• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

System 3 announces Last Ninja HD. Kickstarter opens late October

Aku-Audi

System 3 said:
After popular support from the community, System 3 are pleased to confirm that it will crowd fund a new Last Ninja HD game. Last Ninja will be 30 years old in 2017 and we plan to start the crowd funding towards the end of October this year.

However we need your continued support. Before we launch the crowd fund we need YOU the fans to continue backing us. For a game to be successfully crowd funded you need at least 10,000 backers. Please like the System 3 Facebook home page which will allow us to continue to listen to you and keep you informed of all developments.

https://www.facebook.com/System3Games/

Man I remember them announcing plans for Last Ninja on the SNES, then PSX, then PS2 and now HD. Hopefully now we will actually get a new game, as I always loved the series. They gotta bring back Ben Daglish and Matt Gray for the soundtrack though.

Last Ninja 1 OST
Last Ninja 2 OST

Holy crap! I remember playing through The Last Ninja games as a kid. Those C64 games were some of my earliest videogame memories. The music was, and is, amazing to this day. The sounds they were able to pull off on that old SID chip was incredible.

Funnily enough, just this past weekend, my dad and I were talking about The Last Ninja and whatever happened to System 3. Count me in!

epmode

Those soundtracks blew my mind back in the day. They really stood out when compared to the far shorter and less complex compositions in NES games of the time.

lazygecko

Would that be a reimagining or just a straight remake? Honestly, I don't think the original Last Ninja games are that great from a gameplay perspective. I'm not sure what you could do to iterate on the format.

I see that System 3 are also remaking Constructor, and I'm way more excited about that. Really underappreciated strategy/builder game from the 90's.

Aku-Audi

Yeah the gameplay hasn't aged too well and is a product of its time for sure, but the story (the little there is) and atmosphere can most definitely be used for a reimagining. I'd like to see a ninja stroll down the streets of New York and pick up a hot dog in HD.

Fredrik

Oh My God! Yesss! One of my favorite games of all times and easily the one that gets me the most nostalgic. Just listening to the music nearly makes me cry tears of joy. And it's good ol System 3 doing it too. I would rather see Last Ninja 4 but this is still the Shenmue 3 moment for me. Yup I will definitely back this! :)

Ninjas are still cool. I've been saying this for years now. I've been wanting a ninja resurgence in games for a while now. Hopefully this satisfies.

Iced

System 3 needs to reach out to Matt Gray. He's currently running his own kickstarter, remixing many of his classic chip tunes (including TLN tracks).

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1289191009/reformation-c64-track-remakes-by-matt-gray-last-ni

I really hope System 3 treats this remake seriously, though. Don't "omg 80s" the hell out of it like Double Dragon Neon. Give it the dignity it deserves. (This, assuming they're only remaking the original Last Ninja. Last Ninja 2 was a bit more a product of its time, and the whole "ninja in New York" thing could possibly benefit having a slightly campy tone.)

Amazing game. Got stuck on level 2 for about 12 months til by cousin showed me how to jump over the water and find the flashy thing so i could get past that damn fire breathing stone dragon. No internet guides back then!

Still standout music

Fredrik

System 3 needs to reach out to Matt Gray. He's currently running his own kickstarter, remixing many of his classic chip tunes (including TLN tracks).

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1289191009/reformation-c64-track-remakes-by-matt-gray-last-ni

I really hope System 3 treats this remake seriously, though. Don't "omg 80s" the hell out of it like Double Dragon Neon. Give it the dignity it deserves. (This, assuming they're only remaking the original Last Ninja. Last Ninja 2 was a bit more a product of its time, and the whole "ninja in New York" thing could possibly benefit having a slightly campy tone.)
If this is an HD remaster then I hope they keep it like the original but with HD graphics, maybe painted like Bastion or something like that. They toyed with making LN4 3D like Ninja Gaiden iirc but I fear that would be bad, they shouldn't stray too far away from what they're good at. And getting the old guys back would probably make the Kickstarter get better funding, John Twiddy, Ben Daglish and Anthony Lees if possible, etc, the well-known System 3 LN guys. And Mark Cale is still the head of System 3 I believe so he's in too. I want to see those names in the intro credits. :)

Fredrik

Amazing game. Got stuck on level 2 for about 12 months til by cousin showed me how to jump over the water and find the flashy thing so i could get past that damn fire breathing stone dragon. No internet guides back then!

Still standout music
Hehe yup it was brutal to complete it the first time, some jumps are beyond frustrating, but the jump mechanic makes perfect sense though when you learn it, the whole control scheme is actually extremely advanced for it's time, and with only one button and an 8-way joystick. I think I completed it in 45 minutes last time on Wii VC without rushing so it's not really a long game, it's just very hard.

ArjanN

The-Last-Ninja-eyes.jpg

Hnngg. My nostalgia.

Hehe yup it was brutal to complete it the first time, some jumps are beyond frustrating, but the jump mechanic makes perfect sense though when you learn it, the whole control scheme is actually extremely advanced for it's time, and with only one button and an 8-way joystick. I think I completed it in 45 minutes last time on Wii VC without rushing so it's not really a long game, it's just very hard.

45 minutes! Seemed MASSIVE as an 8 year old. I guess all that tape loading added a fair bit to the play time though

Enk

makes good threads.
Ooooooooh!

This and Cauldron were pretty much my "go to" games on the C64. The game had its problems (mainly the platforming portions), but The Last Ninja rocked my britches off when I was young. I know System 3 has been trying to get this game off the ground for quite some time, and I very much look forward to see what they do with the series. Just please keep the rockin soundtrack!

Santar

I think they need to completely remake the game. They should try to use some of the concepts, but just the same gameplay from the old game repainted with a HD visual isn't going to cut it today.
And they should of course use the same music themes.

Iced

According to Matt Gray on his Facebook page, he has been in talks with System3 regarding the remake. He says it's a possibility that he'll be working on it.

Santar

According to Matt Gray on his Facebook page, he has been in talks with System3 regarding the remake. He says it's a possibility that he'll be working on it.

Why not Ben Daglish I wonder? He did the soundtrack to the first game.

I;m still not sure how my 12 year old self managed to make all of those pixel perfect jumps onto stones over water. Also God Tier OST for both 1&2. Anyone who likes chip music should listen if they haven't already.

AmyS

I remember Last Ninja was one of the games announced for the ill-fated Konix MultiSystem in the UK.

System 3 was supporting the KMS.

(from EGM and VG&CE circia 1989 and 1990)

ey7OvGO.jpg

There are prototypes of KMS Last Ninja 2 floating around.

Santar

Does anybody know what happened with this?
I've been searching around and can't find any mention on if the kickstarter was just canceled or anything.
Such a shame as it would be very interesting to see what a new Last Ninja game would be.
(Sorry for the old bump)

Top Bottom