• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft To Introduce "Consumables" Hope you liked Microtransactions BOHICA TIME

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3152856

Microsoft mentioned a new kind of microtransaction at the session, as well, which they are calling "consumables." These purchases would be re-purchasable items i.e. if a game was selling 100 gold pieces, you would be able to rebuy 100 gold pieces when you needed them. The "consumables" tech will be included in this fall's release of the SDK.

I'm I reading this right? For example in an RPG if I wanted to to buy a some ludicrous sword, I go and literally buy gold pieces for whatever amount of real dollars it cost to get enough gold in the game. I don't like the avenue they are going down.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Also known as RAPE THE CONSUMER

This shit is horrible. It sounds like you can conquer the game by using your dollars instead of your gaming skills

Mark Gonzales said:
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3152856

Microsoft mentioned a new kind of microtransaction at the session, as well, which they are calling "consumables." These purchases would be re-purchasable items i.e. if a game was selling 100 gold pieces, you would be able to rebuy 100 gold pieces when you needed them. The "consumables" tech will be included in this fall's release of the SDK.

I'm I reading this right? For example in an RPG if I wanted to to buy a some ludicrous sword, I go and literally buy gold pieces for whatever amount of real dollars it cost to get enough gold in the game. I don't like the avenue they are going down.

Don't like it? Don't buy it.

sangreal

I don't mind Microtransactions, but without hearing any other examples this sounds pretty lame. I don't want to have to start paying real money for ammo in games.

snatches

Surreal said:
Microsoft, why'd you have to go and make things so complicated.

avril-lavigne-7.jpg

Core407

Banned
Just more proof that microtransactions are just an attempt at making money and not improving the user experience.

Akia

And just like that Microsoft gave all the weekly gaming podcasts something to rant about this week.

Russ

Banned
EQ2, what have you done?!?!??!*

*Sony

BTW, if a next gen game costs 10 to 15 million to make, who is to say this is not 100% neccesary to not 'Acclaim' publishers this time around?

Gamers want a true, polished next gen experience, for a mostly reasonable purchase price. There isnt a next gen asset/production tree that sits in every dev houses' backyard. Quality costs money.

thanks to all you ****ers buying into microtransactions I only wish i could give each of you the finger

cause if things keep going this way your gonna have to pay for everything ohh you beat level 3 well you need to pay us 10 dollars to see level 4

****ing aye ****ing aye

Ranger X

Core407 said:
Just more proof that microtransactions are just an attempt at making money and not improving the user experience.

Oh yeah baby. Slowly brainwashing the gamer in more and more spendings.
But we are going to be flamed for saying such things. People are already in the boat, microtransacting alot and they don't feel Bill Gates's member entering their behinds because he's smart, he's going very slowly.

Core407

Banned
Ranger X said:
Oh yeah baby. Slowly brainwashing the gamer in more and more spendings.
But we are going to be flamed for saying such things. People are already in the boat, microtransacting alot and they don't feel Bill Gates's member entering their behinds because he's smart, he's going very slowly.

I don't mind paying money for extra content, but the idea of paying a certain amount of money for an in-game item is just stupid and I don't think it'll supported by many developers.

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
offtopic said:
Nice. Optional purchases are good as long as they aren't required to enjoy the game.

and bingo was his name-o...

yeah, basically.. people have a free will.. if you don´t want to "microtransact".. then don´t...

offtopic said:
Nice. Optional purchases are good as long as they aren't required to enjoy the game.

haven't you heard? Oblivion is a 3 hour game and they make you buy the rest of it via teh microtransactions.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
It's not that big of a deal, games like Gunbound have been doing it for years where you can just pay real world money to get stuff instead of investing hours into earning that stuff. As long as there's always a way to earn items the hard way (for free), I don't mind Consumables.

Sony is likely to have something similar. And if idiots weren't spending 1200 points on a GRAW map pack, or 400 points for Horse Armor, we wouldn't see this shit. But instead, people line up and pay for this stuff.

Core407 said:
Well, yeah. Do you think anyone is really trying to save the industry or something like that as well?

Ranger X said:
Slowly brainwashing the gamer in more and more spendings.
Brainwashing? The service is merely being offered. I'd never use something like that, but if there's a market for it, I don't see why it's wrong for MS to cater to it.

Ranger X

Core407 said:
I don't mind paying money for extra content, but the idea of paying a certain amount of money for an in-game item is just stupid and I don't think it'll supported by many developers.

Well, if we are getting used to microtransactions and also if we are ever in a world where episodic gaming is the norm it could be possible to see those "consumables" as something remotely normal.
God i wish we will never see this futur. (or at least me)

123rl

**** that! I'm not paying money to get extra items and money. That's like paying money to use cheats that ruin the game:lol If that becomes mandatory ie the ONLY way to gain money is to pay for it, then I will never buy a game that does this

DON'T ****ING BUY IT PEOPLE! IF PEOPLE SUCK SO MUCH THAT THEY HAVE TO BUY THEIR GOLD, LEAVE THEM ALONE AND FEEL BETTER KNOWING THAT YOU'RE THE BETTER GAMER AND MOST IMPORTANTLY... STFU!!!!

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
As someone else described my first thought was.... oh great now instead of playing said RPG for X # of hours to get powered up weapon someone can just fork over real cash to get it.... or a powered up weapon in an FPS... increased stats in a make your own character sports game, etc.

It's definitely a slippery slope, it'll be interesting to see what games start taking advantage of this.

1 Bullet in Halo 3 = 1 MS Point. Rockets and sniper shots will naturally cost more... BALANCED GAMEPLAY AHOY!

Heck maybe they can retro fit the arcade games so that you need to pump in 25 marketplace points everytime you need another credit.

bill0527

Oh here we go... its all Microsoft's fault for ruining gaming....

If some of you didn't know this .. people have been selling gold and items for MMORPGS for years on ebay.

People have actually set up companies to sell you gold and to powerlevel you in World of Warcraft .. all you need is a credit card.

This all started back in the Everquest days, and I might be wrong, but I believe that Sony Online already has a store set up similar to this. If they don't have it set up, I do remember talk of them cutting out the middle man making profits off their games on the side, and setting up their own store so that they could keep all the money.

Russ

Banned
Dracos said:
Man this industry is going in the wrong direction.

The industry needs to evolve or it will die. So many big budget games out there, publishers need to know they can garner extra income from games to make up for the flops.

And there will be flops, oh yes there will be flops.

Mrbob

Well perhaps this system will let me sell my stuff if I wanted too. I'll sell my PSU monies to people over Live, put them towards some live arcade games boomcha. **** paying these companies any more money though on 60 dollar games. Like I said go Nintendo, seems like MS and Sony need a little ass kicking to get their shit back in perspective.

Russ said:
The industry needs to evolve or it will die. So many big budget games out there, publishers need to know they can garner extra income from games to make up for the flops.
If this is the direction they are going, I would rather it die.

Russ said:

And there will be flops, oh yes there will be flops.

Yea this is evolution.

If you're making a game that costs too damn much, make it in 2 or 3 years when technology and cost are in line with your dreams. Don't charge me 3 bucks for weapons and armor and shit.

Top Bottom