• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega opens "Valkyria Project" Portal - Investing fully in Valkyria franchise?

Nyoro SF

So, Segalization (great website by the way) brought to my attention that Sega has created a Portal Site for the entire Valkyria series.

There’s no two ways about it; Sega of Japan is really betting on Valkyria’s growth as a franchise.

Sega of Japan has created a Twitter account for the Valkyria franchise. Give them a follow! If the Twitter accounts for other franchises like Yakuza and Sakura Wars are any indication, the Sega staffers for each franchise are quite dedicated and take note of all sorts of minutiae related to the franchise (the Yakuza and Sakura Wars accounts occasionally posted information on their characters being present in Project X Zone 2, for example.)

The Valkyria franchise seems to be addressed on this page as the “Valkyria Project”, so as to encompass the Chronicles games (Valkyria Chronicles 1-3) and Azure Revolution. We can probably expect to see it addressed as such in the future.

qwv1yx6.png

This is a marked shift that the series hasn't seen in a very long time. It looks like Sega is fully throwing their weight behind this series and its brand. It's quite an exciting time if you're a Sega fan.

Calling the site and twitter "Valkyria Project" does seem to cement that Sega is determined to make the brand one of their leading ones. The portal itself has been worked to reference all the games (even Duel) and the anime in one place as they prepare for the launches of Valkyria Azure and VC1 PS4 Remaster.

Do you think Sega will be successful? Maybe only in Japan, and never in America? Or do you think times have changed since they released the first game and that awareness will be high enough to drive the franchise worldwide?

Squire

Banned
We're getting a remaster and a spin-off and that's great. I'm not going to get carried away because a portal site and a Twitter account have a particular name.

I'm not familiar w/ this series but if it gets me any closer to a new Outrun or Panzer Dragoon Saga remaster or Rez or, hell, something new in even half of the IP they have that isn't Sonic, then I wish them the best of success.

Rephin

So when do we get that VC3 remake coming to territories outside of Japan? Sega? Hello?

Sega pls ;_;

No! According to the spin off thread VC is dead any spin off is bomba before we see a trailer, sega is ruining a franchise and don't know what they're doing.. -_-

Takao

Banned
I think you're counting your chicks before the eggs hatch, OP. Obviously if Azure Revolution is successful there will be more. If it's not? Well, I'm sure Sega will sell you some figures, art books and soundtrack CDs. Just like I imagine they're doing for Sakura Wars.

Nyoro SF

We're getting a remaster and a spin-off and that's great. I'm not going to get carried away because a portal site and a Twitter account have a particular name.

Well, where there's smoke, there's fire...

Especially since the series has laid dormant for so long, surviving solely on Selvaria figures, I don't think they'd do a double whammy of content like this (plus with all the accounts and sites they only offer to their big names) if they weren't convinced of its long-term success.

Plus it seems like more than a coincidence that we got that PC Valkyria after all. Everyone questioned why Valkyria since it was considered long dead in America, but what if it's all part of the Master System Plan for global Valkyria popularity?

I think you're counting your chicks before the eggs hatch, OP. Obviously if Azure Revolution is successful there will be more. If it's not? Well, I'm sure Sega will sell you some figures, art books and soundtrack CDs. Just like I imagine they're doing for Sakura Wars.

BAD END

Squire

Banned
Well, where there's smoke, there's fire...

Especially since the series has laid dormant for so long, surviving solely on Selvaria figures, I don't think they'd do a double whammy of content like this (plus with all the accounts and sites they only offer to their big names) if they weren't convinced of its long-term success.

Plus it seems like more than a coincidence that we got that PC Valkyria after all. Everyone questioned why Valkyria since it was considered long dead in America, but what if it's all part of the Master System Plan for global Valkyria popularity?

BAD END

Listen, I love VC. I'm as enthusiastic about its "return" as the next person. But I try to be measured in that enthusiasm.

Read into things at your own peril. Particularly when they come from a fan site, and a Sega fan site at that. In 2015.

BJK

Is this where we tell them they're making a horrible decision in stripping tactics-based combat from the new game?

