• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where do you buy japanese pc's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brocke

Banned
I want to buy a japanese desktop with the japanese version of windows on it. Preferably one that is decorated on the outside. Any idea where i could buy one? I can't find any on ebay.

brocke

Banned
cvxfreak said:
Can't you just buy the Japanese XP and a Japanese keyboard?

But they wouldn't have the crazy designs on them. When I was in Japan in June, I noticed the pc's had a different look to them. I also didn't have any money on me to buy one while i was there :(

brocke

Banned
blackadde said:
painted as in a solid color? (http://www3.soldam.co.jp/case/)

or painted as in airbrushed? (http://www.falcon-nw.com/)

Airbrushed.

And yes I have a good reason for this. I'm starting my 2nd year in Japanese in a month and I decided to surround myself with everything Japanese to hopefully motivate me to continue studying Japanese language. I've slacked off for the last 3 months and need to bring myself back. And I happen to need a computer anyways.

I don't care whether it will work or not and get me motivated again so don't bother arguing it or making any sny comments.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Do any of the stores you went to offer online sales? That may be one of your few options. I don't see there being a huge market in North America for these PCs, those who want custom jobs either go DIY, or already have a preferred manufacturer that can accomidate them, and those JP keyboards are infuriating (I can never get used to the tiny spacebar).

And yes I have a good reason for this. I'm starting my 2nd year in Japanese in a month and I decided to surround myself with everything Japanese to hopefully motivate me to continue studying Japanese language. I've slacked off for the last 3 months and need to bring myself back. And I happen to need a computer anyways.

If that's the case, it would probably be cheap, easier, and more entertaining to just get a JP PS2 or something. :p

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The way you explained it made it sound like you wanted a Japanese PC because you need a Japanese PC so you can install the Japanese Version of XP on it.

brocke

Banned
Mr Nash said:
Do any of the stores you went to offer online sales? That may be one of your few options. I don't see there being a huge market in North America for these PCs, those who want custom jobs either go DIY, or already have a preferred manufacturer that can accomidate them, and those JP keyboards are infuriating (I can never get used to the tiny spacebar).

If that's the case, it would probably be cheap, easier, and more entertaining to just get a JP PS2 or something. :p

Yeah I got a few web addresses from various stores in Akihabara (including that big electronics store there), and they only deliver to Japan.

pjberri

Crotchety Old Man
You realise you're not going to be able to read shit with Japanese, XP, right? At least get something running OSX, then you can change it back to English when the Japanophile phase gets old.

brocke

Banned
pjberri said:
You realise you're not going to be able to read shit with Japanese, XP, right? At least get something running OSX, then you can change it back to English when the Japanophile phase gets old.

Actually I am able to read a bit already. 300 kanji and obviously all hiragana and katakana. And this year we are focusing very heavily on kanji. And it is not a phase. I cannot tell you why its not a phase, but certain events in my life that would turn most people away from learning Japanese did not jar my focus.

Polari

brocke said:

I don't care whether it will work or not and get me motivated again so don't bother arguing it or making any sny comments.

Sometimes I really hate this board.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I like your avatar which underlines your posting here, sir =)

pjberri

Crotchety Old Man
brocke said:
Actually I am able to read a bit already. 300 kanji and obviously all hiragana and katakana. And this year we are focusing very heavily on kanji. And it is not a phase. I cannot tell you why its not a phase, but certain events in my life that would turn most people away from learning Japanese did not jar my focus.
Then... uuh... why do you need a PC with crap painted on it from Japan to motivate you? :lol

And despite learning close to 250 kanji last semester alone I still find there's a shitload of them I've never seen before if I switch my system to Japanese. You've been warned. I strongly suggest getting something that lets you bail out (I know nothing about Japanese XP).

tetsuoxb

This sounds like one of the dumbest ideas in the history of dumb ideas.

You want a PC, with an OS in a language you don't speak, with something dumb airbrushed on it (which I've never seen sold anywhere...), to motivate you to learn Japanese?

I have a degree in Japanese, and I saw guys like you drop out of the major every day.

Here's a simple breakdown:

100 people in Japanese 1st year
50 in Japanese 2nd year
25 in Japanese 3rd year
7-10 in Japanese 4th year (Lit and Advanced translation)

The 50 that drop in Japanese 1 are the people who took it for kicks or because they like anime.
The 25 that drop in Japanese 2 are the ones that realize 2 years of Japanese is absolutely nothing (which will most like be you from your post)
The 15 that quit after three years realize that the major is financially risky, or are satisified with a minor in Japanese.

