• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G.I.biz interviews Sony's Michael Denny on PSVR: "We have a plug and play system"

Man

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...y-of-psvr-is-that-we-have-the-ps4-to-power-it

Getting VR into the hands of the public is hard. You have a great install base, P&P capacity, a direct gaming audience. Do you agree with the analysts who have predicted that you'll be the winners in this round of VR as a result?

What we expect is to be able to deliver a fantastic PSVR experience to our customers and consumers and you mention a lot of reasons there that I absolutely buy into. We have a large installed base of keen gamers who we know want to try these new experiences, and we have a plug and play system.

I agree with you as well that there'll be a massive word of mouth aspect to the marketing. While there are lots of gameplay experiences, there are also things like The Deep - you can put your mum in that. I've yet to see someone take the headset off and not have a big reaction to it, a good reaction.

I think the main thing when you're looking at something new is, 'Is it a genuinely differentiated and great experience?' And this is.

Sony completed the acquisition of the Softkinetic sensor firm earlier this year. Will Move and PlayStation Eye evolve before/after PSVR's release as a result?

I think that the beauty of PSVR is that we have the PS4 to power it, we have tried and tested input devices and controllers that work fantastically well. I think the experiences we're showing off are a testament to that. At the moment we're really pleased with the ecosystem we have for VR.

Dio

Banned
The thing I'm most excited about for this is RIGS. I've always wanted a virtual reality mech game, and the aesthetic hits all the right buttons for me.

Fisty

They are definitely in a great position with PSVR, but this got me:
Getting VR into the hands of the public is hard. You have a great install base, P&P capacity, a direct gaming audience. Do you agree with the analysts who have predicted that you'll be the winners in this round of VR as a result?
Somebody's playing softball with Sony

The thing I'm most excited about for this is RIGS. I've always wanted a virtual reality mech game, and the aesthetic hits all the right buttons for me.
RIGS,gt sport,driveclub(jus a demo for now)and whether people want to admit it or not summer lesson. Can all be big hits

jet1911

They are definitely in a great position with PSVR, but this got me:
Somebody's playing softball with Sony

sanstitret4orz.png

Why not? Its 60 fps and they had pics and vids of them messing around with the rift on twitter a while back.

You can't compare PC VR solutions graphics wise to what the PS4 is going to be able to push.

I mean you can compare relative value since PC builds are going to have to be damn expensive to run modern games...but there aren't going to be in the same ballpark.

You can't compare PC VR solutions graphics wise to what the PS4 is going to be able to push.

I mean you can compare relative value since PC builds are going to have to be damn expensive to run modern games...but there aren't going to be in the same ballpark.

Here we go again...

RIGS,gt sport,driveclub(jus a demo for now)and whether people want to admit it or not summer lesson. Can all be big hits

If the price is right a tech demo can be a huge hit. People have wanted VR for a long time coming. If the product was on a shelf at a consumer friendly price, we'd buy it. I do hope Sony takes the time it wants to get it right though. We don't want another Move.

Crayon

Sony is in position to become an early leader in vr. It's the only one that runs off a console and the game support is looking like it's going to be strong.

If the price is right a tech demo can be a huge hit. People have wanted VR for a long time coming. If the product was on a shelf at a consumer friendly price, we'd buy it. I do hope Sony takes the time it wants to get it right though. We don't want another Move.
Hardware wise i think they nailed it. I honestly think the only reason its not out yet is because they don't want another move situation. This needs to launch with games, a nice selection and with a clear schedule of more to come gradually

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Why not? Its 60 fps and they had pics and vids of them messing around with the rift on twitter a while back.

From the gameplay videos I saw it is not hitting a consistent 60fps. Given that, I also think the nature of procedurally rendered assets is already pushing the PS4, you see a lot of pop-in, PS VR would seem like too much for this small team.

Sure, I hope I am wrong.

viHuGi

Banned

i give VR on PC 2 years before it goes away, on PS4 im way more otimistic.

Most people wont buy a 1000$ Pc to use VR (Plus 300$) on it, most people play League and CS and Dota on their laptops wont even care about that, 99.5% of people dont own high end Pc that can run VR.

Now Gran Turismo VR, that is a whole new story and with a Console that costs 350$ the entry is much more cheap and easier for the mainstream consumer wich is what matters.

Ps VR will destroy competition but i hope the others can do well and profit aswell, you too HTC <3

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/directx/

jaypah

i give VR on PC 2 years before it goes away, on PS4 im way more otimistic.

Most people wont buy a 1000$ Pc to use VR (Plus 300$) on it, most people play League and CS and Dota on their laptops wont even care about that, 99.5% of people dont own high end Pc that can run VR.

Now Gran Turismo VR, that is a whole new story and with a Console that costs 350$ the entry is much more cheap and easier for the mainstream consumer wich is what matters.

Ps VR will destroy competition but i hope the others can do well and profit aswell, you too HTC <3

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/directx/

So you really expect PC VR to be around for 2 years? Man, that's a wild prediction. I think PSVR looks great too but, wow.

Can we not do the pc vs psvr stuff here as well. I want both to be successful and i have no interest in pc.

Exactly, I don't get why PC players have to boast about something that's obviously cost $1000+VR price to do, it ain't superior VR if it costs more to reach it. Let's just enjoy whatever VR headset we buy.

I've been skeptical and I've tried VR a few times.

I'll say though I'm impressed with how much software Sony is making sure supports it. They are definitely trying and are starting to really pique my interest.

jaypah

Amusing though how Oculus is hell-bent on stealing exclusives away from Vive, cannibalizing and splitting the overall PC VR-market.

Yeah that's pretty annoying. But hopefully the majority of the games will probably work across both. I'm going to own all 3 at some point so I'm not terribly bothered.

Lord Phol

Amusing though how Oculus is hell-bent on splitting the overall PC VR-market by making certain titles pc-exclusive away from Vive.

Yeah this kind of business practice has pretty much nullified any hype I had for Occulus. Mainly looking at PSVR and Vive to cover my VR itch atm.

hawk2025

Amusing though how Oculus is hell-bent on splitting the overall PC VR-market by making certain titles pc-exclusive away from Vive.

The Driveclub + RIGS + Gran Turismo combo has locked down my PSVR purchase, but I'm still torn on which PC device to get because of this (despite already having a DK2).

Leaning Oculus due to the Touch, though. Just need to hear a little bit more to be sure.

He's not wrong. It does bug me that they haven't given us a closer time frame though. Hopefully we get some news out of PSX in Decemeber.

Here we go again...
The PC options will in all likelihood be better, depending on the machines running them, but to say they won't even be in the same ballpark is the dumbest kind of hyberbole.

How dare I respond to the guy who said he saw No Man's Sky on a PC VR kit and thought that meant the PS4 + Morpheus could run it.

I even brought up the relative costs and value.

Sean Murray has also responded to Interviews where he was asked if the title was gonna support PSVR. His answers have been dodgy at best. I don't get why you say PS4 can't run NMS when the game is procedurally generated which means it doesn't run almost anything on the disc and the headset is doing most of the work with reprojection to 120hz which the other headsets don't even support.

BumRush

I didn't think VR was going to take off, but it could really be the next "wii" moment with how simple Sony is making it.

Good to see that they mentioned the install base is at over 25 mil. I wonder if we'll get numbers for Sony's financials.

The PS4 price drop is worldwide now, how will that affect sales?

I don't think there's a better time to buy into PlayStation - PS4 particularly. Our installed base now is well over 25 million. That gives us a massive community of gamers, supported by a lot of new community features. We've got great games out there, more coming through. We're looking forward to 2016, it's an exciting time.

Tagyhag

Sony stands to gain the most out of the casual and mainstream market. I have tried all 3 devices, Sony's is clearly the weakest product. But it will be the easiest to use and the cheapest to maintain, and that's what the main public wants.

If they stick to "We have the easiest plug and play VR system" they could stand to win over more people.

But come on guys, PC VR dying in 2 years? The Oculus isn't officially out yet and you have the most popular streamers already using the dev kits. Do you think they'll stick to the headset with an open library or a closed one where you'll never be able to be fully creative?

TBiddy

Really excited to see the first reviews and the price of this. And how many games support this, also.

I think VR really needs a pack in game.
Something people show off to their friends when they come over.

It was like that for the Wii and wii sports.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I sense lots of disappointment for many playstation fans in this thread in the coming years.

Top Bottom