• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Hands-on with PS4's PlayStation 2 emulation

Fury451

Banned
giphy.gif

This sums up my reaction well.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
MS emulating 360 on X1 is a better solution to PS2 emulation on PS4?

Talk about nonsense.

One is a solution for 360 emulation, the other for PS2.

Sony gives zero fucks about 360 emulation or X1.

This is seriously more impressive than the 360 emulation because:

1. Framerate has been bumped to 60fps
2. Increased resolution
3. Trophy support added

entremet

Why are people telling others to read the OP?

We read it. It's still exciting. I don't get it.

Yes, this is most likely a digital only solution like late model PS3s. Still pretty cool.

Portugeezer

I wonder if there's an emulator build for each game or if it's like X1's 360 BC and there's an universal PS2 emulator and they simply tweak some parameters for each game.

Probably the latter. Sony did similar with PS1 classics on PSP. It was a file conversion to make it PSP compatible, hackers even got a hold of it and people were making any PS1 game work on PSP.

Teletraan1

Banned
I just want to be able to play my PSN purchased Squaresoft games from PS1. I never imagined that the PS4 wouldn't be able to play these for 2 years into its life. The fucking PSP could. Time to triangle indeed Mr. Cerny.

LewieP

The PSone and PS2 libraries are significantly better than the PS3's, so this is preferable.

Especially when you consider the decent selection of crossgen games, crossbuy games, and definitive editions means that a decent portion of PS3 games have some kind of native PS4 version now anyway.

FranXico

2. Increased resolution
3. Trophy support added

It's not that impressive when you take into account that the emulated hardware is significantly simpler. I would say they ought to achieve those things in this day and age.

MrDaravon

Imagine getting all those trophies for your PSone and PS2 games.

Trophies for Legend of Mana
Trophies for Xenogears
Trophies for Suikoden II
Trophies for Mega Man Legends
Trophies for God Hand
Trophies for Shin Megami Tensei III
Trophies for Persona 3 FES

Stop

I can't

Please no

2. Increased resolution
3. Trophy support added

We're talking about PS2 games here, a framerate and resolution increase are no-brainers.

Trophy support is legit though

Sakura

Sounds cool, but if I can't use the PS2/PS1 games I've already purchased, then I'm not interested. I will not be rebuying games.

Sevyne

If it's simple emulation, there won't be trophies.
If there are trophies, it means the game has been partially re-worked.

The patent for trophies on the older games says otherwise. They can be added without altering the original game. The triggers for trophies would not be baked into the games, but set console side in how the way a disc is read. Something like that. I'm sure someone more savvy could elaborate on that more.

Edit: Beaten to it, and in a better way.

LewieP

I am sort of amazed at the idea that trophies would be more important to people than resolution/framerate improvements.

If trophies are mandatory I would be irritated because it would be a potential barrier to certain games getting released (if the publishers decided that the cost of implementing trophies was not worth it).

KalBalboa

Banned
It's not that impressive when you take into account that the emulated hardware is significantly simpler. I would say they ought to achieve those things in this day and age.

Adding in custom trophy support for each game is a noteworthy addition, no matter how you slice it.

It's kind of unprecedented outside of straight-up remasters.

Kayant

Based on DF sources from last year and what we have now here I think it fair to say something is happening and more than likely at PSX because it's the perfect event to unveil this.

Ludens

Banned
You don't need to "rework" the game to have trophies.

I don't know how trophies are handled on PS3/PS4, but I'm pretty sure you need to put your hands on the code to say "By doing X, you unlock the Y trophy", so yes, you need to partially rework the game if it's something like Steam achievement api.

The patent for trophies on the older games says otherwise. They can be added without altering the original game. The triggers for trophies would not be baked into the games, but set console side in how the way a disc is read. Something like that. I'm sure someone more savvy could elaborate on that more.

Edit: Beaten to it, and in a better way.

I don't know how this works, but someone can explain it to me? How the emulator can "read" the game and unlock a trophy?

Siphorus

This is pretty cool. I never owned a PS2, so I've only played a few of the classics. I'm a little surprised at how low the native resolution is for the emulator, however, the integration into the main PS4 operating system seems very nice. Hopefully I can pick up Bounty Hunter on the store soon! :)

GnawtyDog

Banned
Disc-based emulation is all I need (or at the least, having the disc in the tray allows me to download a digital version of the game)...

Gotta start planning my lists for eBay acquisition.

MUnited83

For you.
I don't know how trophies are handled on PS3/PS4, but I'm pretty sure you need to put your hands on the code to say "By doing X, you unlock the Y trophy", so yes, you need to partially rework the game if it's something like Steam achievement api-

No, you don't. Read the posts above.

edit:
I don't know how trophies are handled on PS3/PS4, but I'm pretty sure you need to put your hands on the code to say "By doing X, you unlock the Y trophy", so yes, you need to partially rework the game if it's something like Steam achievement api.

I don't know how this works, but someone can explain it to me? How the emulator can "read" the game and unlock a trophy?
Simple: It can look at changes on the game's memory, and use it to define if the requirements for a certain trophy were achieved.

Shenmue

Banned
The SW games have such specific trophies. Doesn't this suggest that we won't be getting disc based emulation as those need to be patched in somehow?

So trophies are going to be Sony's excuse why we have to rebuy our already owned PS classics for PS4 isnt it?
Trophies, the benefits of a digital copy, upscaling and the ability to game stream to other platforms.

We have known that at some point both the XB1 and PS4 would be marketed to more casual players as they buy the consoles because of new Media features: Vidipath, DVR, DSS replacement for the Cable card, ATSC 2.0, UHD Blu-ray and digital bridge using Playready ND, Playstation Vue, Playstation Now and because they can Play media and Games as well as stream media and PS1, 2, 3 and 4 games to other platforms.

It is no coincidence that the PS4 survey mentioned both PS1, PS2 emulation and PS4 Firmware 4.0 or that Firmware 3.10 included the ability to create sub-accounts with parental controls for kids.

That Sony released PS1 and PS2 emulation without fanfare doesn't mean it isn't going to be part of a marketing blitz next year. The hipper Grandparents can watch their Grandchildren play the games they played as teenagers (PS1) remotely at home with ooVoo for video chat at the same time they game share......

Top Bottom