• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There will be no daily & flash deals in the upcoming Steam Autumn sale (25/11)

Originally posted by bobnowhere from the Steam thread. Not sure if it'll be the same in the Winter sale as well.
Full statement for those interested

Originally Posted by Galdere on Steam

The Autumn "Black Friday\Exploration" sale is from November 25th 10AM PST til December 1st 10AM PST.

The Holiday sale is from December 22nd 10AM PST til Jan 4th 10AM PST.

From the steamworks developer group....

"In past sale events, we’ve asked for two discounts—a duration discount that runs for the length of the sale, and a feature discount that runs in the event that a game is featured on the front page. This year, to optimize the sale for customers and to allow us to feature and recommend your products in more ways to more customers, we’re asking for just one discount, to run the length of the sale.

We’ll still be highlighting top games on the front page for 24-48 hour spans, but those products will stay at their most competitive discount, before and after being featured. It’s not a major change, but it does make the sale a lot more valuable for customers, and it allows us to build sale tools that highlight and recommend products all sale long, instead of just during front page features."
No more "Wait for the dailies, you dummies!" :(

Jawmuncher

Expect most titles to not hit their lowest recorded sale price. We're probably going to see a lot of titles that hit 75% during a flash or daily go no lower than 50-66% for example. All i see this change doing is helping out the publishers and valve, get more out of the consumers who don't know any better. Who will think a front page title is still being sold at a deeper discount.

giphy.gif

RIP Steam Sales.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I just hope the regular sale discounts will be as good as the daily discounts.

Can't imagine they will be. Maybe for some older or less popular games that need the deep cuts to garner interest. Publishers and most indie devs are probably less enthused about heavily discounting their titles for two weeks rather than 1-2 days, with the rest being a more minor discount. Sure, a big portion of the sales come during that time, but realistically not everyone is checking daily and a lot of people are going to miss deals that are time limited.

KarmaCow

I don't really enjoy the cycling sales where you can potentially miss out on a deeper discount and waiting till the last day to pick up stuff so I would be fine with it except for

Expect most titles to not hit their lowest recorded sale price. We're probably going to see a lot of titles that hit 75% during a flash or daily go no lower than 50-66% for example. All i see this change doing is helping out the publishers and valve, get more out of the consumers who don't know any better. Who will think a front page title is still being sold at a deeper discount.

this basically. I hope doesn't mean the sales wont be as good.

Coreda

Well, I just hope the regular sale discounts will be as good as the daily discounts.

On the one hand this is the most important question, on the other we've just lost part of a SteamGAF culture and fun if this is the new sale structure.

On the one hand, this is less psychologically manipulative. On the other hand, this might mean less steeper discounts.....which might not be a completely bad thing. Less people buying games but actually playing the games they buy would be cool.

Yeah, no daily or flash deals would be an easier way to just calmly buy whatever it is you want, but I hope that we'll see prices of things that get around that daily/flash deeper discount.

border

I wonder why?

Presumably they wanted people coming back to the Steam Store every day to check for new sales and to be exposed to different advertising.

I guess they have numbers that show the Flash Sales were actually to their detriment. I suspect people would wait for the entire length of the sale, then if they missed the Flash Sale they wanted (or accidentally missed the last day of the Steam Sale), they would never buy their intended game.

AaronB

Maybe people were complaining about needing to check constantly, frustrated when they buy something and then it becomes cheaper, and therefore reluctant to actually buy anything.

It works for me, although I certainly hope the discounts are more like flash levels rather than just not having anything at those levels.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
its probably so as not to overlap too much with the winter sales, ive always found them too closely aligned, especially in sale prices.

Steam's deals maxed out a while ago. Far as I can tell, -75% is the max, and games don't often drop below that, in bundle or otherwise. So a years-old AAA title will be between $5-$10 depending on when in Steam's history it released.

It's a bit of a bummer. But in this era of bundles and competing stores, not that big of a deal.

Jawmuncher

As was said in the SteamGAF thread, this might be related to the Refund Policy.
Since they don't want a ton of people buying a title during the sale and then refunding when they see it for cheaper as a daily or flash.

Gren

The statement mentions both sales, and doesn't single out the Autumn one. I'm bracing myself for no dailies from both of them.

Makes the sales less fun/interesting, but at least now I can skim through my wishlist on day one & forget it/only check back periodically.

Ozium

As was said in the SteamGAF thread, this might be related to the Refund Policy.
Since they don't want a ton of people buying a title during the sale and then refunding when they see it for cheaper as a daily or flash.

are the people who didn't care about waiting for the dailies in the first place going to give a shit about it though?

I mean.. every sales thread here you see people saying "oh that game I bought is a daily now but it's OK cuz I still got it for cheap!" and other things

I really don't see a majority of people doing this honestly, but maybe Valve has actual data.

Jawmuncher

Maybe coupons will become relevant again for the event? (My sarcasm is at maximum.)

Well those Alienware Coupons a few of us got will at least be worth half a damn.

are the people who didn't care about waiting for the dailies in the first place going to give a shit about it though?

I mean.. every sales thread here you see people saying "oh that game I bought is a daily now but it's OK cuz I still got it for cheap!" and other things

I really don't see a majority of people doing this honestly, but maybe Valve has actual data.

Yeah while I don't see it as being a big deal, maybe some actual data they have proves otherwise.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
The dailies and the flash sales kept me coming back to the store front multiple times a day and lead me to quite a few impulse buys, so it seems like a bit of a strange decision to me.

As long as the discounts are good, I'm not going to miss daily and flash deals, this just streamlines the event without me having to check back every 8 or whatever hours. I can appreciate just buying what I want at my pace without worry of a flash price popping up later and kicking myself in regret.

You know what can go to hell? Seeing a game you want as a vote option for a future flash sale and no one votes for it. I remember this happening to Ikaruga the first Steam Sale it appeared on, and it was the only time during that sale that it was an option to vote for, so of course it didn't get a flash deal.

Fonz72

Steam sales have been lackluster the past year or so. It's not the "you bought everything you wanted in the past, so no excitement now" theory. Games are just not as cheap now.

DSix

Banned
This is further removal of any remaining forms of curation. Now Valve really does nothing and let even the sales main page be machine generated.

I predict further profits diminutions, continuing from last year's store front's gutting.

Prototype

The feeling I'm left with is that the sales won't be as good anymore.

Not that they've been very good lately anyway. So I guess this really doesn't change a thing.

Edit
Kinda sad because part of the fun was checking in for the new sales
This too.
Even tho I rarely bought anything, it was fun to see the different sales throughout the event.

Berordn

Kinda sad because part of the fun was checking in for the new sales

I imagine it was a big factor in getting people to spend a lot too. If the sales are static there's less incentive to come back every day and buy more. If it's all there upfront, it's harder for me to justify a 200 dollar cart even if that's what I spent over the course of the event.

We'll see, I guess.

Nimajneb

Good. I was really getting sick of checking in daily to see if the games I wanted would drop lower in price. Having all games at the lowest price for the whole sale and featuring different game on the front page each day is much more convenient for consumers, if slightly less exciting.

Top Bottom