• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: A Free-to-Play MMO version of Onimusha might be in the works

MMOCulture
According to the Japanese media (below), Capcom filed a new trademark for Onimusha earlier this month under “online game”. The last Onimusha core game, Dawn of Dreams, came out in 2006, and mediocre web games have followed since. Capcom has found success with Dragon’s Dogma Online in Japan on both consoles and PC, hence a F2P Onimusha game might be seem so far-fetched after all.

HJHBOyX.png
Is this the continuation of the previous trademark file?

EGOMON

Ffs capcom this is not what we asked for ugh...
How hard is to make a sequel to Onimusha games

Abriael

Banned
That's baseless speculation born from lack how knowledge of how trademarks work.

The reason why i say that is that filing for class 9 (games) and 41 (online games) is the standard nowadays, as 41 is related to any online functionality. If you want to protect your trademark on any kind of online application, then you need class 41 as well. It doesn't in any shape or form point to a MMO, free to play or otherwise.

Other than that, the trademark is old. We already knew it was 9 and 41, like almost every game trademark, ever.

Whoever wrote that article is not only late to the party, but he's also dreadfully misinformed. He basically turned his own enormous logical jump into a non-existent "rumor."

not-like-this.gif

Isn't Capcom all about HD remakes these days? I thought ruining beloved franchises with F2P games was more EA/Square's thing.

Skrams

Well, I guess people were kind of close with guessing F2P Mobile.

I also guess something went right with Dragon's Dogma Online to warrant this?

That's baseless speculation born from lack how knowledge of how trademarks work.

The reason why i say that is that filing for class 9 (games) and 41 (online games) is the standard nowadays, as 41 is related to any online functionality. If you want to protect your trademark on any kind of online application, then you need class 41 as well. It doesn't in any shape or form point to a MMO, free to play or otherwise.

Other than that, the trademark is old. We already knew it was 9 and 41, like almost every game trademark, ever.

I guess this is non-news then.

How many pages will we go without noticing this update?

I wanna say five.

It could be massively, or not so massively multiplayer online game like GTA, Dragon's Dogma, or Monster Hunter for example.

Gotcha. An online focused Onimusha mode would be nice. Double Issen, baby.

Forkball

I'm not sure if Onimusha could survive in this gaming climate as a linear character action game. They obviously have to shake it up in some way.

Pretty sure this is not the way though.

mrmyhthef

So what I'm getting from the OP is online game trademark = f2p MMO.

Seems more like wishful thinking on the part of an MMO enthusiast site to me.

Abriael

Banned
It could be massively, or not so massively multiplayer online game like GTA, Dragon's Dogma, or Monster Hunter for example.

It could be any kind of online functionality. If you put an online leaderboard, or any kind of online service or feature, you need to file for class 41(online games).

Hell, a TON of developers and publishers file for class 41 "just in case" even when making a purely single player game.

This basically says nothing, other that Capcom still wants the "Onimusha" trademark, which we have known for over a week.

Indeed. The trademark indicates absolutely nothing like that.

It could be any kind of online functionality. If you put an online leaderboard, or any kind of online service or feature, you need to file for class 41(online games).

Hell, a TON of developers and publishers file for class 41 "just in case" even when making a purely single player game.

This basically says nothing, other that Capcom still wants the "Onimusha" trademark, which we have known for over a week.

You're probably right.

Top Bottom