• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony responds to claim PS4 used for terrorist communications

mocoworm

Sony responds to claim PS4 used for terrorist communications - As UK media suggest PS4 was used to plot Paris attacks.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...o-claim-ps4-used-for-terrorist-communications

Sony has responded to comments from Belgium's deputy prime minister and minister of Security and Home Affairs, who claimed communication over PlayStation 4 is more difficult to monitor than WhatsApp.

As part of a debate organised by Politico, held three days before Friday's terrorist attacks in Paris, Jan Jambon said international security services struggle to decrypt communication via PlayStation 4.

"The thing that keeps me awake at night is the guy behind his computer, looking for messages from IS and other hate preachers," he said, as reported by The Bulletin.

"PlayStation 4 is even more difficult to keep track of than WhatsApp."

Politico, which hosted the debate, published a video which reveals further comments from Jambon on PS4 in an article headlined, "Why terrorists love PS4".

"The most difficult communication between these terrorists is via PlayStation 4," he said.

"It's very, very difficult for our services - not only Belgian services but international services - to decrypt the communication that is done via PlayStation 4."

Jambon mentioned PS4 as part of a discussion about Belgian counterrorism and the difficulty it faced countering the skilled online recruitment of ISIL.

Responding to Jambon's comments, Sony admitted the PS4 could be "abused", but stressed the communication features of the console were in common with all modern connected devices.

A Sony spokesperson issued Eurogamer the following statement:

"PlayStation 4 allows for communication amongst friends and fellow gamers and, in common with all modern connected devices, this has the potential to be abused. However, we take our responsibilities to protect our users extremely seriously and we urge our users and partners to report activities that may be offensive, suspicious or illegal. When we identify or are notified of such conduct, we are committed to taking appropriate actions in conjunction with the appropriate authorities and will continue to do so."

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
"PlayStation 4 allows for communication amongst friends and fellow gamers and, in common with all modern connected devices, this has the potential to be abused. However, we take our responsibilities to protect our users extremely seriously and we urge our users and partners to report activities that may be offensive, suspicious or illegal. When we identify or are notified of such conduct, we are committed to taking appropriate actions in conjunction with the appropriate authorities and will continue to do so."

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Wonder if we'll start having more authorities spying on PSN and XBL.

maltrain

"It's very, very difficult for our services - not only Belgian services but international services - to decrypt the communication that is done via PlayStation 4."

Great news for PS4 owners if this is true.

Boke1879

That's pretty much all Sony can really say at this point. Unless you are going to have people monitor everyone's private party chats, or public chats for that matter and go through EVERYONE's Friends list and see what messages they've sent.

Why should they even need a response? Is written mail monitored too? What if they used that? Would that be coming under scrutiny too? This seems like yet another digital scapegoat or excuse to justify increased invasion of privacy/monitoring

No different than any other service. People will find ways to abuse it or find good use of it. They could of easily send carrier pigeons and smoke signals for all know hehe.

GavinGT

Banned
What about smoke signals? They are totally unregulated and I heard that at least one of the terrorists knew how to start a fire.

tim.mbp

I'm curious how PlayStation 4 communication works. Are logs saved? Can authorities get warrants to monitor suspects?

I'll bet hackers figured out how to decrypt communications on the PS4 long ago. It wouldn't shock me if they were ahead of the governments on that one.

ps3ud0

I'm curious how PlayStation 4 communication works. Are logs saved? Can authorities get warrants to monitor suspects?
I presume they can get warrants to monitor specific PS4 user communications - the problem for the authorities is normally theyd rather not have to do all that and just get an excuse to monitor everything

ps3ud0 8)

Oppo

alright! stop quoting him, he's already deeeaaddddd

on topic

this seems like such an odd service to target - the PSN – I thought iMessage was all the actual rage amongst spy orgs these days, as it is still quite secure all on it's own? and a zillion times more popular?

I am tempted to mock up some secret terrorist plans on a screen cap of Scrabble for iPad™ but I don't want to end up on a list or in some deluded fool's facebook post

The_Lump

Banned
Maybe stop quoting the moronic "joke" over and over again.

OT: This a predicament. I'm sure Sony will have to open up to Government surveillance like everything else.

Archpath1

Coincidence? Off topic had thread about Anonymous declaring war on isis
Maybe they ll start with this
Incoming psn shutdown. :(

Bit unfortunate how things can be used for wrong
Hope something can be done

Lionheart

Isn't almost everything more difficult to spy on than whatsapp?
Nope. One on one communication (on many platforms) is end to end encrypted on Whatsapp nowadays, so that should be safe. They're planning to do the same for group conversations, but apparently that's a bit more challenging.

Jebusman

Banned
I find it ironic that this article is basically implying that Sony's network security is too good.

It's not so much the network security, rather the obscurity of the method of delivering the message.

If I do a series of random events in a game that communicate to another informed party a message, there are exactly zero mechanisms in place to capture that kind of communication. And why would there be, it's a video game.

Shai-Tan

Banned
this is all opportunistic click bait. afaik all Sony chat is recorded and monitored so they can ban people for abuse. there's nothing special about it and there is no proof that isis attackers used it for planning. it's inferior to simply using an encrypted messaging platorm which could even be connected to via a vpn.

meanwhile the fetishism for technology misses that there are thousands of potential terrorists, some security services are aware of, some not. there is no good way to catch potential terrorist attacks except for complete incompetents. the reason why they are so rare is there are very few people willing to go through with such acts, not because of hyped up abilities of surveillance

Exactly. They could be communicating via Snap Chat as well.

Snapchat is notoriously unsecure. It's not true message disappearance, it's just a game that the messages appear to disappear, but they're still stored.

But yeah, any device and service could be used at all. The PS4 seems like it really wouldn't be that good for it either, when any terrorist could construct a really secure Raspberry Pi computer for $50, as opposed to a fairly unsecure console for $400.

THe one thing that a game console or game communication might make "easier" is that if you're using a neural network to identify common phrases that might stick out between people communicating, it could be really difficult to separate innocuous ingame conversations (e.g., "Blow up building A!" or "Let's kill that guy!") from terroristic conversations.

This is nothing.
There are tons of ways for bad people to communicate and plan to do bad things.

Sony's response is what you would expect from any company. It's the same common sense advice we should all be following anyway.
If you see something that seems suspicious then report it.
That applies whether it's an unattended bag on a train or a person sending messages about supporting IS or a big clock with wires sticking out of it, ffs. If it's suspicious, report it.

They should just allow authorities to be able to see communications on PS4...
I know some people want their privacy, but come on... As long as you're not a terrorist I doubt someone will read your messages, since it's a machine who parses and analyses data.

Dragon

Banned
I know some people want their privacy, but come on... As long as you're not a terrorist I doubt someone will read your messages, since it's a machine who parses and analyses data.

Yeah why don't we let these organizations that have little to no oversight look at all of our communications...

hohoXD123

If PS4s weren't already being widely used for terrorist operations, I'm sure they're considering it now. I'm sure governments will start putting more pressure on Sony/MS now.

johnny956

There are a dozen end to end encryption messaging apps out there based in countries where European countries have no legal backing. It's amazing to me that they single out the PS4 because one of the attackers had one.

Boke1879

You think snap-chat isnt saving all those videos onto their servers? I mean come on, highly doubt that.

Of course they are. But Sony is also saving those messages from PSN as well. All communications apps do this.

I just think it's funny Intelligence agencies attack these sorts of things simply because they want more intrusion.

Is Politico the site that said some stuff in the definitive on Ben Carson lying and they turned outbl to be pretty wrong? Or am I thinking of another site.

Is this just a way to guilt companies into government monitoring? Or is it to just generate traffic? I mean why not XBL or the Nintendo Network and all its stamps? Why not B.Net or Steam? Maybe music lists on iTunes or the like? Shared Netflix queues?

So that was sort of how the Patriot Act passed. However, the politicians at the time realized they were doing this all in the moment with high emotions and tension running wild and added in a clause that it needed to be reupped as it is an invasion of privacy. Sadly, the current administration made it a law with no means of ending aside from a new law repealing it and also adding more to the act. I mean right now its under the guise of fighting terrorism but who knows where it can go, perhaps attacking political parties (think like Watergate but on a massive scale) or whatever else.

Yeah why don't we let these organizations that have little to no oversight look at all of our communications...

If "these organizations" can use that to prevent attacks or other crimes, why not ?
Your privacy is more important than someone life ?

Top Bottom