• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard settles dispute over Overwatch trademark

Overwatch-trademark-settlement-04.jpg

In a previous thread, Gaffer Rösti described some of the issues that Blizzard was having with registering the federal trademark for Overwatch. This was due to another company, Innovis Labs, already having registered and used the mark.

A game attorney colleague of mine, Stephen McArthur, uncovered a court document showing that Blizzard and Innovis have now settled their pending lawsuit. Additionally, it looks like Innovis has surrendered their trademark for Overwatch that was conflicting with Blizzard. Most likely, the earlier suspension of Blizzard's registration will be lifted and they'll get their trademark.

From the post:
The parties have now settled

According to a recent court filing, Blizzard and Innovis Labs settled the litigation and they are in the process of dismissing the lawsuit. On October 21, Innovis filed to surrender its registered Overwatch trademark. With that, the USPTO will likely lift its suspension of Blizzard’s application and move forward with registering its rights to the trademark. While we will probably never know the details of the confidential settlement, it is safe to assume that Blizzard paid Innovis a hefty sum for it to outright abandon its rights to Overwatch.

Things are certainly looking much better for Blizzard’s Overwatch, which just had a beta release on October 27.

I'll be watching this one closely!

Oh okay, that's why i'm still not invited to the beta ! ... Right ?

On a more serious note, i'd really like to know how much they paid, but i guess we'll never know.

weevles

I suspected that the name was already registered and was not surprised to see something like this. Overwatch seems like an obvious title for an FPS.

Top Bottom