• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All this talk about Cloud, Barrett, Tifa etc., but what should Jenova look like?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I think they should do a major overhaul to the creatures appearance to be on par with the eldritch abomination it's supposed to be. Imagine what can be done with the power of the PS4!

Here's a picture of the first Jenova form you face in battle: Jenova Birth

MrczsWk.jpg

I also hope in general that they do a better job explaining Jenova, it's nature, and the connection it had with the Ancients, and it's role in the SOLDIER project.

They could even make a scenario that feels like a horror game.....

pantsmith

I also hope in general that they do a better job explaining Jenova, it's nature, and the connection it had with the Ancients, and it's role in the SOLDIER project.

Explaining away what makes it creepy/interesting is the exact opposite of what they should do.

Jenova is a creature from space that the planet itself is afraid of. Thats all there is to know.

Shauni

My memory of FFVII's story is a little hazy, but what was Jenova suppose to actually be? I've totally forgotten that bit.

mattp

speaking of jenova, is there actual concept art for what those 3d models from the various jenova fights are based on?
they were always so..abstract looking, i could never tell what it was going for

Prelude

I'm more interested in how they will handle the Cetra and the fall of Jenova. I really hope they make a lot more for that part.

What's the Barret Date scene gonna look like?
This is the answer we need.

Also will Knights of the Round summon last over 50 hours just to finish again?

speaking of jenova, is there actual concept art for what those 3d models from the various jenova fights are based on?

No concept art but:

FF Wiki said:
The Sephiroth Clones were not individual people infected with Jenova's cells but pieces of Jenova floating in air hiding under cloaks in the shapes of people. Each piece was named to be either its hand, thumb, or heart; this is why Cloud refers to Jenova∙BIRTH as the "arm" of Jenova upon its defeat. There were also two more boss fights: one between Cosmo Canyon and Nibelheim, and one in the Temple of the Ancients.

It has been suggested from the material present in the Ultimania Omega that rather than there being several Black Capes, there was just one, Jenova, who was cutting off bits of its body as it journeyed towards Sephiroth until all that remains is a heart. In the original version the party would catch up with the Black Cape in the Whirlwind Maze, and the figure would remove the hood to show it has no face, and then take off the cloak to show it is nothing but Jenova's heart floating midair, the final piece, which would then transform into a monster.

My memory of FFVII's story is a little hazy, but what was Jenova suppose to actually be? I've totally forgotten that bit.

Some kind of malevolent alien entity. They never go into specifics about her origin or specific motivations, just that she wants to fuck shit up.

I think they should leave it at that. Not everything has to be explained, and the real meat of the story is Sephiroth's fucked up interpretation of his duty to his "mother."

Golnei

I don't think there's any concept art for the battle forms themselves, but the similarities with the statue in the reactor suggest that might have been what she was supposed to look like.
tumblr_n2dpjmF5ts1tvcei0o1_1280.jpg

Please make her as grotesque as possible. Really can't wait to see what they make her look like. Go nuts.

I just realized that those are shadows over her eyes and not sunglasses in this image. Guess it's been a while since I've looked.

Oooh, I cannot wait to hear a remix of "Who Are You?" By far the creepiest song in the ost.

Anyway, to answer, I'd like the actual Jenova body to basically be more or less the same. It really nailed the humanoid alien look, even while headless. The bosses should look a bit like Ebrietas, just not quite as tentacly.

Something out of Bloodborne. I think Jenova should be by far the most horroresque monster in the game.

Y55f8sQ.jpg
Pretty much nailed it. I'm also hoping for some serious atmosphere on the level of Bloodborne for the creepier parts of the game. The mood seems to be pretty on point so far.. I have a decent amount of faith that they'll pull it off pretty well.

Please make her as grotesque as possible. Really can't wait to see what they make her look like. Go nuts.

I just realized that those are shadows over her eyes and not sunglasses in this image. Guess it's been a while since I've looked.

The thing about this look, is that really isn't Jenova's "True" appearance, but merely the last form it took, and supposedly that form is in the guise of one of the Cetra.

Like I said, she's The Thing.

Top Bottom