• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Microsoft plans to make Xbox great again [The Verge]

A great feature piece written by Chris Plante of The Verge. Features Phil Spencer, Shannon Loftis, and Sam Lake. As well as some discussion on Crackdown 3, Quantum Break, ReCore, and more

Discusses where Microsoft and Xbox were in 2013, where they are now, and where they hope to go in the future.

In theory, the Xbox One was an improvement on everything fans loved about the Xbox 360: a more powerful Kinect, new hardware that merged the console with your cable box, and lots of talk about the cloud. Microsoft only forgot one thing: the games. During the hour-long kick-off presentation, six minutes were allotted to new game announcements.

Fans felt betrayed and poured their fury into forums and game blogs; critics dubbed the event a disaster.

To revive Xbox, Microsoft needs to land the next big franchise. To do that, the company must persuade game developers — with all of their talent and experience — to collaborate with them. And to do that, outside developers and potential second-party partners must believe in Microsoft.

That’s why Loftis’ first action as general manager of Microsoft Studios was so crucial: she immediately consolidated the small groups that made up the organization into a single entity, streamlining workflow.

"I see our primary role really as being the proof point," Loftis says. "We prove to gamers why it’s worth playing on the Microsoft platforms. We prove to game developers why it’s worth [making games for our platform]."

Collaborating with Microsoft Studios needed to be faster, easier, and better. The company’s future depended on it.

As televisions, computers, and smart devices become the all-in-one-devices that seek to displace consoles, does Xbox just become an app or a storefront or a brand?

"No," Spencer says, "I fully expect that you’ll see another console from us […] Our best customers are Xbox console customers, and I want to keep those people engaged both on the Xbox One and anything we might do in the future. I’m 100 percent committed to that."

"I don’t want to dilute what the Xbox console customer feels," says Spencer. "I want to expand what we’re able to do for more customers."

Much more at the link: http://www.theverge.com/2015/12/10/...16-interview-crackdown-3-quantum-break-recore

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I don't think that they can save the Xbox One at this point any more but if they go back on track with their next console I may jump in again. Loved the first years of the 360. What a time that was. MS should have never let Moore go.

Kyoufu

They can start by abolishing their parity clause policy. So many indie games just straight up skip Xbox now.

AtticuSMT

Banned
I got a Xbox one at launch and a ps4... Pretty much exclusively played the X1 because of killer instinct (I love fighting games) but this year I moved... Unpacked all my stuff March of this year and have all my consoles hooked up to my new entertainment center except my X1... Haven't even bothered to unpack it since the move. Honestly I don't follow consoles so much as I follow te games. But I feel like there hasn't been any games for X1 that have made me freak out and think "I need this right now!" But hopefully I'll stand corrected soonish.

*Comes to the thread without reading the article*

"Xbone is beyond saving at this point"

*Leaves*

I'm reading it now, Chris Plante wrote great pieces when he was at Polygon so this one should be good.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
dZV8bY9.png

Hoo-doo

Banned
To revive Xbox, Microsoft needs to land the next big franchise. To do that, the company must persuade game developers — with all of their talent and experience — to collaborate with them. And to do that, outside developers and potential second-party partners must believe in Microsoft.

I thought they were abandoning the moneyhats?

dugdug

Banned
Some interesting points, but, this stood out to me:

She has a reputation for being fierce and protective, demanding a threshold of quality and timeliness, but shielding studios from forces that threaten to impugn creativity.

Black-Tusk-Studios-Rename.jpg

Breakbeat

Banned
Phil Spencer said:
I fully expect that you’ll see another console from us.

Considering Microsoft's overall company strategy since Nadella took the reins, this seems incongruous. I have a feeling the rest of the company might not agree with Phil on this. GaaS seems like the most likely next step for Xbox.

I don't think that they can save the Xbox One at this point any more but if they go back on track with their next console I may jump in again. Loved the first years of the 360. What a time that was. MS should have never let Moore go.

