• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Heroes (US) only sells 31k in first month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

Thought this deserved its own thread since the discussion is currently contained in the huge NPD thread and may be missed.

Thanks to the creamsugar, who got the numbers:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=185621882&postcount=5636

I really hope this doesn't affect DQ11 getting localized--I seriously doubt it would, but just a reminder for non-Japanese speaking fans of the franchise to please support the 3DS games coming out next year.

In all seriousness, I'm not too surprised since SE basically had no DQ presence in the West for 5 years.

That's not how you build a franchise. They should look at what Namco-Bandai did with the Tales series--take a more conservative sales estimate approach and slowly grow the fanbase.

Also DQIX, the last mainline game to be released in the US,, did sell 1 million copies, but Nintendo helped market that one.

You don't make a big budget PS4 exclusive just for japan. SE is going to bring it over, don't worry.
This is what happens when you don't build an audience on a given platform or market, though.
There hasn't been DQ anything in years in the west, more so on Playstation

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I...I don't think it's wise to open threads on leaked numbers from GAF insiders. There's a reason why these kind of numbers are not in NPD Threads' OP, or if threads specifically about them aren't opened.

jonno394

How does it compare to Hyrule Warriors or other Musou titles?

I played my copy for a few days, but got distracted by other things, will head back eventually, probably in the new year.

Verendus said all the PS DQ games are coming to the west. Nothing to worry about I guess?

Also, Dragon Quest Heroes is getting a Steam port and I'm confident that it will sell well.

Toki767

At the end of the day, this was a Musou game of a franchise that's been missing in the US since like 2009?

This shouldn't have any bearing of what an actual mainline RPG would do.

wmlk

I...I don't think it's wise to open threads on leaked numbers from GAF insiders. There's a reason why these kind of numbers are not in NPD Threads' OP, or if threads specifically about them aren't opened.

Yep. There's a reason why the information is obscured.

Reverend Funk

Comfy Penetration
I didnt know it came out. If I thought hyrule warriors was alright, and don't know anything about dragon quest, would I like this game?

Verendus said all the PS DQ games are coming to the west. Nothing to worry about I guess?

Also, Dragon Quest Heroes is getting a Steam port and I'm confident that it will sell well.

He also told me I was insane in thinking that a PS4-only DQXI would have been far-fetched - eventually DQXI will be PS4/3DS and DQ Heroes numbers do not look promising for the future of the franchise on PS4 in the West.

I really hope this doesn't affect DQ11 getting localized--I seriously doubt it would, but just a reminder for non-Japanese speaking fans of the franchise to please support the 3DS games coming out next year.

Hopefully the VII and VIII 3DS localizations serve as better signals for SE. Speaking of which, do we know if it's them or Nintendo that's footing the bill on those?

That's a shame it didn't do so well. I was waiting till Christmas when I got myself a PS4 to pick it up. :|

BiggNife

Localizing a Musou spinoff of a series that hasn't had a major release in the US in four years always seemed like a weird move to me. I'm not super surprised it didn't sell too well.

Given the Disgaea and ToZ numbers there as well, that doesn't too terrible, especially considering the last time a DQ game of any sort was on a PS system was 14 years ago, and this is an action RPG/musou spin-off.

Zekes!

I came in to this thread to say "it hasn't been that long since the last DQ game in the West"

but yes, yes it has

Freeman

Banned
They should release this games in a much shorter window compared to Japan or at the very least in slow months where it will have some visibility.

fates

I'm still worried about the impact on DQ7 and 8.

For what's it worth, DQ6 was practically cancelled after being announced due to the poor performance of the DS remakes. Nintendo's work with IX saved it...

My other concern is they'll do a limited print run like what happened to DQ5 DS at launch. Went out of stock within a week. I'm especially worried about that if Nintendo is publishing.

It's hard to judge these numbers, given that:

- Franchise that isn't strong in the west
- Genre that the franchise isn't associated with

But even then, the numbers don't look too bad. They aren't impressive obviously, but something like Hyrule Warriors sold 190k with the Zelda name. Other Musou titles don't sell that much.

31k seems pretty reasonable given the circumstances.

I did my part. I'm stuck now though. Whose idea was it to put two bosses back to back without a checkpoint?

Are you at the
dragon
and
possessed friend
part? Start blocking more often. You block before your character raises his shield and you won't take damage.

If you dodge and block enough at the first phase, you should be able to use the pots that contain health and shit in the second and breeze on by.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
DQ spinoff game + Musou title + under marketed = failure.

Luckily Japan picked up the slack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom