• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How can anyone hate Christmas music?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I can understand retail workers... but like... I just don't know about everyone else.

Hating Christmas music is like hating Christmas itself. And hating Christmas doesn't make sense to me either. I say that as an atheist by the way. I love the decorations, the atmosphere and spending time with my family. Christmas is my favorite holiday. The mythology and tradition of the holiday is a lot of fun

If you are turned off by the gift giving, that is on you not the holiday. You built that prison for yourself. But I digress.

There are so many great Christmas songs of every genre. I look forward to being able to turn on the radio and listen to a bunch of awesome music. And don't give me shot about redundancy either. It's not like radio stations vary their playlists that much anyway.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
It is awful and I don't want to hear it everywhere I go. It's quite easy to hate it.

Google

I agree with you OP.

There are certain Christmas songs I prefer - (Wizzard for example - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoxQ4Ul_DME )

But I cant be angry at a song for trying to get people in the mood for Christmas. The best time of year.

Fuck all the haters - LETS JUST BUILD LEGO AND PLAY FINAL FANTASY VIII ALL DAY!

Kisaya

It's not something I would put on a playlist at home, but nothing beats walking down a retail strip and hearing Christmas music. Being at Rockfeller with the tree and light decorations just makes it even more magical.

It's not something I would put on a playlist at home, but nothing beats walking down a retail strip and hearing Christmas music. Being at Rockfeller with the tree and light decorations just makes it even more magical.

I listenjoy to Christmas music at home all the time during this time of year.

Johnny Mathis goat.

Christmas (and the music) is like pop music. It's not offensive (a bit too harmless), but when overplayed, it's extremely annoying, too saccharine, and you just want it to go away. It's the marketing and people that are the problem, not likely the actual content.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
I goddamn hate christmas music, especially the pop kind.
It's overdone.

bjork

Because the best Christmas tape I ever had was a reggae christmas tape that I got from a car wash in like 1992, and I have never been able to find another copy of it in any variety. It's like wanting a specific type of food and everything tries but just doesn't taste the same.

Ultimadrago

I love the Christmas season with all of its materialistic splendor, but too many of the same songs are sung and re-re-re-sung. I can easily see how some would get sick of it.

Add that to a usually depressing, sickly America magically overexerting the pretense of eternal thankfulness and joy (traditionally portrayed through media, but also throughout the public) for an interestingly sour experience.

I feel the opposite. I can listen to it at home or in the car if I want, but don't force me to listen to it other places. As soon as I get to work(gas station), I change it to normal music. It's not that I hate it, it just gets overplayed.

The months leading up to Christmas are by and large tacky, gaudy, and filled with corny sentiment. The music is no exception.

I enjoy the day itself, but the music, the decorations, the tv specials and whatnot all leading up to it can eat a dick.

Just ban Mariah Carey and Band Aid from all Christmas playlists and I'll be happy all month.

Who wants that shit when you can have Wizzard and Jona Lewie and The Pogues.

There's nothing about December that makes me feel "man, all this music i've been listening to has been alright, but it feels like time to listen to nothing but sappy pop jangles." There's a couple Christmas songs I like, like Let it Snow, but I still get tired of them real quick.

Just ban Mariah Carey and Band Aid from all Christmas playlists and I'll be happy all month.

Who wants that shit when you can have Wizzard and Jona Lewie and The Pogues.

882.gif

Don't you talk about my girl Mariah like that.

There are a few christmas songs that I like, but as with all music I've ever heard, I don't like listening to the same shit for an entire month every year.

badblue

Gold Member
Christmas music is all happy and cheerful all the fucking time. Every song. And a lot of the time, its the same exact song, just sung slightly different. Oh, here's the 200th version of Jingle Bells... Or Walking in a winter wonderland...
And it's everywhere. It's on the radio, TV, in the malls... There is almost no escape.

No other season or holiday is like this. If it's winter before New Years, it's Christmas music time.

Fuck Chirstmas music. Unless it's DethKlok Christmas.

Empty

it's like being trapped in a train carriage sitting next to a group of very bubbly, over-excited, much too loud girls. for a whole month.

there are some good alternative christmas songs (i like sufjan's albums and the charlie brown christmas soundtrack) but they are a tiny ripple compared to the same obnoxious ten songs flooding over you again and again. the experience is unpleasant.

Add that to a usually depressing, sickly America giving the pretense of eternal thankfulness and joy (traditionally portrayed through media) for an interestingly sour experience.

Which is why the Black Mirror Christmas special is bloody amazing. Sickeningly sweet satire.

black-mirror-jon-hamm.jpg

Alphahawk

A lot of it was written in the 1950s and 40s and it shows. There are weird touches like orchestral backdrops and crooning that left pop music decades ago for a reason.

Also no one really bothers to make "new" songs they just cover the same 20 or so songs ad nausium.

I guess I can understand retail workers...
LOL, Walmarts is on like a 2 hour loop and it stays on after we close.
And as soon as we started playing it corporate came down on employees using earbuds.
And to top it off Walmart seriously got the absolute worst renditions possible.

"giddy up, giddy up, giddy up, giddy up" "sleigh ride, sleigh ride, sleigh ride"
(thats all there is to it, repeats for like 2 minutes, feels like hours.)

Have you ever worked in retail or a customer-facing job with muzak?
If not it makes sense why you don't dislike christmas music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom