• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Red Steel pics

SantaC

red-steel-20060817041706910.jpg

red-steel-20060817041713863.jpg

red-steel-20060817041712613.jpg

red-steel-20060817041711160.jpg

red-steel-20060817041709692.jpg

red-steel-20060817041629238.jpg

red-steel-20060817041708285.jpg

red-steel-20060817041651754.jpg

red-steel-20060817041716535.jpg

also a new interview up at IGN.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/726/726285p1.html

unifin

Well, the characters don't look as weird as they did before, and texture work seems improved.

Good stuff.

siege

Banned
The 6th shot looks like he's shooting at one of those pop-up targets. As a matter of fact, all the characters look far too flat.

Piper Az said:
Why is this game such a big deal? is it all about the Wiimote?

It was the first Wii title revealed, and it looked in the magazine really good. But then real screens emerged and reports on how it played, then it shot down the list. MP3 is leagues ahead of it.

Piper Az said:
Why is this game such a big deal? is it all about the Wiimote?
Exclusive Wii launch title that is "mature" and from a prominent developer (this is the team that did XIII at Ubi Paris I think.) Looks OK to me, I hope it plays well but the whole thing looks generic to me the more I see it (outside of the control)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
That looks awful. It's like they built the game on the engine powering Project Snowblind or something. :p

SantaC

Bozon said that the ubisoft team is busting their asses to fix the game. They acknowledge the problems from E3.

by Matt Casamassina

August 17, 2006 - Publisher Ubisoft is working overtime to deliver Wii owners a ground-up exclusive first-person shooter called Red Steel in time for the launch of Nintendo's new generation system later this year. The developer offered gamers a first glimpse of the title in playable form at May's Electronic Entertainment Expo. Since that time, the team working on the ambitious project has been improving both controls and visuals for the better.

Q: Where are you with Red Steel graphically speaking?

Ubisoft:In terms of graphics, we proceed step by step for Red Steel.

Ubisoft: The Wii kits actually arrived one month prior E3. The E3 demo had to be delivered so quick that we could not take time to implement the whole graphic chart we developed. So, the E3 version's graphics was a work in progress, just to be show-able, but not finished. We wanted to take time to see people play for the first time with our game, help them to handle the Wii remote and finally, let the door open to all useful changes that would be necessary for the gameplay.

Now we work on developing our complete style specific to Red Steel that will not only be a great support to the scenario and the gameplay, but also be the visual identity and signature for this new brand. We keep working a lot on the impact of the graphics and on the way the player plays as well.

Q: Do you feel limited vs. the power of the console?

Ubisoft: The relative power of the console set a limit, in fact. That is why we started working on a stylish realistic rendering rather than on a pure photorealism treatment, with shaders and other heavy effects. The idea is to provide eye-catching scenes that are really cool and emphasize the action of the game, rather than places that highlight impressive effect, which you do not pay any attention to in the middle of the action anyway.

Burnst

If it won't be rushed I'll probably get this one. I wasn't, but things are looking more and more promising..

(O NO! Images are too big!)

WindyMan

I just want to know why every batch of "new" Red Steel screens show the same area as the demo. There is more than one level in this game, right?

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
WindyMan said:
I just want to know why every batch of "new" Red Steel screens show the same area as the demo. There is more than one level in this game, right?
Maybe the developer doesn't want to give away later stages/levels.

Raistlin

Can someone explain why the resolution is well-above 480p ... and why even with that, the game has amazing AA?

*cough* bullshit *cough*

dark10x

Onix said:
Can someone explain why the resolution is well-above 480p ... and why even with that, the game has amazing AA?

*cough* bullshit *cough*
...yet still looks ugly?

Honestly, as with last gen games, high resolution shots are NOT kind to the content within. MGS3 blown up to high resolutions loses a lot of its charm as the limitations become obvious. Same here, basically. Next-generation games are intended to be displayed in high-resolution, but not Wii titles.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Onix said:
... and why even with that, the game has amazing AA?

Zuh? There's probably 2 shots that look above GC level. There's hardly anything amazing about it.

argon

Looks fine to me, almost enough to move this up to preorder status. It could use some more diverse locales though.

SantaC

dark10x said:
...yet still looks ugly?

Honestly, as with last gen games, high resolution shots are NOT kind to the content within. MGS3 blown up to high resolutions loses a lot of its charm as the limitations become obvious. Same here, basically. Next-generation games are intended to be displayed in high-resolution, but not Wii titles.

well it does look ugly if you compare it with most PS3/Xbox 360 titles, but Wii isn't obviously a graphical monster. I think the textures does look way beyond anything on Gamecube atleast. (I guess it's the additional memory)

dark10x

SantaCruZer said:
well it does look ugly if you compare it with most PS3/Xbox 360 titles, but Wii isn't obviously a graphical monster. I think the textures does look way beyond anything on Gamecube atleast. (I guess it's the additional memory)
Really? I actually thought the textures look pretty bad (on the whole). Beyond GC level? I dunno about that. There are plenty of XBOX titles which look superior to this (in many ways) as well.

unifin

SantaCruZer said:

I'm reserving final judgement until I see it in motion, but seems a lot better than it did.

SantaC

dark10x said:
Really? I actually thought the textures look pretty bad (on the whole). Beyond GC level? I dunno about that. There are plenty of XBOX titles which look superior to this (in many ways) as well.

Well the Xbox was better than GC in terms of textures.

hey I am not saying the game looks "good", but I can see improvement since E3.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Looks better. I still hate how every enemy holds their gun the exact same way.

Don't they know that they can hold the Wiimote sides and shoot gangsta-style!!

Hm. Looks OK - leaving aside the issue of how genuine the screens are, that is.

It certainly looked better in motion at E3 than it did in screenshots at the time (I remember some particularly nice effects in the rainy alleyway with the exploding car) so I expect it to be more attractive during play, and there's still time for some more work pre-launch. Not as impressive as the first concept shots from pre-E3, but they still have time to bring the game up to that kind of level.

Some of you have become too critical when it comes to graphics. Nothing in there looks awful, some things not "next gen" and kinda crappy but nothing truly awful. And I'd like to see some Xbox games with better textures. I've seen Ninja Gaiden and sure things look nice from a distance but up close Ryu's textures are simple and the enemies...eh..

Top Bottom