Is this where we tell them they're making a horrible decision in stripping tactics-based combat from the new game?
Throw in a couple sega is trash statements, and completely disregard an interview that states it's two separate series's and your spot on

The PS4 remaster seems like a safe small-budget project which probably mostly reuses already existing code from the PC version. It's very low risk and has a chance of high reward because of the reputation the game has gained since it's original PS3 release and the (probably unexpectedly) huge success of the PC version.

The spinoff title will probably be moderately budgeted, it's being farmed out to a third-party studio, and it's going to use a different combat system which is probably regarded as a safer play for the JP domestic market. It's still relatively low risk and if it revives the franchise it will generate incredibly huge rewards and probably pave the way for a larger-budgeted SRPG like original PS3 VC was.

I don't really see this as a huge investment for Sega, if anything they are being quite cautious by not committing straight up to a full-blown SRPG on PS4 which is truly a sequel-prequel to VC. They're just testing the market here.

We should probably buy lots of VC1 Remaster on PS4 and Valkyrie of the Blue Revolution if we want Sega to make an actual VC sequel-prequel SRPG.

Mivey

On that note, I'd think you could easily transform it into a half way decent TPS: simply get rid of the turn-based system, make it all real time, except maybe during limited special attacks that slow down time as you try to get a shot.

On that note, I'd think you could easily transform it into a half way decent TPS: simply get rid of the turn-based system, make it all real time, except maybe during limited special attacks that slow down time as you try to get a shot.
There's only one TPS franchise Sega owns that they should bother expanding.

Vanquish!

Akara

Banned
One of Sega's biggest mistakes (they make a lot ok) is letting the Valkryia series die by not releasing its sequels worldwide but keeping it exclusive there. The series ended up selling a lot on PS3 and on PC and could've sold a lot more had they kept developing it and releasing it worldwide.

just SMH. Now they're trying to recover. Can't say I trust them completely yet since they've made so many bad decisions but they're getting there. Hopefully.

But then you'd only control one character and lose most of the tactical element. They'd also have to seriously upgrade the hitboxes, enemy AI and aiming/shooting mechanics for it to be any good as a TPS.

Maybe Yakuza Studio could do it. Binary Domain was half decent.

Sometimes when I hear "Sega" is doing something gaming related, I am surprised. I hold them in similar regard as Konami. Sega is barely still making games so they are slightly more relevant than Konami when it comes to gaming.

I wonder what's keeping them from going full on pachinko as well.

I hope this is a sign that Sega will do more HD Remasters of their more under appreciated titles last gen.

For example, I'd buy a collection of Sonic Generations, Sonic Colors and Sonic Unleashed (sans Werehog) remastered to 1080p60 on PS4 in a heartbeat. The PC version's 60fps really makes a night & day difference; it literally hurts my eyes to play the 2D Sonic levels on PS3. After Sonic Boom's failure, Sonic Team needs to get back into good graces with its fans. This would be a great way to start.

And don't even get me started on a Platinum Games Collection (more people should've played Vanquish dammit)!

One of Sega's biggest mistakes (they make a lot ok) is letting the Valkryia series die by not releasing its sequels worldwide but keeping it exclusive there. The series ended up selling a lot on PS3 and on PC and could've sold a lot more had they kept developing it and releasing it worldwide.

just SMH. Now they're trying to recover. Can't say I trust them completely yet since they've made so many bad decisions but they're getting there. Hopefully.

VC2 was released worldwide.

By the time VC3 was ready for release, the PSP had literally fallen off a cliff outside of JP. Even Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker basically fell off a cliff and died outside of JP and that's MGS.

This is the same sad fate which befell Fate/Extra CCC, the first game sold well and Aksys was happy with the result but by the time CCC was ready, the PSP was dead in the West and so it never came over. :(

Akara

Banned
VC2 was released worldwide.

By the time VC3 was ready for release, the PSP had literally fallen off a cliff outside of JP. Even Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker basically fell off a cliff and died outside of JP and that's MGS.

This is the same sad fate which befell Fate/Extra CCC, the first game sold well and Aksys was happy with the result but by the time CCC was ready, the PSP was dead in the West and so it never came over. :(

Oh wow, shows what I know. That completely flew by me, and yeah, didn't the PSP end up having a huge problem with piracy? Gosh darn it the luck of this series lol.

Valkyria Chronicles 1 is an amazing game, but I feel that Sega has mishandled the franchise since that game came out. It's nice that they're investing in it now, but the more they keep adding to it the further it seems to move away from what made Valkyria Chronicles 1 so good. The sequels felt like a step down and the upcoming game isn't even a SRPG anymore.

Akara

Banned
Valkyria Chronicles 1 is an amazing game, but I feel that Sega has mishandled the franchise since that game came out. It's nice that they're investing in it now, but the more they keep adding to it the further it seems to move away from what made Valkyria Chronicles 1 so good. The sequels were already a step down and the upcoming game isn't even a SRPG anymore.

If the remaster sells well, I'm guessing they'll continue that particular series. This spin-off I feel is to re-establish a old franchise by bringing in something fresh also. A little something for both old and new fans.

If the remaster sells well, I'm guessing they'll continue that particular series. This spin-off I feel is to re-establish a old franchise by bringing in something fresh also. A little something for both old and new fans.

Maybe, but after 2 sequels and 1 spin-off I'm not going to be holding my breath.

Tizoc

I see it as them playing it safe, but I'd need to see what the game plays like first and what options it would offer.
Keep in mind that Persona 5 is releasing in 2016, they'll likely want to ride its coattails and went for something a little familiar to the average RPG player I think.

Akara

Banned
I see it as them playing it safe, but I'd need to see what the game would play like first and what options it would offer.
Keep in mind that Persona 5 is releasing in 2016, they'll likely want to ride its coattails and went for something a little familiar to the average RPG player I think.

Interesting if they do go that route. and I agree, they are playing it VERY safe. The port seems to have been done directly from the PC and not sure if they are adding anything new quite yet. I wouldn't say its a low budget port, but it is a port that seems cost effective. Good luck to this series, I hope it sells well. PS4 recently hit 2million consoles sold in Japan so I'm hoping just a fraction of those console owners buy this and give it a shot.

IKeep in mind that Persona 5 is releasing in 2016, they'll likely want to ride its coattails and went for something a little familiar to the average RPG player I think.

That's got me thinking, you know how VC1 had Skies of Arcadia cameos? What if Revolution had Persona cameos? :O

I actually haven't played Binary Domain, sorry. But I know that Vanquish is an incredible game that is unrivaled in TPS prowess.

Vanquish is the better TPS but Binary Domain has more memorable characters and interesting squad/ally mechanics which I guess makes it more comparable to VC than Vanquish, but not really.

Tizoc

^How many remasters on PS4, X1 and Wii U changed stuff from the base game?

I actually haven't played Binary Domain, sorry. But I know that Vanquish is an incredible game that is unrivaled in TPS prowess.

If you got a capable lappy/PC, the game goes for $4.99 or lower during sales, def. check it out.
It plays like more traditional TPS, but it has a great cast.
Also you blow up robots
LOTS OF ROBOTS
AND THEY EXPLODE WHEN YOU KILL THEM!
THEY EXPLODE!

^How many remasters on PS4, X1 and Wii U changed stuff from the base game?

If you got a capable lappy/PC, the game goes for $4.99 or lower during sales, def. check it out.
It plays like more traditional TPS, but it has a great cast.
Also you blow up robots
LOTS OF ROBOTS
AND THEY EXPLODE WHEN YOU KILL THEM!
THEY EXPLODE!
I'm gonna make you real sad. I own it from the humble bundle. Got to beat that backlog first!

Nyoro SF

Portal site combines everything that used to be standalone. Games, spinoffs, anime, and merchandise.

Speaking of merch, someone buy me this.

In all seriousness, I don't think they'd go to all this trouble just for kicks. Even if this series will only survive in Japan, as long as I can get my mitts on it, I'll be satisfied. Far cry from a few months ago when we thought we were doomed to mobile Valkyira games.

Top Bottom