If you are serious about learning Japanese, drop the Japanophile bullshit, and start actually learning Japanese. Buy extra textbooks, watch Japanese movies without subtitles on, write a summary of what you think happened, and then go back and watch it with subtitles, buy Jump in Japanese and go through it with a highlighter looking for words you don't know. Join a conversation table to practice speaking (which is woefully inadequate with textbook Japanese). All of them would be better ideas than blowing money on some vanity pc to show off at anime club.

medrew

pc-parts.jpg

+

pocky.jpg

+

U99966.jpg

=

SUCCESS

brocke

Banned
tetsuoxb said:
This sounds like one of the dumbest ideas in the history of dumb ideas.

You want a PC, with an OS in a language you don't speak, with something dumb airbrushed on it (which I've never seen sold anywhere...), to motivate you to learn Japanese?

I have a degree in Japanese, and I saw guys like you drop out of the major every day.

Here's a simple breakdown:

100 people in Japanese 1st year
50 in Japanese 2nd year
25 in Japanese 3rd year
7-10 in Japanese 4th year (Lit and Advanced translation)

The 50 that drop in Japanese 1 are the people who took it for kicks or because they like anime.
The 25 that drop in Japanese 2 are the ones that realize 2 years of Japanese is absolutely nothing (which will most like be you from your post)
The 15 that quit after three years realize that the major is financially risky, or are satisified with a minor in Japanese.

If you are serious about learning Japanese, drop the Japanophile bullshit, and start actually learning Japanese. Buy extra textbooks, watch Japanese movies without subtitles on, write a summary of what you think happened, and then go back and watch it with subtitles, buy Jump in Japanese and go through it with a highlighter looking for words you don't know. Join a conversation table to practice speaking (which is woefully inadequate with textbook Japanese). All of them would be better ideas than blowing money on some vanity pc to show off at anime club.

please enough. i've also taken japanese long enough to know about elitist like you with this sort of attitude towards the language. please either answer my question only or if you don't care to then do not post in my thread and let it die off.

Polari

brocke said:
please enough. i've also taken japanese long enough to know about elitist like you with this sort of attitude towards the language. please either answer my question only or if you don't care to then do not post in my thread and let it die off.

...and he's probably taken japanese long enough to know about the lost cause jap-o-freaks who think surrounding themselves with tacky japanese shit will magically allow them to learn the language. zing.

Brofist

Most PC parts shops in Japan carry the same damn cases you would find on newegg, and on top of that you can buy modded cases anywhere. Also you can easily install a Japanese version of XP on your PC quite easily without buying "one of dem durr fancy Japanese PCs" so I can't really understand your point.

Like mentioned before it will probably discourage you more than anything, as you flounder about trying to figure out the most basic things with your extensive 300 kanji knowledge.

tetsuoxb

brocke said:

You mean the kind of attitude towards the language that got me a job as a professional translator in Japan. Yep.

...and he's probably taken japanese long enough to know about the lost cause jap-o-freaks who think surrounding themselves with tacky japanese shit will magically allow them to learn the language. zing.

well done.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Not to bash your want to learn the language.. but buying a pc from Japan seems a little odd.. getting xp os and keyboard would be cheaper.. you can study and type Japanese on the English os like so

日本語am fun

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I always thought some of the older Japanese PCs like the X68000 and the FM Towns looked really cool:

sharp_x68000_1.jpg

4230A_b.jpg

Shouta

Other than case/monitor design, there isn't a reason to have a Japanese PC. It doesn't offer anything over an American one. There's certainly no reason to use a Japanese version of Windows Xp either because you can just set an English version to do pretty much the same thing.

Mandoric

Banned
Starting from at least NT5, Windows is language-adaptable; the MUI pack will let you change your UI language, in addition to the normal code page changability. If you're attending school, you can get it through MSDNAA.

As for the units themselves, you can get the same cases here---maybe not off the shelf, but at Newegg or barring that some kind of PC ricer specialty shop.

What the hell ?! You have done only 1 year in Japanese, and you already know 300 kanji ?Damn ! I have done nearly 3 years of Japanese and I know the same number of kanji as you ! What the **** :( .

brocke

Banned
Stormbringer said:
What the hell ?! You have done only 1 year in Japanese, and you already know 300 kanji ?Damn ! I have done nearly 3 years of Japanese and I know the same number of kanji as you ! What the **** :( .

The language program at my university is amazing, especially for Japanese. Sensei lived in Japan until she was 22, and still visits there for a few months every summer. She is strict, but very effective. There are the occasional students who think they are the masters of the language, but most of them aren't coming back the second year.

Most importantly we learn about the culture and how learning a language isn't only translating and going into it with that in mind, but changing your whole mindset and thinking like the Japanese. There are some people me and my friends have known that have gone to Japan and worked there. They know the language well but lack the cultural understanding. Some of them ended up coming back because of the complications that caused, and others remained and still have a hard time getting adjusted. Anyways enough of that rant.

But...But...You know more kanji than me :( ! 300 kanji for the first year is absolutely amazing...But I guess the university program is probably more advanced than the highschool one.
Well, I think it's time for me to catch up and just learn kanji after kanji until I know them all, or until I die for pushing my brain too far.
Goddamn it
madga4.gif

Taichu

I had a Korean roommate who often asked me to help him with computer-related questions (doing stuff in Word, setting up access to an online drive, etc). I can read Korean letters and all that, but I'm by no means an expert at the language. Just trying to navigate an OS in a different language is not a pleasure, nor is it a good learning experience. I would always just setup my English laptop next to his and consult it when I needed to. I couldn't imagine doing this in Japanese with kanji. You'll end up with a pretty box that just frustrates you. Have you even considered trying to install software on it, much less worrying if your current software/favorite programs will be easily compatible with it.

Just donate your money to a charity instead of wasting it on this. Hell, make it a Japanese charity if you want. Save the pandas or some shit. There are easier ways to play MAINUSUWE-PA- or SORUTERU.

border

You won't get any warranty or service agreement on an imported PC. When you screw up the computer because you didn't understand what you were doing in a foreign-language OS, you will totally be up shit creek.

Buying useless expensive shit probably won't motivate you towards self improvement if you are just too lazy in the first place. This country is full of fat people with dusty treadmills and exercise bikes in their attics.

Taichu said:
There are easier ways to play MAINUSUWE-PA- or SORUTERU.
I loled.

I'm asian, have asian friends, and work with asians, and we all hate people like the thread starter. It's ****ing patronizing.

It's cool that you want to learn the language, but getting so into the culture quirks and superficial aspects of it all just because you like anime and banzai trees is about as neat as someone wanting to be American by getting fat off McDonald's. Seriously, no one in Japan or America will think you're cool because you have a Japanese PC. If you're really serious about this for reasons other than dumb Japanophilism, read up some good books and stop eating off a ****ing geta.

brocke

Banned
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
I loled.

I'm asian, have asian friends, and work with asians, and we all hate people like the thread starter. It's ****ing patronizing.

It's cool that you want to learn the language, but getting so into the culture quirks and superficial aspects of it all just because you like anime and banzai trees is about as neat as someone wanting to be American by getting fat off McDonald's. Seriously, no one in Japan or America will think you're cool because you have a Japanese PC. If you're really serious about this for reasons other than dumb Japanophilism, read up some good books and stop eating off a ****ing geta.

If you are soo pissed than stop making assumptions. You made many assumptions in your reply that simply aren't true. I hate people like you, so believe me dude the hate is mutual.

You said it yourself:
brocke said:
I decided to surround myself with everything Japanese to hopefully motivate me to continue studying Japanese language.
It's not hard to make an assumption that you're surrounding yourself with the superficial aspects of Japanese culture when you say something like that and also mention you want a Japanese PC just because it was airbrushed and looked different.

brocke

Banned
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
You said it yourself:It's not hard to make an assumption that you're surrounding yourself with the superficial aspects of Japanese culture when you say something like that and also mention you want a Japanese PC just because it was airbrushed and looked different.

Alright I can understand how that could lead you to make that assumption but it is wrong. I know what type of person I am, and I am not the type of person you are thinking of.

brocke

Banned
blackadde said:
then i must congratulate you on doing an excellent 'crazed japanophile' impression.

thanks, i try i try :lol

i never thought a simple question about where to buy something would turn into this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom