• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue 3 Month 3 Progress Report with screenshots

Spaghetti

heh

You can see the same concerns on every page by different users. Not sure why you are fighting this fight if it exactly just a thread about early screenshots.
and i never said you were the only one, but still the minority.

i don't really care, i just think getting worried about consistency over art direction because of two screenshots from month 3 of a 29 month development is reductive and knee-jerky.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's amazing to see Shenmue with visuals like that.

I would have been completely okay with the original engine being ported to 3DS, and it being released on that. Or ported to the Wii.

The fact that we get Shenmue on PS4, with all the bells and whistles three generations of hardware advancement can get you is well... almost too much for my little heart to take.

MilkBeard

Nice to see the update. Can't wait to see when they actually get some real work done on some locals and be able to see the videos.

First thing I do when I turn on Shenmue 3 is go to a capsule toy dispenser and put in money until I see the little chibi version of me pop out.

rd9khtI.jpg

First thing I'm gonna do is find my dice head. :D

Spaghetti

What if the fighting is really fucking good. Like, a videogame version of a Jet Li movie.

Like, Platinum-level.
interesting proposition, but i don't think it'll go in a platinum direction.

yu said in the recent dualshockers/fan interview that the combat will take a more cinematic slant, but i'm reading that as being able to do some flashier moves instead of ignoring its contact fighting/virtua fighter roots.

probably means more moves like

B9VZKfy.gif

and

GeK5i7c.gif

ajim

Ryo looks really good. Glad they nailed his design.
He still has a little bit to go to be perfect, otherwise it's a great improvement.

I seriously can't wait until this is released. I'm going to book annual leave for a few weeks just to play it.

John Wick

The originals had a very authentic arcade-y AM2 look, which this third chapter totally lacks, sadly. I can't think how such an approach would work in 2015, but hopefully we'll get to see one day if VF6 ever turns up.

Because the first games had AAA budgets.

Yeah. Games development has gotten more expensive, and inflation means you get far less bang for your buck than you did in the late '90s. Expect this game to be a teeny tiny fraction of the Shenmue experience we're used to.

I'm sure Yu Suzuki mentioned the reason why the original games cost so much was because a) They built the whole thing from scratch with their own tools,engine etc.B) Also nothing like Shenmue had been made on console before.
You'll find they'll be able to do loads more with a smaller budget than back then. Everything is simplified and there are tools and engines already available.

Neff

I'm sure Yu Suzuki mentioned the reason why the original games cost so much was because a) They built the whole thing from scratch with their own tools,engine etc.B) Also nothing like Shenmue had been made on console before.
You'll find they'll be able to do loads more with a smaller budget than back then. Everything is simplified and there are tools and engines already available.

I've no doubt that the advances in tools over the last decade and a half improve the effectiveness of games development exponentially, but even with such advantages, I just don't see Suzuki being able to make a Shenmue-sized game on 6-10m with a drastically smaller team. After all, nobody else has been able to.

I'm struggling to understand how an open world game can be great without a large budget. Is there a precedence for this? If they have to cut too many corners then I'll be extremely upset.

Because fewer but more talented people working harder need less resources.

liquidtmd

Banned
I've no doubt that the advances in tools over the last decade and a half improve the effectiveness of games development exponentially, but even with such advantages, I just don't see Suzuki being able to make a Shenmue-sized game on 6-10m with a drastically smaller team. After all, nobody else has been able to.

True but in terms of leaps of faith, Yu has earned a pass unlike no other for me.

No-ones still matched many of his AM2 Arcade 90s prime titles despite having greater budget and resources nowadays. I believe he can cook up something pretty damn good. It's just a question of keeping hype in check. Compared to games of today, 'Shenmue sized' isnt insurmountable

mattp

I'm struggling to understand how an open world game can be great without a large budget. Is there a precedence for this? If they have to cut too many corners then I'll be extremely upset.

if you played the first shenmue, you should understand. it's not an open world in the way we describe modern open world games

To this day, Shenmue 1 is still the most immersive, special and thoughtful "open world" games to be released. The same could be said about Shenmue 2 disk 4.

The funny thing is they consist of a few small - medium size areas. They may not be as big as GTA or Assassins creed, but they have far more life and soul put into them. They actually feel like real places, like you're actually living there. It the small details that count.

Open world games and Shenmue open world are completely different.

So when people say how can they make Shenmue 3 with 6.3 million. I say you clearly havent played Shenmue 2 to the very end. The game is clearly going to be focusing on small villages and countryside areas, rather than massive cities or big acres of land.

mattp

To this day, Shenmue 1 is still the most immersive, special and thoughtful "open world" games to be released. The same could be said about Shenmue 2 disk 4.

The funny thing is they consist of a few small - medium size areas. They may not be as big as GTA or Assassins creed, but they have far more life and soul put into them. They actually feel like real places, like you're actually living there. It the small details that count.

Open world games and Shenmue open world are completely different.

So when people say how can they make Shenmue 3 with 6.3 million. I say you clearly havent played Shenmue 2 to the very end. The game is clearly going to be focusing on small villages and countryside areas, rather than massive cities or big acres of land.

imagine shenmue 1 with even more detail put in? think of all the locked doors and inaccessible places in that game

imagine shenmue 1 with even more detail put in? think of all the locked doors and inaccessible places in that game

Its crazy to think Shenmue was released in 1999 and they managed to accomplish all of that.

Another thing to note about Shenmue which makes it so real / immersive are the NPCS. All of them have their own lives that they live independently to Ryo. They have their own schedules, personalitys, problems, jobs, etc. They're not just mindless NPCS that wonder the street for the players benefit.

I haven't played shenmue for 10 + years, but it still my greatest gaming memory ever. I still remember waking up for work and arriving at the harbor for 8:30am. I would work until lunch time and then speak/get to know my fellow co workers during the break. Sometimes i would visit the old tramp and buy him a coffee. After work, Id call home to make sure everything was ok and then hang with that elvis dude named goro for a bit. When it got late, id catch the bus home. Once back in Dobuita, id see Santa clause hopping along and christmas songs playing throughout the town. Id quickly drop by the arcade for some hang on and darts, and then go and speak to some of my friends who were still out and about. Eri would have a go at me because i wasn't paying attention to Nozomi's feelings and the jacket shop dude would tell me about his relationship problems with his girlfriend at the flower stool. When ever the mood was gloomy, Id speak to Tom as he was always super positive. Sometimes id stop by the bar for a quick game of pool and then head to the shop for some cat food. Before reaching home id feed the orphan cat and grab a quick drink. Once back home, id do a little training in the dojo and then see how ine san and fuku- san were doing (house keeper and student). Before heading to bed, id make a few phone calls. Mainly to Nozomi, the love interest xxxx. Sometimes she be super happy to hear from me and ask me to meet her. Other times she wasn't there. In which case, id phone my other mates and shoot the shit with them for a bit. Id then head to bed and begin another day.

What i just described must sound ridiculous to anyone who hasn't played Shenmue. But all of this is going on whilst the amazing story is also taking place. There's multiple threads of story telling, character development and freedom that ive never seen in any other game since. Its such a unique experience.

I must say however, Shenmue is not for everyone. If you want to roam the streets and fight npcs or attack everything in sight, it wont happen. Not unless its called for. E.g, you're walking down a dark alley a night in a dodgey area. Sometimes you might see some thugs who want to attack you. Sometimes not.

The pinnacle of Shenmue greatness imo is in Shenmue 2 disk 4. That has got to be one of the emotional, magical and beautiful arcs in gaming story telling. The interactions between ryo and shenhua were amazing.

Fuck, give me Shenmue HD SEGA.

eso76

Not sure i dig the hyper realistic lighting solution with anime looking characters but i'm not complaining either way.

Tuffty

Honestly I don't remember that much about S2 Disc 4, mainly because it's been so long. I do remember how nice Guilin looked as Ryo entered it, the caves etc.. I wish I can go back to play it now (wink wink SEGA)

Billy Lee

Shenmue 2 Disk 4 is the reason why I took a real-life trip to Guilin in 2010. It's amazing how closely the game captured the atmosphere and environment of the place.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
What dollar amount qualifies as a 'AAA Budget' in 2015? I thought this games budget was pretty damn decent no?

Edit: I see this was sort of answered at the top of the page.

ajim

Its crazy to think Shenmue was released in 1999 and they managed to accomplish all of that.

Another thing to note about Shenmue which makes it so real / immersive are the NPCS. All of them have their own lives that they live independently to Ryo. They have their own schedules, personalitys, problems, jobs, etc. They're not just mindless NPCS that wonder the street for the players benefit.

I haven't played shenmue for 10 + years, but it still my greatest gaming memory ever. I still remember waking up for work and arriving at the harbor for 8:30am. I would work until lunch time and then speak/get to know my fellow co workers during the break. Sometimes i would visit the old tramp and buy him a coffee. After work, Id call home to make sure everything was ok and then hang with that elvis dude named goro for a bit. When it got late, id catch the bus home. Once back in Dobuita, id see Santa clause hopping along and christmas songs playing throughout the town. Id quickly drop by the arcade for some hang on and darts, and then go and speak to some of my friends who were still out and about. Eri would have a go at me because i wasn't paying attention to Nozomi's feelings and the jacket shop dude would tell me about his relationship problems with his girlfriend at the flower stool. When ever the mood was gloomy, Id speak to Tom as he was always super positive. Sometimes id stop by the bar for a quick game of pool and then head to the shop for some cat food. Before reaching home id feed the orphan cat and grab a quick drink. Once back home, id do a little training in the dojo and then see how ine san and fuku- san were doing (house keeper and student). Before heading to bed, id make a few phone calls. Mainly to Nozomi, the love interest xxxx. Sometimes she be super happy to hear from me and ask me to meet her. Other times she wasn't there. In which case, id phone my other mates and shoot the shit with them for a bit. Id then head to bed and begin another day.

What i just described must sound ridiculous to anyone who hasn't played Shenmue. But all of this is going on whilst the amazing story is also taking place. There's multiple threads of story telling, character development and freedom that ive never seen in any other game since. Its such a unique experience.

I must say however, Shenmue is not for everyone. If you want to roam the streets and fight npcs or attack everything in sight, it wont happen. Not unless its called for. E.g, you're walking down a dark alley a night in a dodgey area. Sometimes you might see some thugs who want to attack you. Sometimes not.

The pinnacle of Shenmue greatness imo is in Shenmue 2 disk 4. That has got to be one of the emotional, magical and beautiful arcs in gaming story telling. The interactions between ryo and shenhua were amazing.

Fantastic post. Hit all my inner feels. Especially when you mentioned Shenmue 2 disk 4.

Shivers up my spine.

God I love Shenmue.

Wish granted.... partially :p

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLY5_ZWM9TWPcFernO_1R6a2lOM-NIxHfi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gi7J2YDHcWE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bikNcg1l1YM

Nice! I'd be all over it if I didn't just spend $450 on a Guts statue.

post-42319-baby-ice-cream-wtf-face-reacti-p1CZ.gif

That's a lot of money for a statue. It does look badass though. Whenever I played Dark Souls I tried to make Guts.

OT: I still am in shock that S3 is actually a thing. I remember playing S1 all night the first day I picked it up and only realizing I had done it when I heard my dad's alarm clock going off for work, which made me then stealth run up into bed until he left.

post-42319-baby-ice-cream-wtf-face-reacti-p1CZ.gif

That's a lot of money for a statue. It does look badass though. Whenever I played Dark Souls I tried to make Guts.

I know, I know! Mind you the $450 dollars is Australian dollars, and it includes the shipping cost from Japan.

It's very impressive. Super detailed and big. I never usually spend that much on a statue, but it's Guts! And hey, this is only mid range when it comes to Berserk statues. Some of them go for over a thousand!

Top Bottom