I'm sorry: save the Xbox One from what exactly? It's outselling the 360 to a ridiculous degree. Just because it isn't the top selling console doesn't mean it's failing. Microsoft is laughing all the way to the bank with the Xbox One.

LewieP

I don't think the recent narrative of "Microsoft have finally turned the Xbox One around" is all that grounded in reality. It seems to credit Microsoft with an ideological shift that I've not really seen any evidence for. I think they have made some good moves recently, don't get me wrong, but they still have a great deal of work to do.

They still have their toxic parity policy.

They're still pushing microtransactions hard.

They're still missing key Xbox 360 system functionality.

They've stopped saying and doing colossally stupid things, which is a great improvement from the pre-release and launch period of the Xbox One. That alone is not enough to enter act 2 of an underdog story.

I still think that everything relating to nuTomb Raider 2, except for the quality of the game, was a total car crash for Microsoft. It's hard to guess without knowing how much they spent on it, but I can't imagine it shifted many consoles. They generated plenty of negative sentiment for their use of deliberately misleading language surrounding the exclusivity, and ultimately it will still have more players on PS4.

Halo is clearly in decline in terms of quality and sales. Fable is going in an unappealing direction for many of the series fans, and is still nowhere to be seen. Forza is ticking along fine but aside from serving Microsoft's existing userbase, at this point "Another Forza" isn't going to sell many people on an Xbox One. I guess we'll see what happens with nuGears, but on the whole I am not instilled with confidence in Microsoft's ability to manage their studios and ip.

There's plenty of ways that they can turn things around for the Xbox One. I think to an extent, it's fate is sealed, it's never going to dominate the market, but it doesn't really need to. If MS are willing to continue investing in it, and keep the momentum it does have now, it could be in a pretty good place in the coming years, but it seems clear to me that they are still today suffering from the consequences of mistakes they have made prior to launch, and they haven't yet rectified all the problems.

That's just my perspective though, no doubt others feel differently.

zsynqx

I'm sorry: save the Xbox One from what exactly? It's outselling the 360 to a ridiculous degree. Just because it isn't the top selling console doesn't mean it's failing. Microsoft is laughing all the way to the bank with the Xbox One.
Is that still true?

KORNdoggy

failure gives companies perspective. sony were in MS's place last gen and it made them really double down on exclusives, console features and PS+ and we're seeing the same thing happen with MS now. were sony are coming across as a little bit complacent, MS are really having to fight, but as consumers we win.

there's no hope of them turning things around this gen, but next gen could be a different story...as long as they don't try to push their horrible ideas of the future of gaming on us again of course. and afterall, who knows...sony might let the success go to their heads again and turn into arrogant sony effectively handing over that success anyway.

i'm just happy they're really pushing games now. because i sense that if their initial plan of attack was a success, we wouldn't be getting anywhere near as many games as we are now.

Chris1

The console is great now, it probably won't ever catch up to PS4 in sales but that's ok, just accept this gen as a loss and focus on building their exclusivity portfolio and come out next gen swinging. I think they've done a good job with exclusive games so far they just haven't had the next Gears or the next Halo yet, next year has a few strong candidates though.

dralla

They need to completely re-design the UI. It's so bad it makes me never want to turn the thing on. "Snapping" apps is so unbelievably bad. It still does the thing where it will launch a random app just so it can snap something, instead of displaying it full screen. What the f.

spectator

I love this sentence:

In theory, the Xbox One was an improvement on everything fans loved about the Xbox 360: a more powerful Kinect, new hardware that merged the console with your cable box, and lots of talk about the cloud.

When were Kinect, cable-box inter-operability and "talk about the cloud" ever things that anyone loved about the 360?

panda-zebra

*bzzzzzzztttttttttt*

These articles are fun.They bring out joy,bitterness,indifference and tons of salt.Tis the season to be jolly hohoho Oh Xbox is fine, its just not Ps4 fine... I joke

Is this real posts? Perhaps you need to check sales thread if it is.

Top Bottom