• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Local Multiplayer confirmed for Pokkén Tournament

Oh, I was kinda just taking it for granted. Didn't know it wasn't "official." No local multi would have been a total deal-breaker for sure, as it would be for any fighting game.

JoeM86

Oh, I was kinda just taking it for granted. Didn't know it wasn't "official." No local multi would have been a total deal-breaker for sure, as it would be for any fighting game.

It was a tricky thing due to how the game is. Would it have been splitscreen or not? etc., which caused some to think it'd be online only.

JoeM86

The different perspective on the Wii U pad is a great idea, I was hoping they'd do that.

As was I. Splitscreen while functional just wouldn't look right with this game, especially considering how it changes perspectives from 3D to 2D. People forget this isn't a 2D fighter

JoeM86

i don't really see why they really need gamepad to be used during local multi...

This is how the game plays. This is each player's perspective in the arcades

11.jpg

It's not a 2D fighter. Splitscreen would also not be that viable

This is how the game plays. This is each player's perspective in the arcades

It's not a 2D fighter. Splitscreen would also not be that viable

3d mode isn't really a problem when there's bunch other 3d fighting game that works well on single screen. then again, i guess since it's pretty much almost a straight port from arcade, reworking that part probably will took them more time thus they decided it's not worth to do so hah

Renkax

I feel like having one player on the game pad is kinda lame.. Since the game goes from 3d to 2d fighting plane. Couch co-op should be locked into a 2d perspective :x

The screen looks like that for both players. one player is smaller on the screen, no biggie!

Never played, but looked up a vid on Youtube. How does it track 3D movement for each player? The camera seems to be dynamic and move to fit both players in the frame, so it looks potentially confusing to keep track of direction. Especially considering how precise and important directional input is in fighting games.

Eg, say the camera is behind my opponent's back and I'm facing him, like a 2D Pokemon duel and I'm the enemy. I'll intuitively assume that if my opponent press the analog stick right, he'll move right, but what about me? Will I move right or left? If I press forward, will I move towards my opponent or away? If the camera changes angles mid-movement, do I have to move the stick to adjust to the new direction?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
it's a fighting game

Yeah but a different one. The arcades only feature a single operator and the HUD is all for the player.

ever see the naruto fighters?
Yeah came in here to say this. The naruto games have a similar camera and are able to do local multiplayer just fine on a single screen.

You guys haven't seen how the game displays the fights right?

Naruto games the perspective doesn't matter. Here they are. It is much, MUCH more beneficial for the player to keep their pov on their view point.

You should have said Jump All Stars Vs. or Gundam Vs. because this game fits more to those two, and good lord their local multiplayer split screens are terrible.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Never played, but looked up a vid on Youtube. How does it track 3D movement for each player? The camera seems to be dynamic and move to fit both players in the frame, so it looks potentially confusing to keep track of direction. Especially considering how precise and important directional input is in fighting games.

Eg, say the camera is behind my opponent's back and I'm facing him, like a 2D Pokemon duel and I'm the enemy. I'll intuitively assume that if my opponent press the analog stick right, he'll move right, but what about me? Will I move right or left? If I press forward, will I move towards my opponent or away? If the camera changes angles mid-movement, do I have to move the stick to adjust to the new direction?
left is left and right is right regardless of which way youre facing afaik, i dont play naruto

Piers

ctrl + f: Naruto

Ultimate Ninja Storm games have managed it okay, and given Pokken shifts into a 2D perspective at times, there's even less reason to segregate local onto the Game Pad.

3DShovel

As long as the game pad serves only as a screen, and the player whose perspective is displayed on it can use a different controller, I don't see the problem.

oneida

Yeah but a different one. The arcades only feature a single operator and the HUD is all for the player.

Naruto games the perspective doesn't matter. Here they are. It is much, MUCH more beneficial for the player to keep their pov on their view point.

You should have said Jump All Stars Vs. or Gundam Vs. because this game fits more to those two, and good lord their local multiplayer split screens are terrible.
i have seen it and from what i can tell its nothing like gundam exfb and much more like naruto. mind elaborating for me?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
ctrl + f: Naruto

Ultimate Ninja Storm games have managed it okay, and given Pokken shifts into a 2D perspective at times, there's even less reason to segregate local onto the Game Pad.

Like I said, using Naruto as the only reference is bad for this game lol

Again, use the more apt Jump Vs. or Gundam Vs. for reference. Those use split screen as the whole game is personailzed to the player. Camera positioning is important especially when far away and to make transitions easier (even when you go in 2D mode the camera is still different).

i have seen it and from what i can tell its nothing like gundam exfb and much more like naruto. mind elaborating for me?

I only used Gundam for reference on how camera behaves. It also plays differently than Naruto (which is a mess, the 2D games were better, but that's another topic altogether).

The game not only has a bit more dynamic angle, it favors the player and the UI is a bit more personalized. In the arcades the players are given their own perspective. And then there's the 2D transition thing.

What makes the camera anymore essential in this game than Naruto? Genuinly curious.

oneida

Like I said, using Naruto as the only reference is bad for this game lol

Again, use the more apt Jump Vs. or Gundam Vs. for reference. Those use split screen as the whole game is personailzed to the player. Camera positioning is important especially when far away and to make transitions easier (even when you go in 2D mode the camera is still different).
the camera is locked on both players in pokken and naruto and not in EXFB, that is a true arena fighter. basically a different genre.

Top Bottom