• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Open letter to SquareEnix | #NoEpisodes4FFVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I'm sure you're all aware, the long-wanted remake some thought would never come finally got announced, FF VII's HD Remake was made official not long ago.  Some thought it was too good to be true, others were already having fantasies of the joy of playing through such a long-cherished game in a fully-remade skin, complete with modern graphics.

What none of us expected, however, was for the game to be split up into pieces, to be made Episodic.  It's as if Square Enix has hired a former Telltale employee, and the idea was floated in a boardroom meeting as a 'what if we did this'... and it stuck.

Don't get me wrong.  We don't know exactly what this means, as of yet.  It COULD just mean that the game is massive, requiring more than one bluray disk.  Further, it COULD just mean that once you finish the first disc, you can't backtrack to that disc once you begin disc 2.  It's POSSIBLE that the overworld, revisiting some of the more minor but delightful little offshoots, and everything that fans of the original love is planned to be in the game, for a single purchase.

Call me cynical, jaded, whatever, but I have a sneaking suspicion (as most do, judging by how fast the OG thread is moving) that this isn't the case. 

So how do we respond fellow FF VII Fans?  If it turns out to be the worst-case scenario, a butchering of the original game to split it up into 'episodes', to be sold to us as individual games, do we accept that?  Do we just turn the other cheek and say "well, at least we got this as opposed to nothing"?

Or do we say no.  Do we, as has been said so many times in so many threads, vote with our wallets.  Do we come together as a united front and demand that such a cherished and hallowed entry into gaming history, RPG history, and the FF series itself be done justice?

I vote the latter.  I vote to say @SquareEnix #NoEpisodes4FFVII.

I will not be buying this day one if it turns out to be the worst-case, episodic nightmare many of us are expecting.  I will be voting with my wallet and possibly not buying it ever, especially if key parts of the game are stripped out, such as the world map and backtracking (none of this is confirmed).

Tweet at me @KorbeKGaming and at Square @SquareEnix if you agree.  Let's make sure that the worst doesn't come to pass.

StoveOven

Banned
It never ends, does it. These next few years are gonna be so much fun. I didn't give a shit about this game when it was announced, but now I love everything about it.

Thoraxes

giphy.gif

GorillaJu

Dude, it's happening. They decided episodic is how they wanna do this thing. Before you get your panties in a twist why not wait to see what they have to show is in regards to pacing and how the narrative will be told?

Episodic isn't inherently bad. In fact it may be the only way they can get the game out in an acceptable time frame.

Mr. Desu

Square Enix doesn't care, and they never will care. As a matter of fact, the industry doesn't care. It's not about creating experiences that players enjoy anymore, it's about taking things people loved and reusing them to get the nostalgia-bucks. Do you think they're doing this for the fans, or the money? If they take episodes out or not, people are still going to buy it and they're going to make more money off of it leaving it episodic. Do you think Tim Schafer is making Pyschonauts 2 NOW, of all times, because we wanted it or because he wanted to line his pockets?

Video games aren't about you anymore. It's rare that a developer will take the time to take into consideration what the fans actually want and provide that product.

I feel bad for people who were expecting something else, but this reaction with so little info is insane

This is something they didn't want to do, didn't think was reasonable/feasible, but they've supposedly figured out a way to do it with the level of graphical fidelity and updated gameplay needed for current gen

They know the mess they got themselves into with FFXV, and fans being (rightfully) upset it's taken so long

The original title of the news thread mentioned "episodic" but it wasn't actually in the press release. This has given people ideas of the worst possible scenario for it without any real backing for it

Truly a shame to see everyone be so excited for something, but then suddenly your world has been destroyed because the scary "real" remake you've made up in your head is drastically different from the ideal remake you've made in your head. Don't let the hype die

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom