• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Riot (LOL) asks teams to remove G2A logos because of sponsorship ban

Tripon

Riot Games is considering banning G2A from sponsoring League of Legends professional teams, leaving the game key reseller in limbo.

G2A has run into trouble with the game developer thanks to a listing on its site promoting services from a third party that sells League accounts and offers elo boosting services, both of which are direct violations of the Riot Games terms of service and the League Championship Series rulebook.

But Riot already banned them on Sept. 18th.

This was NOT a decision we made lightly, and came after many weeks of back and fourth conversations with G2A to find a resolution, which we were not able to reach an agreement on. We do not at all enjoy affecting the income of the teams, but the LCS rules include guidelines specifically against this sort of thing. We did however keep teams in the loop during the process in an attempt to avoid any surprises.

http://www.dailydot.com/esports/riot-g2a-sponsorship-ban/

Sell me a key if old.

Haunted

Kinguin (the other big reseller/esports sponsor) already pulled all their sponsorships a while ago. G2A will probably be next.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
G2A continues to be incredibly shady.

Valkrai

Cloud9 am cry

D'oh, they already removed it out of Riot's request. I thought it would be weird for them as their name is Cloud9 G2A.

For clarification, G2A was mostly banned due to the fact that they sell League of Legends accounts and ELO boosting services on their site.

Basically, Riot said "pull that stuff or get banned" and G2A must have refused, so now they got the boot. Whatever. Shady sites get what they deserve.

But how will people get there 0.12% discounts?

Hopefully G2A can bounce back. It is only a matter of time before they secure their next big deal and appear on the title screen of MGS5.

Annubis

I wonder why anyone would use them as a sponsor.

They're definitely shady and have been having issues with a ton of game companies.

Well, there aren't that many companies willing to invest in e-sport sponsorship.
Even more so out of Asia.

That said, it's good that they gave the boot to G2A and hopefully a better site will fill its sponsorship void.

inner-G

Banned
Almost all the ads I see on GAF are for G2A and I don't even reply play PC games much. So I hate that place/thing

Well, there aren't that many companies willing to invest in e-sport sponsorship.
Even more so out of Asia.

That said, it's good that they gave the boot to G2A and hopefully a better site will fill its sponsorship void.

Well I was talking more about the thousands of streamers with G2A links.

Last time G2A was in hot water, a streamer was like "I don't have an opinion of it. I think they're good." Seriously has no idea how much damage is being caused by G2A.

Vash63

Great, now Valve needs to follow suit. G2A is on practically every pro CS:GO team and they've always seemed shady.

Well I was talking more about the thousands of streamers with G2A links.

Last time G2A was in hot water, a streamer was like "I don't have an opinion of it. I think they're good." Seriously has no idea how much damage is being caused by G2A.

Honestly do you have any idea how much damage G2A causes? Or any evidence that supports that claim?

G2A is definitely shady but I fail to see the damage they specifically cause. It's not like they are the sole key reseller marketplace and it's not like they actively participate or incentivize illegal activities.

What I hate most is that the site is constructed so that when I try to hit the search bar it loads fully and makes me click on the gold farm button. That alone was the reason I stopped using the site.

Honestly do you have any idea how much damage G2A causes? Or any evidence that supports that claim?

G2A is definitely shady but I fail to see the damage they specifically cause. It's not like they are the sole key reseller marketplace and it's not like they actively participate or incentivize illegal activities.

What I hate most is that the site is constructed so that when I try to hit the search bar it loads fully and makes me click on the gold farm button. That alone was the reason I stopped using the site.

Hackers steal keys and use G2A to resell them. It's that simple.

And it's as simple as googling it to find all the sources. Most prominent being Ubisoft deactivating keys used on Origin from keys bought from G2A/Kinguin.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Good. Shady companies like G2A don't belong in this industry and it is high time we, as gamers, make the statement that we won't put up with them.

I3rand0

Why does neogaf support their ads if they're so "shady"?

No idea but that one trippy ad on mobile is giving me seizures.

uAbe01a.png

Storm360

Not about G2A specially but about key sellers in general, I can also provide more examples when I get home

http://unknownworlds.com/blog/beware-shady-key-resellers-and-discount-steam-keys/

L.O.R.D

Why does neogaf support their ads if they're so "shady"?

No idea but that one trippy ad on mobile is giving me seizures.

uAbe01a.png

People see g2a ads because this how ad system works
For example, if you don't search for g2a on your browser and don't enter threads talking about them then you won't see them
it's all based on your web history

another example, if you search for sexy lady , you may see an ad for sexy lady in the thread

Dr.Acula

Banned
For example, if you don't search for g2a on your browser and don't enter threads talking about them then you won't see them

another example, if you search for sexy lady , you may see an ad for sexy lady in the thread

The ads are handled through a service and GAF has some say as to what kind and type of ads are here. Screen takeover or loud ads are banned here. Some ads have been rejected for content, although I cannot remember specifics, GAF has say if they don't want a specific company advertising on here.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
G2A is the draftkings/fanduel of video games.

Popped up seemingly overnight, are incredibly shady, and are fucking EVERYWHERE.

I browse GAF using private on my phone and incognito on my pc, and I still get the g2a ads.

Is it Google ads?

It's probably also ad targeting to the website content.

Hackers steal keys and use G2A to resell them. It's that simple.

And it's as simple as googling it to find all the sources. Most prominent being Ubisoft deactivating keys used on Origin from keys bought from G2A/Kinguin.

And Ubisoft never provided any proof nor does that say anything about G2A's or Kinguin's involvement.

Didn't G2A even replace them? Not to mention that those are the exception not the rule otherwise the site wouldn't be able to hold a customer base.

We had a gaffer in the last G2A thread explain over half a dozen comments how these sites get a lot of their keys from him legally.

And Ubisoft never provided any proof nor does that say anything about G2A's or Kinguin's involvement.

Didn't G2A even replace them? Not to mention that those are the exception not the rule otherwise the site wouldn't be able to hold a customer base.

We had a gaffer in the last G2A thread explain over half a dozen comments how these sites get a lot of their keys from him legally.

Sounds like we have a G2A spokesperson here.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world

This thread is explicitly about G2A reselling League accounts against the TOS. Most of these are hacked/stolen/botted.

This thread is explicitly about G2A reselling League accounts against the TOS. Most of these are hacked/stolen/botted.

breaking ToS and botting isn't illegal, most users do it all the time (not the botting). What's the difference between hacked and stolen and is there any evidence to these allegations?

G2A is shady, heck they blatantly put the option of tax evasion into their customers hands, but if they are actually directly involved in anything illegal they are rather crafty about it.

Top Bottom