• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 November Update Sneak Peek

jbug617

Banned
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/november-sneak-peek
In just over a week, the next Halo 5 content drop will be here, and with it comes Big Team Battle in Arena matchmaking, brand-new REQs, and a whole ton of juicy vehicular combat. Today, we’re giving you a sneak peek at what’s in store, and over the course of the next week, we’ll be providing you with more details.To start, we know many of you are ready for some vehicle-based carnage in Arena, and dying to jump into some classic 8v8 matches. You’re in luck.

During their time here, they also started working on large-scale Big Team Battle maps that were inspired by classic battlegrounds including: Sidewinder / Avalanche, Standoff, Burial Mounds, Longbow, and Headlong.

For the past few months, these maps have been playtested and polished in preparation for the release of Big Team Battle, and in just over a week, the first four maps will be available in Arena matchmaking. Here’s a quick look at what’s to come:
Deadlock
Inspired by: Standoff
A collaboration between Nokyard and the 343 Multiplayer team
UcMptnK.jpg

Basin
Inspired by: Valhalla
A map designed by the 343 Multiplayer team
XRll99d.jpg

Guillotine
Inspired by: Headlong
A collaboration between The Psycho Duck and the 343 Multiplayer team
prEkIiX.jpg

Recurve
Inspired by: Longbow
A collaboration between The Fated Fire and the 343 Multiplayer Team
NmNTzDF.jpg

Req Pack Teaser

Controllers and Aiming
Unfortunately, some players have identified an issue that occurs due to variance in controller hardware, commonly referred to as “slow turn” bug. This can cause players to become unable to, or inconsistently reach what we call a “pegged” state.

The “pegged” state is a region in the outermost range of the analog aim stick in which we blend the players turn speed to a much faster rate. This issue is compounded as the control input fluctuates depending on multiple factors - if you are applying even the slightest bit of downward pressure (clenching), moving the stick around the edges a bit (which is why it’s even more problematic when aiming diagonally), or torqueing the stick on the edge a bit more than normal on some controllers.

The good news is we have a fix for this issue that introduces no perceivable change to the current feel of the game. This change is going through test and pro team validation now and we will have it out to you soon.

One thing that has become clear in absorbing all your feedback is that Halo players want choice when it comes to controls. And with that in mind, we are also working on another little pet project that will allow even more precise tuning. This update will offer more custom fine-tuned control over controller settings (hint: independent vertical/horizontal sensitivities, the ability to calibrate your own dead zones, more granularity in sensitivity, and more). We hope to have that out for you in December and we will follow up with more details later.

Scheduled to come out on 11/16 and there will be more info to come.

Rev3rb

One thing that has become clear in absorbing all your feedback is that Halo players want choice when it comes to controls. And with that in mind, we are also working on another little pet project that will allow even more precise tuning. This update will offer more custom fine-tuned control over controller settings (hint: independent vertical/horizontal sensitivities, the ability to calibrate your own dead zones, more granularity in sensitivity, and more). We hope to have that out for you in December and we will follow up with more details later.

So good.

Ape

Banned
COD has taken the #1 spot on XBL most played list and I don't see it changing, even with this.

Strider

COD has taken the #1 spot on XBL most played list and I don't see it changing, even with this.

Who cares.

Game looks like it's gonna get great post launch support for those of us that enjoy it. That's all that matters

Most likely.. COD is pretty unstoppable.

Adding BTB 10 days after COD drops though could get some people to switch back if, for whatever reason, they're not stoked on BOIII.

TheTurboFD

I really dislike the map designs. Again they look like someone made these in forge over the weekend. Shit why can't they make any real memorable maps?

Gator86

Just sent this back to gamefly because of the fucked up aiming. If it gets a solid reception from the patch, I'll consider picking up a copy. The game is fucking stellar aside from that and the bullshit REQ whaling.

malfcn

Sustain is the new stability.
I look forward to staying busy with the game.

Thanks for stopping by with your shit post.

