• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Getting into Wii lightgun games

Llyranor

I've completely neglected this subsection of the Wii's library and figured now would be a good time to get into it.

This is my list of potential purchases (please recommend more, or warn me if any are terrible):
- Ghost Squad
- House of the Dead 2&3
- HOTD Overkill
- Dead Space Extraction
- Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles
- RE Darkside Chronicles

With that in mind, which accessory should I get? The perfect shot, the zapper, the Nerf gun? Or none required? Would that accessory work for all those games (do any of them have uncustomizable controls making some of the accessories unusable?)

Thanks!

Throw in Link's Crossbow Training while you are at it. There are high probability you will find it bundled with Wii Zapper.

Platy

Not a very traditional one (since you also control the character on screen star fox 64 style), but Sin & Punishment 2 has a "lightgun" control mode and it is awesome

slash000

Zeboyd Games
That's a solid light gun list.

I especially love Ghost Squad.

Recommendation:

Get a Perfect Shot for games like House of the Dead OVerkill and 2/3. Those games let you calibrate for 1:1 shot accuracy (if you stand far enough back). The Perfect Shot shell works great for those.

For Ghost Squad:
This game you should pick up a Wii Zapper with Link's CBT. Ghost Squad was designed to be played with a sorta... sub machine gun accessory? Anyway, the game is more intuitive IMO with a Wii Zapper since you'll want to hold it like a rifle and you'll need access to the Nunchuck during gameplay, at least if you want the full experience.

Ghost Squad also supports 1:1 calibration.

The others can be played with or without a Gun shell.. I actually don't remember if DS Extraction or the Resi games work better with one.. I think I played those with the Wii Zapper..

The Wii Zapper doesn't really do anything except give you some stabilization, which actually mattered to me for games like the Resi shooters, Link's CBT, and Dead Space iirc.

Anyway, solid list there of lightgun shooters.

BiggNife

The top 4 that you listed are all great. Personally I wasn't a fan of the RE Chronicles games but I know some people like them.

I personally don't think a gun accessory is nescessary at all but if you want one, get a pistol case like this one http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OMTBPJ0/?tag=neogaf0e-20 it's basically a Perfect Shot but PSes are way more expensive these days.

I am not really a fan of the official zapper, it's weird.

I love how, with the myriad of weird, plastic shells that came out for the Wii remote (like tennis rackets, golf clubs and whatnot), the Perfect Shot was IMO by far the most useful one.

Throw in Link's Crossbow Training and have yourself a really good time. Enjoy the Darknut battle!

That's a solid light gun list.

I especially love Ghost Squad.

Recommendation:

Get a Perfect Shot for games like House of the Dead OVerkill and 2/3. Those games let you calibrate for 1:1 shot accuracy (if you stand far enough back). The Perfect Shot shell works great for those.

For Ghost Squad:
This game you should pick up a Wii Zapper with Link's CBT. Ghost Squad was designed to be played with a sorta... sub machine gun accessory? Anyway, the game is more intuitive IMO with a Wii Zapper since you'll want to hold it like a rifle and you'll need access to the Nunchuck during gameplay, at least if you want the full experience.

Ghost Squad also supports 1:1 calibration.

The others can be played with or without a Gun shell.. I actually don't remember if DS Extraction or the Resi games work better with one.. I think I played those with the Wii Zapper..

The Wii Zapper doesn't really do anything except give you some stabilization, which actually mattered to me for games like the Resi shooters, Link's CBT, and Dead Space iirc.

Anyway, solid list there of lightgun shooters.

This guy knows what he's talking about.

Ghost Squad is amazing. Also it might even be the only game that allows for proper Z-button shooting on the Wii Zapper instead of that weird B button lever.

However for most of those games you probably want the perfect shot. Nice list though, I think the only really janky/sorta poo one is Umbrella Chronicles.

slash000

Zeboyd Games
How far is far enough? With my TV setup, I could be about 80-90 inches away from the screen

Depends on distance and also size of TV. You also need a lag-free setup for 1:1 calibration (obviously), which means use either a CRT or.... some kind of upscaler that has almost 0 upscale lag.

I played these games 1:1 on a CRT, the TV was 32 inches, and I was about 90 inches away IIRC.

most of the 'Hunting Arcade' games on the Wii kinda suck, Buck Fever is actually pretty good. Easily the best of the Buck Hunter-Alike genre that's on the Wii (that I've played, there's just so many).

Martian Panic ain't half bad neither (pretty difficult in fact).

81qs3SP6B0L._SL500_.jpg
81p0DWEZ0BL._SL500_.jpg

slash000

Zeboyd Games
I just remembered; the Medal of Honor Heroes 2 game for Wii is a decentish WWII FPS, but it has a .. "casual mode" or something which basically lets you play every level as a light gun shooter on automatic rails. I remember playing the SP game as a normal shooter but I don't recall the specifics of the lightgun mode.

edit: I'm a huge fan of Dead Space Extraction as well, loved the game. I also love Dead Space proper, but, the Wii game is awesome in its own right IMO.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
For the Dead Space Extraction comment, I'll toss in it's a very good game, BUT maybe the proceed with caution warning was with some design decisions in that game, you can swap out weapons and some bosses are a LOT harder if you get to them and you don't have the right loadout for the boss, and due to the way the game is designed you have to start the mission all-over to change your load-out and the missions in that game aren't exactly short.

The worst of this is Chapter 9, where the boss at the end is really tough if you don't have a good loadout. Word to the wise, when going into Chapter 9, keep an assault rifle on hand with as much ammo as possible for the boss, other weapons will work but that helps a lot

However, I think completely worth playing, Some fun on-rail mechanics, some good gameplay, Dead Space's dismemberment system lends itself well to an on-rail shooter, some good horror spooky moments, and in my opinion Extraction actually has a good story.

Llyranor

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll look into these games I hadn't heard about
Depends on distance and also size of TV. You also need a lag-free setup for 1:1 calibration (obviously), which means use either a CRT or.... some kind of upscaler that has almost 0 upscale lag.

I played these games 1:1 on a CRT, the TV was 32 inches, and I was about 90 inches away IIRC.
I'm pretty sure I have a Sony 40" LED. How screwed am I?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
My favorite lightgun shell is the Nerf one. Nice and thick with good weight and a fairly satisfying trigger. The Perfect Shot is a close second — it's lighter, if you prefer that.

The second Nerf game, Nerf N-Strike Elite, isn't bad. The first N-Strike game is basically a shoot-the-targets simulator, but the second one (Elite) is a proper lightgun game.

Everything on the OP's list is good, as is the suggestion above of L.A. Machineguns & Gunblade N.Y.

slash000

Zeboyd Games
Thanks for the recommendations, I'll look into these games I hadn't heard about
I'm pretty sure I have a Sony 40" LED. How screwed am I?

I dunno... the Wii only goes up to 480p. How good is your TV at upscaling non-digital, non-HD signals? Honestly any more than a tiny bit of lag is really gonna make these games tough to play I expect. Games like House of the Dead and Ghost Squad require *very* fast reflexes, and input lag necessarily creates, well, a lag between when a zombie shows up and when the image is displayed on screen. Games that require less reflex but more precision (like the Resi games) will still be kinda tough with upscale lag because the cursor is gonna feel like it's moving slightly behind where you're pointing, ya know?

Llyranor

I dunno... the Wii only goes up to 480p. How good is your TV at upscaling non-digital, non-HD signals? Honestly any more than a tiny bit of lag is really gonna make these games tough to play I expect. Games like House of the Dead and Ghost Squad require *very* fast reflexes, and input lag necessarily creates, well, a lag between when a zombie shows up and when the image is displayed on screen. Games that require less reflex but more precision (like the Resi games) will still be kinda tough with upscale lag because the cursor is gonna feel like it's moving slightly behind where you're pointing, ya know?
Hmmmm. I am awful at knowing about these specs, so I guess this is something I found find out. Bear in mind I would be playing on the Wii U if that makes any difference.

My TV is the Sony 48" 1080p 60Hz LED Smart TV (KDL48W600B), which is supposed to have (relatively) low input lag. Does anyone know how I can check its adequacy? A quick google search talks about Gaming Mode and how it's supposed to be good for input lag, but no details on upscaling impact

I guess I can test on S&P2 and Dead Space Extraction (the only game I have from that list but haven't touched yet) when I get home

NDPsycho

If you can get it...

Nintendo%20Wii%20Gunblade%20NY%20and%20LA%20Machineguns%20Arcade%20Hits%20Pack%20Front%20Cover.jpg

Came to see if this was posted. Nice suggestion. Games are short and a bit dated graphics-wise, but are a blast. Wish we could have gotten a virtua cop collection.

Check to see if your local gamestop has one, it was pretty cheap there.

Also, the perfect shot gets my vote. Love it.

OP, you're forgetting Target Terror (Granted, it's not a great game). And also you're forgetting the most important one. Gunblade NY & L.A. Machines Arcade Hits Pack.

If you can get it...

Nintendo%20Wii%20Gunblade%20NY%20and%20LA%20Machineguns%20Arcade%20Hits%20Pack%20Front%20Cover.jpg

I got this complete for $2 from GameStop a couple of years ago and I was actually about to recommend this to the OP. I'm guessing that it goes for more than $2 now? Pure, tasty mid-to-late '90s Saturn-era arcade Sega, and while it doesn't have a familiar name like House of the Dead or Virtua Cop to tout on the label, I still very much recommend it.

Far Cry. And If I am right, it is not important which one. Not sure tho.

I've never gotten to play any of the series, so I've been intrigued by this release, but everything I've heard is that this is a dismally bad port of Far Cry Instincts: Evolution for the original Xbox.

Wasn't there a Mad Dog Mccree set for the Wii?

Yep, and it unfortunately has game-breaking glitches.

On the topic of Nyko's Perfect Shot being the best gun-shaped piece of plastic to throw your Wii Remote into, I should also mention Nyko's Action Pak, which is a combo pack of a standard Nyko Wand third-party Wii Remote (one of the better third party Wii Remotes, though) and a slightly smaller gun grip that only works with the Wand. It uses the extra contacts on the Wand to have pulling the trigger register as a button press directly, so I'd imagine that it might feel a bit better than the push-a-plastic-lever-to-push-the-B-button contraptions that you'd get (even from Nintendo themselves) otherwise. I also hear that unlike most of these, along with the B button, the A button can also be accessible directly from the Action Pak grip somehow for any games that use the A button to shoot, but I'm not sure of the specifics of that.

LaserHawk

I wish they had brought House of the Dead 1 and the Time Crisis games to Wii. Those were some of my favorite gun games at the arcade.

And I wish they'd bring the Silent Scope games to the WiiU right now. They could work like the Mona photography minigame in Game and Wario.

Llyranor

Ok, from the numerous recommendations, it sounds like I should really put Gunblade/LA one the priority list.

Does Ghost Squad play well with the Perfect Shot? I want to get away with just one accessory for all the games if possible

Tested out DS Extraction, I guess it's not really a direct aiming game so I couldn't test out how responsive my TV would be to a direct aiming game

Llyranor

Just a small update that since the creation of this thread, I got a few lightgun games under my belt. I haven't played too much of them yet, but been having fun. The Nyko Perfect Shot is a neat little device. I completely suck at dual-wielding :p

These are the ones I went with:
- Ghost Squad
- House of the Dead 2&3
- HOTD Overkill
- Dead Space Extraction
- Gunblade NY/LA Machines

I kinda wish they punched up the visuals on Gunblade NY and LA Machineguns... they looked way better in my nostalgic memories. lol

Top Bottom