• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brownies and DMM teasing game that is totally not a Seiken Densetsu ripoff

Aeana

CPFU5nYUkAAzBqO.jpg

A new "legend" begins...

I like how densetsu has "legend" above it to try to make it seem less obvious.

duckroll

I guess this is what Brownies has been up to after Fantasy Life Link. It'll be interesting to see not-Mana fight with S-E's Mana revival. This is DMM, so probably a browser game of some sort? Meanwhile the Mana revival is mobile-centric.

Nirolak - 1
Mana fans - 0

:(

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Legend of Mana prequel confirmed

Aeana

It's the same artist as Legend of Mana/Sword of Mana, Shinichi Kameoka. He's the founder of Brownies.

How long has "Brownies" been a thing? I thought Browny Brown turned into 1-UP Studio only a year or two ago. Did the studio possibly splinter up, resulting in this? It definitely looks like Shinichi Kameoka's art style at least. I recognise that blobby smudged colouring style from a mile away.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Legend of not-Mana

I just care about gameplay and visuals. Totally burned from the new remake visuals, so if he does the series justice with this spiritual ripoff, I'm good.

Aeana

How long has "Brownies" been a thing? I thought Browny Brown turned into 1-UP Studio only a year or two ago. Did the studio possibly splinter up, resulting in this? It definitely looks like Shinichi Kameoka's art style at least. I recognise that blobby smudged colouring style from a mile away.

When 1Up Studio was founded, Shinichi Kameoka split off and founded Brownies instead in 2013.

duckroll

Yeah after Nintendo converted Brownie Brown into 1-UP Studio as a support studio for Nintendo games, Kameoka left and started up Brownies. There should be a few staff with him, but it's a small studio. They continued working with Level5 to support Fantasy Life with the Link expansion after starting up Brownies, but they're not involved with Fantasy Life 2. This is their next "big" project I guess.

When 1Up Studio was founded, Shinichi Kameoka split off and founded Brownies instead in 2013.

Yeah, and I heard that Nintendo (Iwata maybe specifically) offered him a new studio at Nintendo, but he decided to go independent, is that true? I think it was in an interview with him after Brownies was formed.

Mephala

There is something creepy about it. I can't put my finger on what it is but I dislike it and I'm a huge fan of LoM and most of its character designs and art.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
It's the same artist as Legend of Mana/Sword of Mana, Shinichi Kameoka. He's the founder of Brownies.
I'm gonna take a big guess and say Brownies is related to Brownie Brown?

Edit: nvm answered already lol

randomkid

First not-SaGa, then not-Valkyrie Profile, now not-Mana, which Square Enix property is next?

Front Mission? Where did Tsuchida end up again?

Front Mission? Where did Tsuchida end up again?
He's working at GREE at the moment, I think. Maybe a mobile Front Mission with him is possible, though I'm not sure if he's still actively engaged in game production any more. Don't you worry though. Square Enix' Gruesome Twosome, Toriyama and Watanabe, have picked up the torch for the Front Mission series.

randomkid

He's working at GREE at the moment, I think. Maybe a mobile Front Mission with him is possible, though I'm not sure if he's still actively engaged in game production any more. Don't you worry though. Square Enix' Gruesome Twosome, Toriyama and Watanabe, have picked up the torch for the Front Mission series.

This post is duckroll-ishly dense with sad facts. Thanks.

It's an off-shoot after restructuring at Nintendo, yes. See above.

Dumb question, but I assume they're still with Nintendo. Am I right?

EDIT:
Yeah after Nintendo converted Brownie Brown into 1-UP Studio as a support studio for Nintendo games, Kameoka left and started up Brownies. There should be a few staff with him, but it's a small studio. They continued working with Level5 to support Fantasy Life with the Link expansion after starting up Brownies, but they're not involved with Fantasy Life 2. This is their next "big" project I guess.

I'm wrong.

I still cannot understand why reviving old IPs (or imitating them with new IPs) on mobile and or browser platforms. Those who are nostalgic about Mana or Saga or Breath of Fire are likely those who are willing to play them on dedicated devices, therefore it would be much more interesting to see Brownies to handle on mobile / brwoser a completely new IP which doesn't try to be the spiritual sequel of something from the past.

Top Bottom