So will all BTB maps be these Forge-esque creations? If so, that's a real bummer.

It sure seems like it. I just hope the free DLC packs will be proper maps, not Forge stuff. Seriously 343, i rather then just pay a few dollars for proper maps if it's going to be Forge otherwise.

Warxard

Banned
Don't get the argument behind "it's just Forge maps." when Forge in H5 is miles ahead of what H3/4/Reach/2A were capable of.

Samaritan

I cannot believe this game's post-launch support is going to consist of Forge maps. Guillotine looks like a joke, like its textures hadn't loaded in yet. Amazing.

The only reason I'm playing CoD is because BTB isn't out. Already getting tired of the CoD nonsense and ready for some more halo

EBE

Don't get the argument behind "it's just Forge maps." when Forge in H5 is miles ahead of what H3/4/Reach/2A were capable of.

i hated the look of the other games' Forge maps. colors, lighting, everything. Halo 5 already looks a bit ugly so i dont know about these... they could play well though.

Juanfp

Some don't like it because it lose the artistical appearance, other are just concern trolling.
Personally I don't care that they are Forge, they look totally different than the past forge maps. As long they are fun to play.

HowZatOZ

Banned
I cannot believe this game's post-launch support is going to consist of Forge maps. Guillotine looks like a joke, like its textures hadn't loaded in yet. Amazing.

Is there some kind of requirement for maps to look a specific way or something? They look fine, get off your high horse.

I'm glad that we're getting these as they look fun, but I really hope there will be many more dev tool made BTB maps than Forge ones. Because if there aren't the whole "Free maps subsidized by MTs" thing goes out the window.
Also is it just me or do the colors remind anyone else of that Nerf branded Unreal Tournament reskin Nerf Arena Blast?

They need to keep the content coming and fast. This game needs to stay in people's minds through the end of the year or it won't make it. It'll be like titanfall.

Courage

This update is forge maps. This one. It's releasing with forge. It's a forge based content release.

Nah, Forge comes in December.

I'm also hoping they dedicate resources for non-Forge maps. There's a noticeable difference in quality due to the limitations with using Forge.

ryan299

343 is in trouble if most of the dlc maps are going to be forge variants. Much rather they just release forge already and pick good community maps for matchmaking like they've done. Having said that, they don't look that bad, so lets see how they play.

The new req content is really cool though.

Trup1aya

You know, I'm all for Forge. And I'm quite sure these cartographers did a great job.

But the lack of 343i produced content is really starting to piss me off.

Why can't we play on maps with art created by artists? With high quality textures and custom assets? Nothing against the forgers (it looks like they did a fantastic job) But why can't I expect my matchmaking experience to be filled with maps that look and feel like the rest of the game?

Where's are all of the social game modes? Where are the real maps? What kind of half-assed shit is this?

I love the game, but I definatetly feel like I'm being taken for granted at this point. After Halo4 and MCC, you'd think they'd be throwing in the kitchen sink... But no, they've gotta get the community to do their job for them?

Who's idea was this? How well did they think it would be received? I just can't imagine someone in a meeting saying "hey, let's launch without BTB, and when we do launch it, let's not have any in-house playspaces for it."

Is THIS what the Req money pays for? Can't be!

/rant

Samaritan

Is there some kind of requirement for maps to look a specific way or something? They look fine, get off your high horse.

I'm not on a high horse, I just think there's an expectation for maps from a high-profile release on a modern console to not look like this:

dn2HGwf.jpg

More, free content is great, especially this close to launch, but that still doesn't take away from the fact that that looks rough.

Maps look alright, like some here I hope not all upcoming maps are made in forge. But that being said, I'm excited for some BTB cause warzone is infuriating lol

Fat4all

Banned
I'm not on a high horse, I just think there's an expectation for maps from a high-profile release on a modern console to not look like this:

dn2HGwf.jpg

More, free content is great, especially this close to launch, but that's still rough looking.

I'm wondering if it's just a render issue for the pictures or sommit, because these are pretty rough.

Top Bottom