless you locked it to a specific framerate and kept it at a constant fps.

Judging by the previous game, some of the game logic is tied to the framerate. So taking half a year to unlock the framerate doesn't sound unreasonable, especially since the priority is the console versions.

Even if the console versions are a priority that's really weird decision making to limit game logic with framerate. Ah well, maybe it saves them development time or something.

Akai__

That's a weird decision, mainly because they could have released the game in locked 30FPS and then add unlocked framerate later with a patch.

I don't believe that unlocked framerate is the only issue here.

Nzyme32

I really don't believe them. It's a palatable reason for sure, but it doesn't strike me as particularly likely to be the actual reason. Then again, I'm no developer and it may indeed take that long to do that.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Maybe this isn't just about the framerate. Hopefully they upgrade the visuals, add more content, remove the always online requirement etc. Also Rivals had it's framerate tied to the games physics so once you unlocked it the game would run incredibly bad unless you locked it to a specific framerate and kept it at a constant fps.

Yeah. This obviously has nothing to do with the fact that many video game companies still think that PC = piracy as if it still was 2005 and thus treat PC players as second, or third,-rate customers.

0racle

That's a weird decision, mainly because they could have released the game in locked 30FPS and then add unlocked framerate later with a patch.

I don't believe that unlocked framerate is the only issue here.

Wait until the Xbox One version is delayed as well !
I KID I KID !

MaLDo

Am I reading it wrong or did they really say they need half a year to unlock framerate?

Real fact, many producers do not dare to simultaneously launch a better and cheaper PC version alongside the worse and more expensive console versions.

Options for them are:

A) Simultaneous lauch with gimped pc version
B) Delay pc version hiding the improvements a few months

I guess the problem with Arkham Knight was they decided for option A but didn't expect the big backslash and added with unexpected bugs. So they are now turning to B.

derExperte

The last few NfS' had more issues than a locked framerate, Most Wanted still runs poorly when you drive through specific parts of the map. So while it's strange that they had 2 years since the last NfS to work on all this stuff and still didn't make it in time I have no problem waiting if the end result is of high quality.

It has been obvious from day one Ghost does not listen to or care about the PC audience. Its more than just ex-Criterion devs though.

Part of the conversation includes hearing from our PC community that an unlocked frame rate in Need for Speed is a massive priority for you, and we fully agree.
To deliver this, we’ve made the decision to move the PC release date to Spring 2016. Our PlayStation 4 and Xbox One release dates will remain the same, starting November 3, 2015 in North America and November 5 worldwide.

Source

Top Bottom