• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 apparently jumps between 30 and 60 FPS constantly

shiyrley

Banned
I just noticed it in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVPc_1nYoME

For example, at 1:53 it's clearly running at 30 FPS, and at around 2:00 it suddenly jumps to 60 FPS. You can notice it many more times. Double buffer vsync, when the console can't keep 60 FPS, instead of dropping to, say, 59 or 58 FPS, it will just halve the framerate and go for 30 FPS until it can reach 60 again.

I just can't believe this, how are we supposed to play this when the framerate is jumping around between 30 and 60 FPS all the time, it will feel super weird. Was this programmed by monkeys? With those graphics both PS4 and Xbone should keep 60 FPS no problem.

Although I noticed it with my naked eye no problem, I would be thankful if someone were able to do a digital foundry-style FPS test.

shiyrley

Banned
You mean it Ollies between 30 and 60 fps?
5ArCWqB.gif

Maybe I'm blind but I don't see it.
Yeah I understand that many people won't be able to notice it that easily on a video, that's why I asked if someone can do a FPS test, but I'm 100% sure it's happening.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Altough having being a defender for this game, if this is an actual representation of how the full game will run, I'm definitely grinding myself out of this train.

If that happens a lot then the game will be pretty much unplayable. It is possible that this won't be a problem once the game comes out though, so I'm gonna hold off passing judgement until then.

EDIT:

Yeah I understand that many people won't be able to notice it that easily on a video, that's why I asked if someone can do a FPS test, but I'm 100% sure it's happening.

Don't worry, I definitely saw it too. Right at the point where you said you noticed it.

I think wait till release to pass judgement.

this guy could of captured this from multiple events and or capture cards.

weekev

Banned
The most jarring thing I found about the gameplay video was the lack of music. It has been one of the best features of Tony Hawks games, why would they release a gameplay video and have the music there with it?

It does look like a return to the ps2 games though and unfortunately I dont mean that as a compliment.

Teletraan1

Banned
This game has looked absolutely terrible since it was revealed. I was hoping for a decent effort Tony Hawk game that went back to its roots but that isn't what this is. When you let a tired franchise with sore udders rest for a while you better come back with a solid game. This franchise doesn't have many chances left and they are burning this one on some mobile game turned console nightmare. They should cancel this.

That looks quite terrible, looking worse and worse everytime.

It also looks like it runs between 25-60 fps, theres a lot of drops.

I dont know why people spend time and talent on this, then the companies cancel franchises because "it didnt sell well", of course it wont sell well, it looks like a fucking ps2 game, worse than current mobile games...

I wouldn't jump to conclusions over one YouTube video just yet, but I won't be picking this up until the reviews are out and maybe see if Digital Foundry does it's testing on it 1st.

Hasney

As much as I'd love to give THPS5 yet more shit, I'm going to wait and see on this. It could be a botched capture or anything going on here.

That said, it'll just make me laugh that much harder if it does launch doing that.

Shiggy

This is actually a compromise both those longing for 60fps and those longing for higher visual fidelity happy.

shiyrley

Banned
As much as I'd love to give THPS5 yet more shit, I'm going to wait and see on this. It could be a botched capture or anything going on here.

That said, it'll just make me laugh that much harder if it does launch doing that.
The FPS drop happen when there is more graphical load, for example the scene at around 2:04. 30 FPS, he goes down the ramp, the camera angle changes and less of the map is rendered, you can notice 60 FPS for a second, he jumps, the whole map is seen again, 30 FPS again. That can't be a botched capture.

It can change when the game actually launches of course, but I doubt it lol
This is actually a compromise both those longing for 60fps and those longing for higher visual fidelity happy.
No, they could just use triple buffer vsync and when the game has to drop frames it would just drop to 55 FPS or whatever, not to 30.

Theecliff

Banned
The most jarring thing I found about the gameplay video was the lack of music. It has been one of the best features of Tony Hawks games, why would they release a gameplay video and have the music there with it?

It does look like a return to the ps2 games though and unfortunately I dont mean that as a compliment.
no doubt because of licensing issues with putting the music on youtube

if there is one salvageable thing to come out of this game it'll have to be the soundtrack. aside from one or two tracks it's genuinely pretty good.

Hasney

The FPS drop happen when there is more graphical load, for example the scene at around 2:04. 30 FPS, he goes down the ramp, the camera angle changes and less of the map is rendered, you can notice 60 FPS for a second, he jumps, the whole map is seen again, 30 FPS again. That can't be a botched capture.

It can change when the game actually launches of course, but I doubt it lol

No, they could just use triple buffer vsync and when the game has to drop frames it would just drop to 55 FPS or whatever, not to 30.

It's probably what happens when you decide to completely change graphical style with only months to launch!

This is going to be the greatest review thread.

Jito

Banned
I laugh every time I see this up for pre order at like £50, who the hell is buying this at that price? It should be way cheaper by the looks of it.

ekim

Maybe a video encoding problem? But yeah - it's very noticeable. If this is in the final game it would be a bummer because it looks pretty fun tbh. :eek:

There's a weird disconnect between the animation of the player and the way it interacts with the world. Like its green-screened or something? And the UI is a total busy mess. Its a shame this isn't shaping up to be great, I loved Pro Skater 4 on the Gamecube.

Warxard

Banned
Wow that gameplay looks...much more improved than what we've seen so far.

This could be an old build, so I'll reserve judgement about the framerate but this new gameplay actually excited me. It doesn't look so damn jerky anymore with grind transitions (assuming he isn't using Slam?)

There's a weird disconnect between the animation of the player and the way it interacts with the world. Like its green-screened or something? And the UI is a total busy mess. Its a shame this isn't shaping up to be great, I loved Pro Skater 4 on the Gamecube.

UI is busy? Looks about the same as any other THPS title.

Wow that gameplay looks...much more improved than what we've seen so far.

This could be an old build, so I'll reserve judgement about the framerate but this new gameplay actually excited me. It doesn't look so damn jerky anymore with grind transitions (assuming he isn't using Slam?)

There was a slam grind in the first character play through. Still looks ridiculously awkward cause it doesn't take momentum or the characters position into account, but yeah when he's not using slam it looks so much better.

Warxard

Banned
There was a slam grind in the first character play through. Still looks ridiculously awkward cause it doesn't take momentum or the characters position into account, but yeah when he's not using slam it looks so much better.

I guess that's the purpose of re mechanic lol. Thankfully it's optional. Trick lines don't seem to be as jarring to do as it was in THPSHD.

Board speed's seem to be a little faster than THPS3 but not as fast as THPS4 can be.

What I DONT like is that THPS5 not having blue highlights / sound notifications for gaps or specials. That's gonna be real fucked to listen to.

--

OP could this be a Capture problem...?

Shiggy

Even drops to 24fps for when those moments just need to feel like a movie!

Exactly! THPS5 is more like a cinematic experience and thus it should feel like one. 6fps more or less - for the cinematic experience it does not really matter. After extensive testing at Robomodo (playing the game at framerates between 20-30fps), it was seen that most users do not see a difference. Please bear in mind that the game was made for all ages, so the framerate tests have been made with people aged 70 and above.

Now with the flexible framerate, it can be ensured that the game runs at 60fps, just not at all times.

But that's how other studios would do it. Here we've got an innovative solution concepted by the technical leads at Robomodo. Why should there only be gameplay innovations? Why not disrupt the concept of having a constant framerate? There are a number of advantages to a flexible framerate with large framerate drops. I am sure you will see those once you try the game. I do not want to spoil your experience.

Eye candy over performance? Well, sure. Great. Now give us that higher visual fidelity you're speaking of.

At Robomodo they've worked hard to create the best possible experience for gamers. It's a team made of gamers, dedicated to gamers. While it is hard to please every fan, Robomodo ensured to have Tony Hawk Pro Skater 5 use the full technical capabilities of the new console generation, which obviously limits the visual fidelity to some extent when compared to high-end PCs. Nevertheless, both Activision and Robomodo are incredibly happy to receive feedback to improve upcoming titles in the Tony Hawk series.

What higher visual fidelity are you talking about here?

It is definitely one of the most advanced visual experiences in the Tony Hawk series. Robomodo put in a lot of resources to achieve the visual fidelity seen in the game footage, which is only possible on the current hardware generation. Robomodo and Activision both believe that the game does not pale in comparison to upcoming titles such as Uncharted 4 or Sea of Thieves. Depending on the monetary contributions Activision makes to the organisation team of the VGA, THPS5 may even win an award or two.

Alienous

With game engines so widespread and easily available I had almost forgotten what a technically atrocious game looked like.

Amazing.

EDIT:

Wait, this uses Unreal Engine 3? How did they manage this?

Top Bottom