• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SpaceX ORBCOMM OG2 mission: Return to Flight & First On-Land Landing

Status
Not open for further replies.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Maybe a mod could add something like "Space Return To Flight + First Landing on the ground!" to get people in here.

It occurs in 3am here, and I've got a calculus exam at 8:30am tomorrow, but as an aerospace engineering major I'm mentally and morally obligated to wake up for it. Let's just hope I can relax afterwards and get back to sleep.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
To see this thing launch successfully and then land on their first flight back would be monumental.

jotun?

Launch + landing trajectory infographic
D9BdO86.png

blu

Landing complex 1.. Man, we're standing at the threshold of a new era, aren't we?

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I know nothing about this, and I'm not sure I understand what it's about or why it's important.

Can anyone explain this to me like I'm 5?

KHarvey16

I know nothing about this, and I'm not sure I understand what it's about or why it's important.

Today, rockets shoot something into space and then crash back to the earth and can't be re-used. SpaceX is making a rocket that brings something into space and then lands softly afterwards, allowing much of it to be reused. This brings the cost of putting things into space down a lot.

blu

It's about putting things in orbit, and not throwing out the vehicle after each trip. It's about rocket (partial) reusability. Since rockets are currently the cheapest way to put things in orbit, making those vehicles largely (i.e. 1st stage and its engine) reusable would be a serious breakthrough in space accessibility. The space shuttle was originally planned to do that, but it never reached that point (i.e. to be cheaper than rockets).

cameron

The last commercial launch for SpaceX failed. This is a "return to flight" launch after a six-month hiatus from spaceflight. Dan27 posted some detailed info in the other thread:
Evening all. Just a bumpage for our next attempt.

Return To Flight is set for tomorrow! Orbcomm OG2 is due to launch from Cape Canaveral on an instantaneous launch window tomorrow at 20:29 EST.

There are a number of firsts that SpaceX aim to achieve this time.

- It's the first launch since July's loss of CRS-7
- It's the first launch of the Falcon 1.2 (aka Falcon Full Thrust)
- It's the first first stage landing attempt at night
- It's the first first stage landing attempt on land
- It's the first first stage landing attempt at Cape Canaveral Landing Complex 1

What is Falcon 9 1.2?

It's a redesigned first and second stage version of Falcon 9. The rocket propellant tanks have been redesigned and have added 1.2m of height to the vehicle. "Why?" you may ask? Well, our brainy friends are going to supercool the daylights out of the fuel. The Liquid Oxygen (LOX) will be supercooled to -340f (-206.7c, 66.5k), the Rocket Propellent (RP-1) will be cooled to 20c. The net result is that they can put more fuel into the newly designed tanks, resulting in a 30% increase of thrust. This means that boost-back (and reusability in general) can be used in a wider range of missions. The Falcon 9 1.2 will also have a new second stage engine called the Merlin Vacuum 1D that will improve performance and improved attitude control.

Crispy75

Spaceships are made of three bits
  1. The spacecraft, which is the important bit that you want to put into space
  2. The second stage, which does most of the work getting the spacecraft up to orbital speed and
  3. The first stage, which does most of the work getting the second stage and the spacecraft up out of the atmosphere.

Traditionally, the first and second stages fall back to earth and sink to the bottom of the ocean, so you have to build new ones every time.
What SpaceX are rying to do is return the first stage back where it came from, landing on its engines.
Then they can check it over, refuel it and fly it again. Nobody has every done this. Nobody else has ever tried.

If it works, it will make getting into space much cheaper.

Par Score

Maybe a mod could add something like "Space Return To Flight + First Landing on the ground!" to get people in here.

It occurs in 3am here, and I've got a calculus exam at 8:30am tomorrow, but as an aerospace engineering major I'm mentally and morally obligated to wake up for it. Let's just hope I can relax afterwards and get back to sleep.

Yeah, this is a pretty garbage title for such an important event.

E-Cat

We need to back up our species' hard drive by colonizing Mars. But we can't send a million people there cost-effectively without having the rocket back--instead of, you know, it blowing up.

Blizzard

Banned
How long is the flight supposed to take until the landing attempt? Maybe I missed it, but I didn't find it on the site / OP / infographic thus far.

cameron

December 20, 2015 (4:00 pm ET)
We have an update regarding tonight’s target launch for ORBCOMM’s OG2 Mission 2. Upon further review of the static fire data, SpaceX has determined that an additional day prior to launch will allow for more analysis and time to further chill the liquid oxygen in preparation for launch. Please note that we will now be targeting launch for tomorrow, Monday, December 21 at 8:34 pm ET.
http://blog.orbcomm.com/orbcomm-og2-mission-2-launch-update/

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Just wanted to thank you guys for explaining things to me. Now I get it. Hope it makes it in one piece!

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Fortunately a friend texted me about the delay around midnight while I was in bed and I could turn off the alarm. Tomorrow is an all-night SpaceX party!

I'm not kidding when I say I think this is the most exciting launch that happened in my lifetime (launch-wise, disregarding the payload's importance).

dabig2

Fortunately a friend texted me about the delay around midnight while I was in bed and I could turn off the alarm. Tomorrow is an all-night SpaceX party!

I'm not kidding when I say I think this is the most exciting launch that happened in my lifetime (launch-wise, disregarding the payload's importance).

If you're under the age of 40, it's easily the most exciting and most momentous launch in your lifetime. Like, whatever is the reverse of "spinning in your grave" is right now happening to Wernher Von Braun and the many others who helped bring us to this time.

Crossing fingers and knocking on wood tomorrow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom