• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer hopes VR doesn't become the exclusive future of games

Talking to GameSpot about whether he believed VR and AR would form the future of gaming, Spencer said: "Well, now it's just my opinion. I'll say, obviously we have relationships with Valve, we have a relationship with Oculus around the VR work that they're doing, but I'm going to say I kind of hope not.

"It doesn't mean I don't think VR has great experiences to offer. I think it does, and we'll find those, and people will love playing those. I love playing games in my family room with my kids. I love people coming together and watching what's happening on screen and laughing, and the kind of fun of what video games were always about. That doesn't mean that can't happen in a kind of socially connected VR environment, but to me it would be too bad if all gaming became people with head mounted displays on, headphones on, kind of blocked out from everything that happens."

"there'll be great experiences there, but just kind of for the sake of what gaming is, I don't think that should be the only way people play."

"I think there will be certain experiences where that's perfect," he said. "I don't know necessarily if it will be genre based, but I just love me watching you play Mario and giving you ideas about where things might be, and we laugh, and we can kind of sit around and eat chips, and do things that people do. I think that's kind of the basis of what gaming is about."

http://www.videogamer.com/news/phil_spencer_hopes_vr_doesnt_become_the_future_of_games.html

ZeroGravity

"There'll be great experiences there, but just kind of for the sake of what gaming is, I don't think that should be the only way people play."
I don't think even the most hardcore people into VR think this either, so I don't know who he's arguing against.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Says the man from the company that really brought online gaming to the maintstream. Reads like a behind the curve statement ala Nintendo.

Banned
I agree. There's room for VR though and it doesn't need to become the default way to play games in the future.

Krakn3Dfx

I'm excited for Oculus, but I totally agree with him, the idea of all gaming being VR based in the future is pretty depressing.

Alx

I agree too, but that's hardly a big statement. "There will be nice stuff, but hopefully other experiences will remain and develop too". That's true for everything : motion games, mobile games, AAA games, simulators, MMOs, online/offline games, indies, shooters...
It wouldn't be healthy to have a single medium for gaming, whatever its nature.

KeRaSh

Didn't Nintendo say the same thing about not wanting people to play on their own with a HMD? It probably won't replace regular gaming but it will be great for specific games and I do want the option to exist and succeed.

He's right. VR being the standard is a problem.

It will mess up how I play. I have a family and I'm not willing to shut myself off like that.

Footos22

Phil Spencer says something, thread 9046.

Its not supposed to be the future of gaming. Its another way to play.
I expect the amount of people that play on their own in their home outweighs people that play together in the same room anyway.

jesu

I don't think even the most hardcore people into VR think this either, so I don't know who he's arguing against.

Well it was the question put to him

I don't think I've ever read your opinions on the future of VR and AR. Is that the future, do you think? Are games heading inevitably down that path where that technology is an essential part of what we do with gaming?

JordanN

Banned
but to me it would be too bad if all gaming became people with head mounted displays on, headphones on, kind of blocked out from everything that happens."

Remove the head mounted part and that's basically what gaming is right now.

In fact, I don't see what makes VR really different then how current games are made. If you play an online game, you have no idea what people on the otherside of the world look like or are doing.

There is a place for all kinds of different experiences, from solo to massively multiplayer. I see what he is saying, and agree to an extent, but I'm sure VR can be a social experience too.

I hope specifically headset VR isn't the future of games.

More interested in AR stuff myself, though all of that looks kinda cheap at the moment.

Footos22

Remove the head mounted part and that's basically what gaming is right now.

In fact, I don't see what makes VR really different then how current games are made. If you play an online game, you have no idea what people on the otherside of the world look like or are doing.

That and if someones watching you play its not like the game isnt playing on the screen at the same time anyway.

faridmon

I agree with him.

There is something about sitting in front of a screen and play that seems engaging to me while not being oblivious to my surrounding.

cireza

I agree with him. At a lower degree, this is also true with online gaming.

Playing is something that I like when it is shared with people in the same room. Otherwise, it is simply not the same experience at all.

Mihos

Gold Member
I don't think anyone expects it to replace anything.

It is a new thing and a will find it's own way. it's also the most awesome new thing to come along in a long, long time.

If you think VR is going to be a solo thing... then your in for a big surprise.

Alx

Er, the part "seeing everthing that happens" refers to what happens in the room in which you are playing. Which is an important aspect for people who live with other people.

harSon

Banned
Phil Spencer says something, thread 9046.

Its not supposed to be the future of gaming. Its another way to play.
I expect the amount of people that play on their own in their home outweighs people that play together in the same room anyway.

Why does it bother you so much?

ZeroGravity

Well it was the question put to him
The key part of that question is "essential part". As in, it's merely an important PART of gaming in the future, but not necessarily the only form it it. And I think that's an inevitability anyway and just an extension of how games have, and continue to become, more immersive over time.

That's not the same question as "Do you think VR should be the only form of gaming in the future?" which is where that answer comes in. No one is saying that.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Company that has no VR solution hopes that VR isn't the future.

Hololens on the other hand...

KORNdoggy

but I just love me watching you play Mario and giving you ideas about where things might be, and we laugh, and we can kind of sit around and eat chips, and do things that people do. I think that's kind of the basis of what gaming is about

wish that was on his mind concerning halo (yes, i'm still bitter about that lack of local split screen modes)

def sim

Wow, that was a quick title change. The original had me expecting something actually silly and not the completely reasonable response he made.

Top Bottom