• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RttP: Rocket Power (Nickelodeon)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
LMev1CM.gif

Wikipedia said:
Rocket Power is an American animated television series. The series debuted on Nickelodeon on August 16, 1999. The series ended on July 30, 2004 after four seasons.[1] The show mainly revolves around four friends and their daily lives of playing extreme sports, surfing, and getting into situations.

I found, and find, this show so endearing for some reason, despite never really liking or being good at sports. I used to get excited whenever it came on and it was easily one of my favorite Nickelodeon shows back in the day. It wasn't as "deep" (and I use that term relatively, as they were all kids cartoons) as some of the other shows like Hey Arnold, which usually told more focused stories and often had a moral or lesson, and instead went for a more feel-good approach in the stories it told, which was a nice fit for a show about extreme sports. I also grew up in Puritan New England, so the whole California culture aspect seemed especially exotic at the time. Sam was doubtlessly my favorite character, as he was the one who got roped into sports despite being bad at them, was only really good at being a goalie, was shy, an outcast, and loved computers. Instantly relatable! As an adult, however, I find myself thinking that Raymundo, with his washed up dad persona, is the most enjoyable member of the cast.

One character I thought got the short end of the stick was Twister, who gets unfairly shat on for being less intelligent than most people. His older brother was a complete jerk and, watching it as an adult, it seems like he takes insults to heart and is written as one of the more genuine characters on the show. Poor guy.

Anyone like this show? It always gets overlooked by the more popular shows at the time, like The Wild Thornberries or Spongebob. It was great fun, and had a pretty unique premise for a cartoon.

Edit: Apparently the cast got older at some point? Don't remember that at all, but the wiki has this image.

Rocket_Power_Teens.jpg

Squalor

I still occasionally catch reruns late at night on TeenNick if I have nothing better to do while awake.

"Edgy" gets thrown around alot but this show definitely deserves it. The lame made-up slang, the obnoxious transition effects, and the very worst of Klasky Csupo character designs.

vocab

Got really bad when they went overboard with the lingo trash. I watched almost all of it except the last couple seasons. It just got unbearable. Its okay, but i dont feel it was the same gold standard as other nick shows.

Dishwalla

Banned
Shows like this and Catdog and The Wild Thornberries are why I migrated to Cartoon Network around that time frame, because they were awful and hideous.

Also of course because CN had some kick ass programming then.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140401222356/legomessageboards/images/e/ed/That's_the_spirit!

LMAO.

Also the Super McTwist 720 or whatever is about the only thing I can remember from them rerunning this repeatedly in 2000.

Cloyster

Banned
I loved this show, especially the later seasons when they started making fun of themselves, like the episode where a bunch of tourists come to the beach and adopt all their slang, so they have to make progressively more and more ridiculous slang for themselves.

I don't remember too much about the show but at the time I remember I loved the Tony Hawk games so I liked the show as a result.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Never liked it as much as the other Klasky-Cupo shows, but I never understood the complete hatred for it.

Also, Squid totally beefed it.

This was the show for all the Tony Hawk-playing wannabe skaters back in the day. Man, I have fond memories of Rocket Power. Surprised to see some of the vitriolic reactions to it in here.

Tito was Uncle Iroh before Uncle Iroh.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
For a show that took pride in itself for being "EXTREME" it sure was pretty damn boring.

I was in the show's key demo in almost every way back when it was on the air. Just about the right age, way into extreme sports thanks to Tony Hawk, and I was still young enough to fuck with Nickelodeon.

So believe me when I tell you that Rocket Power is a fucking dumpster fire.

GamerJM

Banned
There was a period of time where this was like, my favorite show as a kid for some reason, but from what I've seen of it since it was probably actually terrible.

zeemumu

Is the fish taco SHAPED like a FISH?

This show almost convinced me that Vegemite was delicious. Almost.

Shows like this and Catdog and The Wild Thornberries are why I migrated to Cartoon Network around that time frame, because they were awful and hideous.

Also of course because CN had some kick ass programming then.

Part of me wishes that FusionFall had been better so their summer lineup could live on forever.

zeemumu

I saw an episode recently and I think it ended with Twister calling a handicapped girl retarded

Twister: Squid, don't worry. You're not the lamest snowboarder on this mountain anymore.
Reggie: Twister, harsh!
Otto: That's not cool, man!
Sam: I can't believe you said that, dude!

I think he meant lame as in uncool, but yeah, even though Otto had the biggest ego, Twister was easily the biggest douche. Although that was at the beginning of the episode.

Bgamer90

Banned
I think he meant lame as in uncool, but yeah, even though Otto had the biggest ego, Twister was easily the biggest douche.

Oh wow. Don't remember this moment.

Anyway, I never liked this cartoon. Saw it as nothing but a cash in on the Tony Hawk/X Games craze at the time.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Anyway, I never liked this cartoon. Saw it as nothing but a cash in on the Tony Hawk/X Games craze at the time.

That's because it totally was a cash-in on the X-games craze.

Ivan 3414

I definitely enjoyed this show during it's run. I don't understand the hate for it when far worse shows like Catdog get ignored.

Bgamer90

Banned
That's because it totally was a cash-in on the X-games craze.

Agreed. Just meant that other people around my age during the time it was new (pre-teens/early teens) saw it as something more.

I definitely enjoyed this show during it's run. I don't understand the hate for it when far worse shows like Catdog get ignored.

I hated CatDog too. Okay concept but the style and music of the show annoyed me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom