• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Realistically, what are the chance of Wii Sports to become a big hit ?

I was browsing through this thread and this thread, seeing that people have so much faith on the success of Wii Sports, and I was wondering...
What are the chances of the Wii Sport brand to become the big success a lot of people are expecting right now ?
I'm conscious that it may be really too early to ask this question, notably because we have at the moment no concrete idea of the marketing plan Nintendo have for this game... But I would like to know the thoughts of other people on the subject.
So, any ideas/predictions/analysis ?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
yeah, many have been postulating that this is gonna be a pack-in.
so in that sense, it would be an instant success.
if they try to sell it at full price, i'm not sure it will do very well; then again, i haven't played it.

Odysseus

Banned
I think it will be successful in the same way Mario sports or SSBM were on GameCube. It'll sell loads, but it will basically be something that sells to the base and to few others. Just as I don't see Wii bringing new people into the fold, I don't think Wii Sports will be all that different from recent Nintendo success stories.

Cheebs

Odysseus said:
I think it will be successful in the same way Mario sports or SSBM were on GameCube. It'll sell loads, but it will basically be something that sells to the base and to few others. Just as I don't see Wii bringing new people into the fold, I don't think Wii Sports will be all that different from recent Nintendo success stories.
Wii won't bring new people into the fold? Based on what? If it gets it's own Brain Age or Nintendogs it obviously will since those two brought new gamers on DS in insane amounts.

These games have as much substance as the Eyetoy compilations. So they will be pure boredom for an experienced gamer, but they might draw non-gamers.

i see it being pretty big, personally

i mean i could definitely see me playing that (the tennis game, specifically) with my parents or grandparents and them having a blast

Guns N' Poops said:
These games have as much substance as the Eyetoy compilations. So they will be pure boredom for an experienced gamer, but they might draw non-gamers.

i dont think so. i'd love to have friends over and play something like that ... playing alone, i guess that's another story

Odysseus said:
Just as I don't see Wii bringing new people into the fold, I don't think Wii Sports will be all that different from recent Nintendo success stories.
Your post sounds a bit contradictory since "recent Nintendo success stories" (i'm thinking Brain Training and Nintendogs) have proved they have brought new people into the fold.

Oda

Cheebs said:
Wii won't bring new people into the fold? Based on what? If it gets it's own Brain Age or Nintendogs it obviously will since those two brought new gamers on DS in insane amounts.
Nintendogs maybe, but I'm kinda hesitant to believe gamers will jump at the bit for a game like Brain Training on a home console. Purposefully sitting down to play a home console is a lot different than whipping out a handheld on the go.

I ain't saying it won't happen though, I'm not that crazy after what's happened with the DS. Just that I'm skeptical the userbases will translate over so smoothly. It's funny though, as I'll be neither surprised if it does or doesn't. 50/50 I guess.

Ponn

Banned
From what I gather it doesn't have much depth, more like a xavix game. For those with families or lots of friends into those arcade type games it might be pretty popular. Just from listening to my friends who are excited for Wii I think it will become the new home for people who are into arcade style games, quick fun, low on depth and abandoned orphans from sega consoles.

stolin

I was at E3 2006. I played all the Wii Sports games. I dislike ALL (EA, 2K Sports) traditional sports games.

That being said I believe Wii Sports is gonna be huge. Even the Mario Sports series had an entry barrier that I couldn't get everyone (Parents, girlfriends..) to play...

For as weird and funky as it looks as soon as you grab the Wiimote you understand what you need to do. It's THAT simple.

I'm personally expecting a new phenominon like Brain Age and Nintendogs with this. Wait and see.

Grayman

How many sports does it include? I've just seen tennis shots.

If wii comes packed in with 2 remotes it could be decent.

If wii came packed with 4 remotes I could see families trying it around the tv.

Wii won't come packed in with 4 remotes.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Billy Rygar said:
If Americans can stomach the idea of playing "sports" it will be a success

needs more corn dogs, nachos, and cracker jacks.
we americans like to snack while we exercise.
...or watch other people exercise.

_leech_ said:
Not much, i'd say. It just seems too simplistic and dumbed down.

Don't simple games appeal more to the mass than complex games ?
Personally, I think a contrario that his simplicity is a positive aspect of this game, and maybe another factor of success.

Odysseus

Banned
Operations said:
Your post sounds a bit contradictory since "recent Nintendo success stories" (i'm thinking Brain Training and Nintendogs) have proved they have brought new people into the fold.

Sorry for being vague, but I was speaking specifically of GameCube and Nintendo 64. I won't lump in Nintendo's handheld successes when speaking of home consoles until there is actually some evidence of overlap.

Stormbringer said:
Don't simple games appeal more to the mass than complex games ?

So? Here you have this innovative new controller and the only way you'll get people to use it is if you dumb everything down? That's a bad direction to go into. I think the Wii version of Madden will be a far better test of the Wii's mainstream success potential.

gjb-sensei

Nintendo invented the pixel...
I think it has a pretty good shot as becoming a hit, especially taking into the equation the fact that they're targeting "non-gamers" with it.

PolyGone

Banned
the thing is, you're comparing it to western sports titles - you have to think about it from the Japanese perspective. I think over there it will have a huge impact. Maybe not so much over here. But then, nobody has actually played it yet.

Xellotah

Nintendo have been very good recently at pushing their 'non-games'. I think a targeted marketing campaign from Nintendo will all but guarantee its success.

_leech_ said:
So? Here you have this innovative new controller and the only way you'll get people to use it is if you dumb everything down?

not necessarily ... its just that the objective with this thing is to attract new gamers. the primary reason why people don't play video games is allegedly because they're too complicated and not worth the trouble to learn for a quick and fun time

look at something like, pac-man for example. yeah its rudimentary gameplay but its just as engaging as some games now are if not more and it had a wider appeal

Azazela

Banned
Odysseus said:
Sorry for being vague, but I was speaking specifically of GameCube and Nintendo 64. I won't lump in Nintendo's handheld successes when speaking of home consoles until there is actually some evidence of overlap.

Compare & contrast the success of Animal Crossing on GCN vs DS...

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Given the responses it had so far and the fact that it's being pushed as a flagship launch title for Wii, realistically it has a very good chance of becoming a big hit. It could even become one of the biggest Wii titles, there's a big chance of that too actually. It's not a hardcore gamer game though, at least initially, if people who don't play games are drawn to Wii in any way it will be first and foremostly done by Wii Sports.

Amir0x

Banned
I think it'll do really good. Probably the best seller at Wii launch, imo (if you don't count Zelda, which conveniently I don't).

People loved their stripped down games, path of least resistance and all that.

stolin

_leech_ said:
I think the Wii version of Madden will be a far better test of the Wii's mainstream success potential.

I completely disagree. Here's a quote from the E3 issue of Nintendo Power. Don't laugh until you read and think about it.

"There are 150 million football fans and only 7 million play Madden. Madden on Wii is for the other 143 million."

Why does Madden have that entry barrier to alienate those 143 million fans? I don't think the first rev of Madden Wii will have that impact at all. But if games like Wii Sports start to grab the appeal of sports fans who cannot care or have time to learn the complex history of game like Madden then we have something special.

There's a reason why Tennis, Golf, Baseball are in the package. Everybody's seen, heard or played them. But why won't all these people run out and buy EA's version of them?

My prediction is that Wii Sports is gonna have the biggest pyramid effect of any game of all time. You tell 2 friends to play.. They tell 2 friends to play... Those 4 people tell 3 firends to play.... All of a sudden we've broken out of the barriers of current sport players.

Again.. Wait and see.

_leech_ said:
So? Here you have this innovative new controller and the only way you'll get people to use it is if you dumb everything down? That's a bad direction to go into

I can see why this game may seem "dumbed down" or "over-simplified" in the eyes of the hardcore gamers. But as already mentionned, the hardcore gamers aren' the only target of this game, and it's certainly not the only game which will be simplified to a certain extent to appeal to more people outside of the traditionnal base.

Bo130

Wii Sports has about the same chance of becomming a succes as Nintendogs and Brain Training did, I think - both of which succes took us by surprise. If Nintendo launch this (not pack-in, mind you) for $20, or possibly $30 with a pack-in controller, and markets it good (in store demos, TV-commercials) it could very well be one of the best selling games of the fiscal year 2007.

And as mentioned above, the mouth-to-mouth word is essential for this game, and above factors like the price and such is as well. This game could be absolutely huge, esp. Tennis. I'm looking forward to see what other sports they'll include - if any.

dextran

It's going to capture the same feeling that Combat did on the 2600. My parents bought me a 2600 when i was sick with the chicken pox, and playing combat with my father - really cemented the future of gaming for me. Same thing with Duck Hunt, Excitebike, Kung Fu, and even freaking Gyromite. The emotional impact of a Xmas gift that is wholesome family entertainment - it can be huge.

Are you kidding me? You don't even move your player around the tennis court. All you do is swing the wiimote when the ball gets near you. Take it from someone who played it at E3, it's not that fun - and I was (and still pretty much am) a fan of the Wii's other games.

Wii Sports is the "Maze Game" of the Wii; packed in as an early ancestor of Wii games with the most basic of basic of basics with a 5 minute max gameplay apeal.
It will be shelved quite quicker then what most people think

gutter_trash said:
Wii Sports is the "Maze Game" of the Wii; packed in as an early ancestor of Wii games with the most basic of basic of basics with a 5 minute max gameplay apeal.
It will be shelved quite quicker then what most people think

What he said unless they actually dedicate themselves to the genre and improve it on a somewhat regular basis.

siege

Banned
artful_dodger said:
Are you kidding me? You don't even move your player around the tennis court. All you do is swing the wiimote when the ball gets near you. Take it from someone who played it at E3, it's not that fun - and I was (and still pretty much am) a fan of the Wii's other games.

Whaat? You don't move your player? I defintely don't want it then.

artful_dodger said:
You don't even move your player around the tennis court.

What?? Is this true? I didn't even know this before i called it dumbed down, now it pretty much cements my opinion. Couldn't you easily control player movement with the nunchaku attachment?

Amir0x

Banned
_leech_ said:
What?? Is this true? I didn't even know this before i called it dumbed down, now it pretty much cements my opinion. Couldn't you easily control player movement with the nunchaku attachment?

I didn't realize that either, but seems that is true. Yeah, that's pretty terrible. I knew these games were stripped beyond all recognition and association with "fun", but that is... yikes. Really trying to appeal to the retard set with that one

Grayman

Wow a tennis game where you don't move your dude :(

anyone have red or black market? I want to write failure on this game now.

Amir0x

Banned
Grayman said:
Wow a tennis game where you don't move your dude :(

anyone have red or black market? I want to write failure on this game now.

marker? Oh, it still won't be a failure. It's appealing to everyone who hates games, not us! So it'll sell 3,000,000 copies.

And as gamers, we should welcome this totally warranted change so that the industry can be changed and then saved!

Top Bottom