• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pro Evolution Soccer 2016 Going Free-to-Play?

PES2016-0.jpg

"Konami hasn’t done itself many favours in the eyes of gamers over recent months. It all started when Konami and Metal Gear Solid creator, Hideo Kojima, started having a tantrum at one another before eventually declaring that “they are no longer best friends” after almost three decades of BFF-ness.

The subsequent release of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain and its plethora of problems, not to mention heavy pushing towards microtransactions, really didn’t help Konami look like the good guy. Pro Evolution Soccer 2016, however, did hit all the right notes with footy enthusiasts and we even declared it to the superior soccer sim in our review.

However, all that goodwill looks like it’s being flushed down the loo: Konami is releasing Pro Evolution Soccer 2016: Free to Play. Most won’t really mind, but it’ll still feel like a bit of a kick in the teeth considering the full game itself hasn’t been out all that long. We’ve no idea what platforms the game will release on; all we know is that it was recently rated by the Australian ratings board.

It’d make sense if this was targeted towards the Asian market where free-to-play games have become something of the norm, but seeing as it was rated in the land down under, we sense this one’s getting a wider release. If it ends up as a download on PS4 and Xbox One, don’t be surprised to see that #F**kKonami make a reappearance."

Source:
TheGamesCabin.com
Australian Classification

WTF??

Lock if old. Thx.

slash3584

Oh no! Messi is injured!

Buy 1000 Konami credits to get Jesuschrist to heal him, or wait 6 months of gameplay time.

What a great goal!! Wanna save the replay? 10 credits.

But joking aside; I would get it just to play some matches online with friends.

dc89

Wut. I'm in.
I can't see it being the full game, maybe just the licensed teams from the big leagues.

Considering that this bombed this year, I can see Konami making it free and hoping that the My Club microtransaction revenue covers the theoretical loss.

I also suspect that it's going to be the last Pro Evo.

Ranma

if i can play offline by myself and online with friends without having to pay for silly stuff, il'll get it.
i dont give a shit about myclub.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
That would explain the total clusterfuck the roster updates have been. Pay $10 for an up-to-date roster or get an outdated roster for free.

Pay $5 if you want your keepers to actually defend the goal.

Pay $5 if you want referees to see all the fouls.

Takao

Banned
IIRC Konami launched a F2P version of last year's game in Japan. I guess they're rolling it out globally this time.

jiggles

Banned
After the great success of MGSV's virtual property and contents insurance, it's time to branch out virtual health insurance for PES players.

jabuseika

This is probably like the Free-to-Play version of PES2015 that was released on asian markets.

It's only the myClub portion of the game, and you have to pay real money to unlock players for your club.

Grabbed it from the latest sale at half price. Gameplay is really really good, if they'd fix the goalkeepers it would be even better. Netcode is decent too.

Hanmik

I don't think so..

just got this press release..

Konami is pleased to announce that it will look to reward those who have continued to support the franchise by offering its forthcoming UEFA EURO 2016 content for free to everyone who owns PES 2016.

Comment from Erik Bladinieres, Football & Alliances Director: 'It has been a difficult few months for the fans in how we have been delivering content in our recent Data Packs, with some items missing that our consumers expected. The PES Production team appreciate their fans’ support and want to reward their support and bring back confidence in the Data Pack releases. With this announcement, we hope we can regain their trust. The next Data Pack is scheduled for early December, including the Maracana stadium, more faces, new national team kits, club teams and the player roster which was confirmed on October 19th. We strive to keep delivering quality content to our fans, for free. The content of the UEFA EURO 2016 content has yet to be defined, but all content delivered by Data Pack featuring EURO for next year's prestigious tournament will be free to all existing users.'

Spooneh

Neo Member
I think I'm fine with the idea.
Even FIFA has a F2P version already.

I'm guessing you mean Fifa World? As far as I know EA pulled the plug on that one.

I'd feel bad for those who bought it but I would really like a f2p MyClub (or whatever the PES ultimate team mode is called). I can see me playing a chunk of that,

I really want a football game aimed at being a competitive esport like thing. They'd need a good spectator mode and a mode with no pay element in team selection (maybe something with a max total team rating) - Maybe PES could try it because keeping on the path they are on they are probably heading no where.

inky

Have you guys seen Konami's monetization methods? You DO NOT want this, lol.

PC version is crap anyways.

Business

Free online exhibition match mode? I assume it's only with a handful of teams available like in a demo?

ngower

Myclub is basically like Ultimate Team. You can play cups, individual matches, etc. You have to negotiate team chemistry, managerial and player contracts, etc. You don't get to play as Arsenal or Chelsea or Munich or whomever, you are just playing as your team. I enjoy it, play a few matches a week. It's good fun and free.

As someone who played a lot of Ultimate Team I will certainly give a F2P PES a look.

With that being said: I don't know why people pour in literally hundreds or thousands of dollars in that game mode. The difference between the regular card and the TOTW (or other special cards) card is negligible, it doesn't offset the skill differences one bit. Heck you can get really really good players for 1-2K. And even if you wanr the really expensive cards: Buying packs is just stupid, it's a really bad value proposition.

Sorry if that sounds condescending but I really don't understand it. Am I missing something?

Haunted

It's hard to not see this as a last ditch effort by Konami to make PES stay relevant by taking EA's successful Ultimate Team format and putting it forward to its logical conclusion as a F2P microtransaction fueled hamster wheel/spinner box.

So this version is up in the ps4 and pc and not xbox one,why?
It's also not on WiiU. Expected sales numbers probably don't cover the porting costs.

Top Bottom