• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 14 - 20 August

heidern

If Mario averages 80K a week it'll be at 4 million with the December rush to go, so even 5 million by year end isn't totally out of the question although unlikely.

medrew

Barf_the_Mog said:
But why? Diminishing returns would argue that the cost of advertising might outweigh the benefits. The sales obviously speak for themself, but it was still a risk, don'tcha think?

No, not at all. Animal Crossing sales were dropping despite hardware sales staying firm (or increasing). Given that its attachment rate in the past has been nothing short of incredible an advertising campaign to prop it back up to its former level would be more than enough to justify any sort of expenditure.

cvxfreak said:
3. (DS, Nintendo) DS Cuisine Navigator - 55,759 / 346,719

Amazing...so possibly another non-game million seller! These new non-gamers are becoming hardcore gamers, buying every new non-game series released, yet they aren't 'traditional gamers' so does that make them 'hardcore non-gamers'?

It will be really surprising if this kind of success for cuisine training can be repeated in the West.

So what's the next new non-gaming hit series gonna be?
Garden training?
Model airplane training?:lol

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
medrew said:
No, not at all. Animal Crossing sales were dropping despite hardware sales staying firm (or increasing). Given that its attachment rate in the past has been nothing short of incredible an advertising campaign to prop it back up to its former level would be more than enough to justify any sort of expenditure.

That's the point, though. Its sales were decreasing despite the remarkable sales of the DS. I would have thought that it had hit its saturation point and newer, more exciting games were drawing the attention of new customers. The fact that Nintendo decided to start a new ad campaign is remarkable. How often do we see commercials of Halo 2 on ESPN (Edit: I mean whatever ****ing channel "A Link to the Past" has seen a Halo 2 commercial on)? What about GTA:SA?

soundwave05 said:
I'm surprised they haven't done a "Art Training" game that teaches people how to draw/paint.

Well there's bin Mario Paint but Mario only appeals to gamers. Last I heard Miyamoto said he was considering creating a non-game centered around family life. Maybe it'll turn into some kind of family-training :D.
That'll be interesting...

Barf_the_Mog said:
That's the point, though. Its sales were decreasing despite the remarkable sales of the DS. I would have thought that it had hit its saturation point and newer, more exciting games were drawing the attention of new customers. The fact that Nintendo decided to start a new ad campaign is remarkable. How often do we see commercials of Halo 2 on ESPN? What about GTA:SA?

How often have we seen Halo 2 on ESPN?

cvxfreak said:
http://eg.nttpub.co.jp/ranking.html

1. (DS, Nintendo) New Super Mario Brothers - 103,774 / 2,835,708
2. (DS, Bandai Namco) Tamagotchi no Puchi Puchi Omisetchi Gohiikini - 65,554 / 400,429
3. (DS, Nintendo) DS Cuisine Navigator - 55,759 / 346,719
4. (DS, Nintendo) More Brain Training - 45,978 / 3,031,411
5. (DS, Nintendo) Animal Crossing Wild World - 41,813 / 3,119,108
7. (GBA, Nintendo) Rhythm Tengoku - 29,911 / 88,089
8. (DS, Nintendo) Tetris DS - 26,791 / 781,110
10. (DS, Nintendo) Brain Training - 25,139 / 2,713,284

Tetris & BT1 back again!?
HOLY ****ING CRAP!!!

medrew

Barf_the_Mog said:
That's the point, though. Its sales were decreasing despite the remarkable sales of the DS. I would have thought that it had hit its saturation point and newer, more exciting games were drawing the attention of new customers. The fact that Nintendo decided to start a new ad campaign is remarkable. How often do we see commercials of Halo 2 on ESPN? What about GTA:SA?

The difference being that Xbox sales stagnated after Halo 2; they weren't hitting their straps so to speak. That game also caters to a certain demographic who will buy the game regardless and are more educated towards games. They don't really need to be told, or made aware, of what to buy.

Lapsed

Banned
mutsu said:
Q for anyone who lives in Japan:

I don't live in Japan, but I will take a wild chance at answering! :)

Is the advertising for NSMB really HUGE? I mean, having played the game myself, I really wouldn't HIGHLY recommend it to anyone around me. Yeah it's a long time since the last 2D Mario platformer, and yeah I enjoyed the game, but still it's not 3-million seller material in my eyes. Looks at those sales numbers, it seems that every person picking up the DS Lite is picking up NSMB also. Why the rage?

Lapsed gamers. Nintendo has stated their mission with the DS, as well as with Wii, is to appeal to non-gamers and lapsed gamers. They want those who got bored with gaming to come back. I haven't bought a system since the SNES but I did buy a DS mainly for New Super Mario Brothers (which is why I think Nintendo ought to make a 2d Mario for the Wii). And there is data saying that Japan has been declining in the number of gamers for the past ten years. I don't believe the "DS Revolution" in Japan is entirely due to non-gamers. Lapsed gamers certainly play a part.

New Super Mario Brothers is also being bought by girls and even older people (who got a DS for Nintendogs and Brain Training) so that could be a reason for its high numbers too.

A month or two ago, I raised the possibility that what if Final Fantasy III outsold Final Fantasy XII? My reasoning on it is that the Final Fantasy franchise isn't what it used to be. Aside from getting the usual FF fans, FFIII could pick up the lapsed gamers who prefer the old school type style (gameplay) as well. Future sales charts will show if my 'crazy theory' is crazy or not. If FFIII sells extremely well, we can't say it is the non-gamers. We'll have to admit the DS is attracting pockets of lapsed gamers out there too.

mutsu said:
Q for anyone who lives in Japan:

Is the advertising for NSMB really HUGE? I mean, having played the game myself, I really wouldn't HIGHLY recommend it to anyone around me. Yeah it's a long time since the last 2D Mario platformer, and yeah I enjoyed the game, but still it's not 3-million seller material in my eyes. Looks at those sales numbers, it seems that every person picking up the DS Lite is picking up NSMB also. Why the rage?

its because majority of Japanese gamers, just like Nintendo itself, has the gaming soul. And its the reverse here in Asia, we're gamers will not recommend, killing games like Grand Theft Auto and Bully. Gamers here love Life, whereas ....

Updated, but I still need this weeks HW sales to add:
223459879_db38067337_o.jpg

Woh, it's huge!

I feel like NSMB is like the perfect game to buy with a new DSLite from what I have played. Its just mindless fun, and that's a good thing.

Lapsed

Banned
mutsu said:
Hence your username.

I admit I'm biased for my viewpoint. I chose my username because GAF keeps dividing everyone into GAMERS (like Gaffers) and NON-GAMERS. But there is a third group of lapsed gamers who have their own oddball interests. They LOVE 2d Mario but hate 3d Mario. They LOVE old school Final Fantasy but do not want to play the newer Final Fantasies. They aren't hardcore gamers and aren't casual gamers either. They are simply bored gamers.

From what I can piece of the timeline...

1) The number of gamers in Japan keeps declining to very noticable levels. Data suggests that this trend was beginning to spread to North America.

2) Nintendo studies this and goes, "OH F$%#!" since if the video game industry is in trouble, Nintendo would be in trouble too (but Sony and Microsoft would not be as sensitive to this as their companies aren't fully intertwined with video games).

3) Iwata comes up with the mission statement as: "Create as many new gamers as possible." Nintendo plans its next handheld and console to correct this trend. (Reggie kept talking about this "decline" in meetings in his explanations as to the direction Nintendo took. At D.I.C.E. 2006 he said: "The Japanese game industry has been in a steady state of decline since 1997, but last year the market grew, driven by handheld sales.")

Out of the three big markets, Japan has the largest number of lapsed gamers. So its pretty reasonable that attracting them back would be high priority to Nintendo. A new 2D Mario game is just the ticket (which is why I think DS sales shot up in NA after New Super Mario Brothers release. Look at how many copies NSMB is sold in NA! If NSMB is bringing in hordes of lapsed gamers in NA, why not in Japan where there is a bigger pool of lapsed gamers to draw from?)

Lapsed said:
I admit I'm biased for my viewpoint. I chose my username because GAF keeps dividing everyone into GAMERS (like Gaffers) and NON-GAMERS. But there is a third group of lapsed gamers who have their own oddball interests. They LOVE 2d Mario but hate 3d Mario. They LOVE old school Final Fantasy but do not want to play the newer Final Fantasies. They aren't hardcore gamers and aren't casual gamers either. They are simply bored gamers.

I fall in this category. Every so often something comes out that's refreshing and harkens back to good years of gaming, but there is still a ton of crap out there.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Go Go Mario!!

And awesome to see AC still going strong and Tetris both getting a second wind.

By the way, what's the LTD of NSMB WW?

Deku

Banned
Lapsed said:

Well, I think its more of a put down than a misunderstanding of the market. The background/history where the term 'non-games/non-gamer' was born as well as the division of gamers into these classes was around 2005 when the DS was showing signs of success but a lot of people were skeptical of how far that would go. So when the DS had a good week or games sold well, the argument was that it was an outside factor causing this, mainly 'non-gamers' and the 'core' gamers would support the PSP.

That's largely been proven false and I don't think its taken seriously anymore. That said, you mentioned in another thread you are also against the categorization of gamers as just 'casual' vs 'hardcore'. That I think has a lot more merit in terms of GAF misunderstanding of just how complex the demographics is in gaming to be divided so simply into two categories. I'm certainly guilty of doing this in the past as well.

Joe Molotov

future_pinoy said:
its because majority of Japanese gamers, just like Nintendo itself, has the gaming soul. And its the reverse here in Asia, we're gamers will not recommend, killing games like Grand Theft Auto and Bully. Gamers here love Life, whereas ....

In Final Fantasy VII, you play as terrorists and kill a whole bunch of guards on your way to try to assassinate the president. :(

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Joe Molotov said:
In Final Fantasy VII, you play as terrorists and kill a whole bunch of guards on your way to try to assassinate the president. :(
not just guards. You kill hundreds of civilians by blowing up a power plant.

Rocked

Barf_the_Mog said:
But why? Diminishing returns would argue that the cost of advertising might outweigh the benefits. The sales obviously speak for themself, but it was still a risk, don'tcha think?

They actually did the same thing here in the UK - started re-running the advert again. And now it's back in the top 10.

They should reduce the price and do the same with Tetris... it should've done better outside Japan.

Ikael

Another "almost lapsed gamer" here!. I noticed that as I aged, I played each time less. I also started to became uninterested about the industry until I heard about the DS (I mean, in the very early stages of the DS, back when it was the "project nitro"). I think that we're a not too much of a minoritary group of gamers and that Nintendo has sucessfully hitted our soft spot and that things like the sales of NSMB prooves it.

Thing is, as a lapsed gamer I am quite interested in the "past" and "classic" age of videogaming, specially genres that some stupid executives decided to kill before they were completely exploited and developed (like 2D gaming in general) and in the future evolution of games (Wii, Eyetoy, Spore, you name it). I am just extremely uninterested and bored with present gaming and the ridiculous notion that somehow better physics or AI are gonna make the whole videogaming advance and atract new gamers. I just coulnd't care less about the ton of WWII FPSs, the next third person slash ' n hack or the avalanch of ffVII wannabees that have became the paradygm of "good" and "real" gaming nowadays.

ioi

Banned
cvxfreak said:
Well, it was last week on Dengeki's charts.

Or 3-4 weeks ago in 'reality' :D

Chart comments this week (http://www.vgcharts.org/japweekly.php?date=38949)

New SMB narrowly (although maybe not when Famitsu comes in) misses out on having the biggest week 13 ever to Dragon Quest Monsters (which was seeing a boost around the holiday period). Consolation, though, comes with the news that it edges past 3m, and the fact that is sets a record for the most consecutive weeks over 100k at 13. With the release of FF III next week, that record could stretch to 15-16.

http://www.vgcharts.org/japwk.php?week=13

New SMB has also spent 9 out of the 13 weeks at number 1. Not sure what the most weeks at number 1 for a game is, likely to be Pokemon R/B/G, but I'd guess that it's not far off.

Animal Crossing sees a nice boost with a new TV campaign, sales are now closing fast on DQ VIII and FF VIII:

http://www.vgcharts.org/japcomp.php?name1=Animal+Crossing%3A+Wild+World&name2=Final+Fantasy+VIII
http://www.vgcharts.org/japcomp.php?name1=Animal+Crossing%3A+Wild+World&name2=Dragon+Quest+VIII

Tamogotchi is doing better than it's predecessor at the same number of weeks, with a longer run up to christmas, some big software releases between now and then and some good legs, 1m+ should be very comfortable.

http://www.vgcharts.org/japcomp.php?name1=Tamogotchi+Connection%3A+Corner+Shop+2&name2=Tamogotchi+Connection%3A+Corner+Shop%21

Mario Kart DS, Tetris DS, English Training continue to put in some fantastic numbers, and should show legs for a while to come.

This all seems very DS-focussed but to be honest if we were to take DS out of the equation, sales for 2006 would be absolutely dire. PS2 manages only around 200k software for the week in total, with Pro Baseball 13, Valkyrie Profile 2, Kamiatchi 3 all performing very poorly. Only Winning Eleven 10 has really put in any strong numbers, and that is mainly down to the World Cup, but it is being caught up again by Tetris DS now that the World Cup is over:

http://www.vgcharts.org/japcomp.php?name1=Tetris+DS&name2=World+Soccer+Winning+Eleven+10

The top games of 2006 is already looking streets ahead of the 2005 chart (mainly due to DS), and it's likely that Final Fantasy XII may be the first in the series for a long time to not even make the top 5 for the year, if Animal Crossing and Brain Training sales continue, and with the release of Pokemon.

http://www.vgcharts.org/japyearly.php

Prediction league will be starting next week so stay tuned!

Joe Molotov said:

Not terrorists, freedom fighters. You're the good guys because it says you are. Or does it...

GaimeGuy said:
not just guards. You kill hundreds of civilians by blowing up a power plant.

Wasn't the power plant sucking the life out of the planet itself?

Anyway, a lot of videogames show violence as the solution to just about any problem. Because it's hard to work out your problems through conversation using a d-pad. Also, using the legal system to solve them would make a real snooze-fest of a game.

(Cue 'Objection!')

Just out of curiousity how many units of NSMB does Nintendo ship out each week. Over 100k a week sold is just.... damn. But to continually produce enough to have them readily available on shelves, I suppose they just arent worried about saturating store shelves with it at this point.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
if NSMB ends up just being a scaled up version of the long-term sales pattern for titles like BT or ACWW then I wouldn't like to guess how many units it will end up shifting within the next 12 months. Seems like it will be the most successful Mario game since the NES era though

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Oblivion said:
Go Go Mario!!

And awesome to see AC still going strong and Tetris both getting a second wind.

By the way, what's the LTD of NSMB WW?
I think its well over 5m now.

Japan at 2.9m
NA at 1.5m (1.05m by the end of July in US alone, add August sales for it and also its sales in Canada)
Other (Europe, Australia, Asia, ...) at +1.1m
for a grand total of +5.5m copies worldwide by now.

Lee N

Membre
cvxfreak said:
1. (DS, Nintendo) New Super Mario Brothers - 103,774 / 2,835,708
I maintain my opinion that New Super Mario Bros might just be the first DS title to break 4 million sold copies in Japan alone. It's a close call between NSMB, Brain Training 2 and Animal Crossing though.. but New Super Mario Bros is also the newest game, and it's topping the charts.

Mumei

I maintain my opinion that New Super Mario Bros might just be the first DS title to break 4 million sold copies in Japan alone. It's a close call between NSMB, Brain Training 2 and Animal Crossing though.. but New Super Mario Bros is also the newest game, and it's topping the charts.

... I could see Pokemon Diamond / Pearl hitting it second, myself.

Square2005 said:
These new non-gamers are becoming hardcore gamers, buying every new non-game series released, yet they aren't 'traditional gamers' so does that make them 'hardcore non-gamers'?
Wow, this thought blew my mind.

Meier

Barf_the_Mog said:
How often do we see commercials of Halo 2 on ESPN (Edit: I mean whatever ****ing channel "A Link to the Past" has seen a Halo 2 commercial on)? What about GTA:SA?

GTA SA was advertised *heavily* for a year or two after its release. It never stopped basically for the PS2 version, and then once the Xbox version came out, it ramped up again. I dont think a game has ever seen as big an advertising campaign in the US as San Andreas.

jarrod

Banned
Meier said:
GTA SA was advertised *heavily* for a year or two after its release. It never stopped basically for the PS2 version, and then once the Xbox version came out, it ramped up again. I dont think a game has ever seen as big an advertising campaign in the US as San Andreas.
Jak and Daxter also had a "neverending" 2+ year push.

ioi

Banned
Eddz said:
mario_200806.png

Mario platformers
NES titles not included due to non-accurate sales figures.

NES Figures are accurate, the sales are:

NES Super Mario Bros- 6.81m
GB Super Mario Land- 4.19m
NES Super Mario Bros 3- 3.84m
SNES Super Mario World- 3.55m
DS New Super Mario Bros- 3.00m
GB Super Mario Land 2- 2.70m
NES Super Mario Bros 2- 2.65m
SNES Super Mario Allstars- 2.12m
N64 Super Mario 64- 1.92m
SNES Yoshi's Island- 1.77m
GB Super Mario Land 3- 1.59m
GBA Famicom Mini: Super Mario Bros- 1.33m
DS Super Mario 64 DS- 0.99m
GBA Super Mario Advance 2- 0.92m
GBA Super Mario Advance- 0.90m
GC Super Mario Sunshine- 0.87m
GBA Super Mario Advance 4- 0.79m
GBA Super Mario Advance 3- 0.57m
GB Super Mario Bros DX- 0.20m

Already the 5th most popular Mario game ever in Japan!

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
I think NSMB is set to be the 2nd most successful Mario game of all time in Japan. Only time will tell how close it can get to SMB

ioi

Banned
MrSardonic said:
I think NSMB is set to be the 2nd most successful Mario game of all time in Japan. Only time will tell how close it can get to SMB

I think 5m is almost a dead cert now.

I continue to laugh at all the people who thought it wouldn't do over 1.5m or those who saw it drop from 900k to 300k week 2 and proclaimed the game a bomb!!

:lol

So, right now, the top 3 franchises are:

1.Dragon Quest
2.Animal Crossing
3.Mario (yeah, FF beaten ^^)

And both Mario and AC have the potential to beat DQ8...awsome.
Finally, Japan escapes the RPG-mania (well, until Pokémon :lol ).

Top Bottom