• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blood Alloy: Reborn - 2D indie Vanquish, coming to PC, PS4, Xbox One, WiiU

http://www.bloodalloy.com/
https://youtu.be/hKuzTgA0axk

Render the robot swarms unto wreckage and shrapnel in the hyper-acrobatic tactical shooter/slasher Blood Alloy: Reborn! As the cyborg soldier Nia Rhys, you will hit subsonic speeds thanks to the BLade Assisted Surface Traversal (BLAST) system.

Blast along the floor, up walls, and across ceilings at breakneck speeds to gain positional advantage on your foes. Blast and slice your foes to bits from every angle!
Become a hyper-agile cybernetic machine of robot death. Survive as long as you can and boost, slice, and shoot your way to the top of the score rankings!

WmFXTxv.gif
xzx0Qcf.gif

HPECjrm.gif
dkREUfd.gif

Head.spawn

Funny, I've been following Frank Washburn and this game on twitter... never looked for a release date, lol.

Grabbing soon.

Funny, I've been following Frank Walsh and this game on twitter... never looked for a release date, lol.

Grabbing soon.
I'm so happy to learn it was still in development

I had started a thread for it way back in 2013 when Frank launched a Kickstarter but unfortunately that campaign was unsuccessful

So it's great to see it's progressing so nicely

It's got promise. But hopefully that's one of the earlier levels; there weren't a lot of enemies and it seemed super-easy to dance all over them for no challenge. The actual artwork looks pretty good so far, though.

That said, I think the camera zooms in and out a bit too much, and the fact it does so on a rather large scale can maybe lead to some disorientation and platforming woes on trickier levels. Just a thought.

RPGam3r

I really liked Vanquish, but copying mechanics from that good game into a 2D space just looks not fun, and visually insulting with all that jerky camera movement.

Closer to Mega Man X but whatever I hate it when indie games are described with other "big" names like Dark Souls etc. instead of standing on its own.

DarkSiegmeyer

Neo Member
Hey guys, dev here!
Thanks for the interest and the feedback!

1) Yes, Abuse. Frickin' LOVED Abuse as a kid. No denying that. (I'm aware of Bangai-o, though I've never actually played it. I do love homing missiles though.)

2) Camera shake, yeah, I've been staring at this thing for years now, and I'm def used to the camera behavior. We currently have camera settings for you to dial it up or down according to your preferences. I'm a huge Vlambeer fan, so I like more shake, but with fast movement, I get that not everyone's a fan, and that some get motion sickness.

3) These are all test gifs - basically, at 3am, me being like "Unngghghhg I should get a gameplay gif, FINE, I'll do that now" and it's easy to get something clear and awesome at the beginning of a level - hence the relatively few number of enemies. Trust me, I know that for a skill-based game like this to mean anything, there has to be a few moments when you're like "no no no NO NO NO"... the levels are pretty sizeable, and yeah it can get pretty crazily hectic.

Seriously, please keep the feedback coming!

In the meantime, have some more gameplay gifs:

BkKMirv.gif

CObCsaY.gif

This one is technically a short video, but this is our boss and how you'll fight it

(And yes, we will have more environments than just this one!)

(Side note, obviously yes I am a huge fan of Vanquish and Metal Gear Rising as well... can someone just get Platinum games make Zone of the Enders 3? Pleeaase?)

DarkSiegmeyer

Neo Member
Closer to Mega Man X but whatever I hate it when indie games are described with other "big" names like Dark Souls etc. instead of standing on its own.

Yeah, we learned this the hard way back in 2013 when we ran our KS. The design of the game was also very, very different back then... Back then, we were fueling the "energy" meter to be tied to sliding, shooting, and dodging (like Dark Souls' stamina mechanic.)

Unfortunately, it stank. Showed it to enough people, and then we took the hint, and scrapped it.

Also, it sounds like EVERY game wants to name-drop Dark Souls, which even around then (in 2013) I was starting to get annoyed by as well. I recall an article about Payday 2 being like Dark Souls, and I was like "wat." Live and learn.

I personally try not to name-drop any other games unless I'm literally talking to someone face-to-face, and even then, it's kind of a bad habit. Gotta get good at pitching a game on its own merits.

Corpekata

Banned
Will never get the constant whining about game comparisons. Like half the time they are not even part of the game's press or claims but fans that want an easy shorthand to show off an interesting looking game.

I mean, I like Vanquish, but no game on the planet is needing to "stand on its own" apart from a game that was niche as fuck in the first place.

Whoa, this looks cool. I remember seeing early footage for it a long time ago, but then I wasn't able to track it down again. I hope all the actions aren't tied to a stamina bar, right? I'm not a fan of that mechanic.

DarkSiegmeyer

Neo Member
Whoa, this looks cool. I remember seeing early footage for it a long time ago, but then I wasn't able to track it down again. I hope all the actions aren't tied to a stamina bar, right? I'm not a fan of that mechanic.

While that used to be part of our design, we've gotten away from that years ago. Now, the only thing the energy bar is used for now is the boosting, and using a power attack, which instantly depletes it:

7e7KyuU.gif

Yay boosting platforming!
HpsBrLH.gif

Actually I have a question on the level design; from the vids I've watched it seems more arena-esque, hi-score focused etc? Are all the levels like that, taking place in what's essentially a "platforming map" that acts more like a map in a FPS than the more expected kind of platforming levels in games like Mario or Sonic? If so what's the criteria for completing a level? Is it to destroy all enemies, or get a score quota? Are there things to collect in order to complete a level (I saw the character collect some stuff after killing a set number of enemies, for example)?

You'll have to forgive me, for I've not played Vanquish :/

I just like asking these sort of questions with pretty much any game I look into, old or new, especially now that I'm getting into game design myself. It's interesting to get a sense of what other designers are thinking in terms of structuring their games.

DarkSiegmeyer

Neo Member
Actually I have a question on the level design; from the vids I've watched it seems more arena-esque, hi-score focused etc? Are all the levels like that, taking place in what's essentially a "platforming map" that acts more like a map in a FPS than the more expected kind of platforming levels in games like Mario or Sonic? If so what's the criteria for completing a level? Is it to destroy all enemies, or get a score quota? Are there things to collect in order to complete a level (I saw the character collect some stuff after killing a set number of enemies, for example)?

You'll have to forgive me, for I've not played Vanquish :/

I just like asking these sort of questions with pretty much any game I look into, old or new, especially now that I'm getting into game design myself. It's interesting to get a sense of what other designers are thinking in terms of structuring their games.

Right now it's a score-chaser, like Geometry Wars or Luftrausers. Kill enemies, survive, try to get to the boss, unlock new upgrades/weapons as you accumulate experience.

As for the music... stay tuned. I think you guys will be pretty stoked about some of the musicians we've signed on!

DarkSiegmeyer

Neo Member
I think the problem with the camera is not the shake, but the lack of smoothness when moving and zooming. I suppose it's meant to be fast and responsive, but I really think it would work better with some smoothing.

See this text about cameras: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iNSQIyNpVGHeak6isbP6AHdHD50gs8MNXF1GCf08efg/pub

Looks pretty cool regardless :)

Yeah that camera-write up is god tier. Definitely learn more and more each time I go through that. We'll be continuing to work on it :)

Top Bottom