• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colin Trevorrow talks Jurassic World 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
JurassicCast recently interviewed Jurassic World writer and Director Colin Trevorrow. If you have the time, give their Podcast a listen over here. It has some pretty cool insight from Colin about how approaches filmmaking, where he talks Jurassic World, Star Wars 9 and more.

Highlights about JW2, which he is writing (not directing) with Derek Connolly:

• They envisioned a trilogy from the very beginning, laying the groundwork for the sequels in Jurassic World.
  • Jurassic World based on Ian Malcolms quote "I'll tell you the problem with the scientific power that you're using here, it didn't require any discipline to attain it. You read what others had done and you took the next step. You didn't earn the knowledge for yourselves, so you don't take any responsibility for it. You stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as you could, and before you even knew what you had, you patented it, and packaged it, and slapped it on a plastic lunchbox, and now you're selling it." hence the corporate atmosphere, product placement and more.
  • Jurassic World 2 based upon Dr. Grants quote "The world has just changed so radically, and we're all running to catch up. Dinosaurs and man, two species separated by 65 million years of evolution have just been suddenly thrown back into the mix together. How can we possibly have the slightest idea what to expect?"
  • Departing from the parks and islands 'We've seen people chased by dinosaurs on the islands, it's time to explore new things and places'
  • It's about extraordinary things happening in our world. References alien invasion movies and how they focus on "What would happen, what would we do?"
  • Not about going bigger in scale, but bigger with the story and further exploring our relationship with animals, dinosaurs and the impact of bringing the animals back to life.
  • References the concept of 'Apple vs PC' again, as in the possibility of two manufacturers of Dinosaurs in the future.
  • Claire and Owen tied deeply to the universe going forward, both have 'opened Pandora's Box' in some regard and are 'responsible' for things to come.
  • They now have free reign in creating the films and expanding the universe. There were certain parameters for Jurassic World, but now the sky is the limit.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Bring back Malcolm.

[*]Not about going bigger in scale, but bigger with the story and further exploring our relationship with animals, dinosaurs and the impact of bringing the animals back to life.

[*]References the concept of 'Apple vs PC' again, as in the possibility of two manufacturers of Dinosaurs in the future.
[/LIST]

I think I like these two the most. Having another lab where they're making dinosaurs could open up some cool story ideas.

kewlmyc

Are we getting dinos running rampant around San Diego again?

Also how many people have to die for them to realize that bringing dinos back to life is a stupid idea.

[*]They now have free reign in creating the films and expanding the universe. There were certain parameters for Jurassic World, but now the sky is the limit.
[/LIST]
....feathers...?

Hahaha, never mind. Jurassic World left me with no real anticipation of a good future for the series.

The movies being built around the boring invincible hero Owen and his idiotic manager girlfriend Claire is especially dire.

Claire and Owen tied deeply to the universe going forward, both have 'opened Pandora's Box' in some regard and are 'responsible' for things to come.

But they didn't even do anything

Also, can't wait for Apple Dino

So they're trying to work their way up to the old Jurassic Park 4 idea (that was kicking around for ages) of militarized dinosaurs and possible dinosaur/human hybrids.

So they're trying to work their way up to the old Jurassic Park 4 idea (that was kicking around for ages) of militarized dinosaurs and possible dinosaur/human hybrids.

This was Spielberg's dream along with riding them. Pratt's character is 100% going to ride Blue either in this next one or the 6th film.

Allforce

The idea of another corporation opening their own version of Jurassic Park is interesting. Maybe they decide that a remote island isn't the most economically viable and open a park somewhere in the US or Europe.

Dino escape, chaos etc, bring in Owen who has experience dealing with these situations, blablabla

The idea of another corporation opening their own version of Jurassic Park is interesting.

It's not gonna be another park.

They're going to be weapons. We're gonna be dealing with a company making dinosaurs for nefarious purposes, and Pratt's character and a small military team going in with their own dinosaurs to fight them.

Parks are done.

I think the Jurassic Universe isn't a very flexible idea. Jurassic Park always seemed like a one time thing. Regardless, enough with the parks or dinos that were "under control".

Problem is the other ideas (ie dinos as weapons) sound too silly.

jett

D-Member
What groundwork was laid exactly? Man, just fuck off with this "we planned a trilogy all along" bullshit.

What groundwork was laid exactly? Man, just fuck off with this "we planned a trilogy all along" bullshit.

Pratt & D'onofrio's characters, specifically, which were the only parts of the movie that worked as intended - certainly wasn't the family aspect, or the romance aspect. The only thing they really nailed consistently was the idea that Pratt was ex-military who proved you can train these animals, and that D'onofrio was the opportunist who wanted to weaponize them once he saw what Pratt could do with them.

Wu was spirited away from the film's climax by the people pursuing the military applications. Pratt now has in-the-field experience being an active part of a dino-on-dino fight. So now you have an unscrupulous scientist, any number of potential buyers, a seller convinced these animals can be trained weapons, and a trainer who knows better. The set-up is there.

Pratt & D'onofrio's characters, specifically, which were the only parts of the movie that worked as intended - certainly wasn't the family aspect, or the romance aspect. The only thing they really nailed consistently was the idea that Pratt was ex-military who proved you can train these animals, and that D'onofrio was the opportunist who wanted to weaponize them once he saw what Pratt could do with them.

Wu was spirited away from the film's climax by the people pursuing the military applications. Pratt now has in-the-field experience being an active part of a dino-on-dino fight. So now you have an unscrupulous scientist, any number of potential buyers, a seller convinced these animals can be trained weapons, and a trainer who knows better. The set-up is there.

Seller is dead.

GAMEPROFF

Banned

Michael Crichton would spin in his grave when he would know this fan fiction bullshit. Man, I bet that we will see Raptors with guns at some point in this trilogy.

....feathers...?

Hahaha, never mind. Jurassic World left me with no real anticipation of a good future for the series.

The movies being built around the boring invincible hero Owen and his idiotic manager girlfriend Claire is especially dire.

With another manufacturer making dinosaurs maybe feathers aren't entirely out of the question.

eh I enjoyed JW

It wasn't terrible but man did it have some corny stuff in it. The first Jurassic Park (and to some extent the 2nd one too) was pretty terrifying at times. But Jurassic World was just so cheesy, and as soon as they talked about genetically engineering their own dinosaur I knew it would be. Basically just an easy way for them to explain all the unrealistic and lazy writing. I mean at the end, with the dinosaurs nodding to each other in understanding like people do? Just so damn stupid.

The first movies were more like thrillers, which is what you would hope for in a movie about loose dinosaurs terrorizing a park full of people. JW was just an action flick without any really tense moments.

Sephzilla

eh I enjoyed JW

Nothing wrong with that! Everyone has different tastes!

For me, I was disappointed by it. The movie felt like it was trying to be a Jurassic Park sequel without fully understanding what made the original movie work. I also thought it had some really stupid moments. Like
the pteranodons being scared out of their cage and all conveniently flying to where the humans, none of whom decided to just go back to their hotel rooms, are and attacking. And the I-Rex, despite never seeing another dinosaur before, knowing how to communicate with Raptors.

Manu

I think the Jurassic Universe isn't a very flexible idea. Jurassic Park always seemed like a one time thing. Regardless, enough with the parks or dinos that were "under control".

Problem is the other ideas (ie dinos as weapons) sound too silly.

The movie itself seemed to be conflicted about it, because on one hand everyone mentioned how stupid of an idea it was. But then the ending basically says "yeah, it's gonna happen anyway."

Nothing wrong with that! Everyone has different tastes!

For me, I was disappointed by it. The movie felt like it was trying to be a Jurassic Park sequel without fully understanding what made the original movie work. I also thought it had some really stupid moments. Like
the pteranodons being scared out of their cage and all conveniently flying to where the humans are and attacking. And the I-Rex, despite never seeing another dinosaur before, knowing how to communicate with Raptors.

The I-Rex had a sibling she killed.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I mean at the end, with the dinosaurs nodding to each other in understanding like people do? Just so damn stupid.
I still cant get over this. Really. Its just so insanely stupid, its like someone would make a movie scene where a cow talks to a goat.
The most stupid thing ive seen for a long long time, and then the moment where the raptor rode in the T-Rex. Oh man.

Tobor

Michael Crichton would spin in his grave when he would know this fan fiction bullshit. Man, I bet that we will see Raptors with guns at some point in this trilogy.

Oh please. Crichton wrote pulp novels with a scientific twist. He wouldn't have a problem with this. It's the natural "evolution" of the concept.

aka jurassic park 5?

Honestly, I think they consider JP 1-3 the Jurassic Park trilogy, and these films the Jurassic World trilogy.

They even went as far as changing the JP3 logo to a T.rex so the franchise utlizes the same brand imagery across all the films.

This is something Jurassic World needed a lot more of.

Agreed.

I think I like these two the most. Having another lab where they're making dinosaurs could open up some cool story ideas.

I really like the idea of the animals reintegrating into the wild, and dealing with the concept of invasive species and their impact on the ecosystem.

Invasive species that eat people.

....feathers...?

I hope.

If we see two sources of Dinosaurs I don't see any reason not to include them.

I honestly think they're working their way away from that concept. Jurassic World turned the concept into something much more palatable.

Wu, and InGen operating with military contracts. Genetically modified raptors.

Also, they did plan a trilogy. There are quotes from as early as 2011 saying as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom