• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars boycott may have cost film $4.2 million according to boycotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forkball

dr-evil-one-million-dollars.jpg

RIP Episode VIII

As you may have heard, Star Wars: The Force Awakens has taken in more than a billion dollars worldwide, so far. $1.09 billion, to be exact.

But the folks over on Return of Kings still think that their “boycott” of the film was a HUGE SUCCESS. How’s that, you ask?

Well, as RoK contributor David Garrett figures it, if Return of Kings hadn’t warned the men of the world that The Force Awakens is “SJW propaganda,” the film might have taken in roughly $4.2 million more than it did.

That’s right: it could have made $1,094,200,000 instead of the paltry $1,090,000,000 it’s taken in so far.

IN YOUR FACE, SJWs!

So how exactly does Garrett arrive at that $4.2 million figure? WITH SCIENCE.

"Fifty-five percent of respondents to a Return of Kings Twitter poll have said that online reporting of the social justice nature of The Force Awakens influenced their decision whether to see the film. Extended across our readership, with over 900,000 users accessing ROK between November 21 and December 21, this amounts to a potential direct impact of $4,219,456.54 (55% x $8.38 x 915,482) on total revenues. $8.38 is based on the average cinema ticket price in the US, which is now an all-time high."

Well, you can’t argue with that!

And that $4,219,456.54 figure doesn’t even take into account the other right-wing media outlets that warned their readers about the evil SJW agenda behind The Force Awakens. Add that in, Garrett suggests, and the total cost of the right-wing “boycott” is in the “tens of millions of dollars.”

Here is the article from the RoK website triumphantly declaring their success if you want more detailed info on how this totally worked.

The boycott was such a joke in the media and I doubt most of them actually follow through. In fact, I bet it's a lot lower than that.

Please tell me they have an argument for TFA being "SJW propaganda" other than the fact that they cast a black man and a woman as the leads?

...Because I want to read how it tries to twist and justify their obvious sexism and racism.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
so these are people who are literally angry because the main character of the new Star Wars is a woman?

I'm guessing the boycott probably ended up like this anyways:
18j48weujcgewjpg.jpg

stop posting that image, it doesn't mean anything

I don't see how you can justify being so damn salty over something so simple as a female protagonist in a major motion picture. I literally can't fathom how someone like that makes it through day to day life.

Between Mad Max & now Star Wars, a film being boycotted as being 'SJW Propaganda' seems to be the fasttrack to commercial & critical success. I'll keep an ear to the ground near these assholes, the seem to have the polar opposite of great taste.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Please tell me they have an argument for TFA being "SJW propaganda" other than the fact that they cast a black man and a woman as the leads?

Looking at their comments section, there's some shit about "the Jews" too.

So yeah, big shocker, Return of Kings and its readerbase are disgusting.

jackal27

Banned
Disney is shaking in their boots.

Oh well. It was these guys' loss. Even though I'm sure most of them will watch it anyway.

Vice

John Boyega and Daisy Ridley may as well apply to work at Starbucks now. No way Disney will keep them around when they could be making tens of dollars more with a non-SJW film.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
so these are people who are literally angry because the main character of the new Star Wars is a woman?
It's astounding how afraid some nerds are of the opposite gender.
"Evil SJW agenda"
I mean really, creating a role model for minorities is supposed to be "evil." I really wish I could meet one of these people irl just so I could laugh at their face as they trip over themselves trying to justify their stupidity.

I don't see how you can justify being so damn salty over something so simple as a female protagonist in a major motion picture. I literally can't fathom how someone like that makes it through day to day life.
By not showering and complaining about a non-existent boogeyman in-between their wank sessions most likely. Not like they were gonna leave their houses in the first place. They're doing everyone else a favor. :D

Moff

...Because I want to read how it tries to twist and justify their obvious sexism and racism.

they don't, they are not MRA, they literally want women in chains. no education for them, complete control over their lives. female heroes are unnatural and wrong. they did they same with fury road.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
It's astounding how afraid some nerds are of the opposite gender.
"Evil SJW agenda"
I mean really, creating a role model for minorities is supposed to be "evil." I really wish I could meet one of these people irl just so I could laugh at their face as they trip over themselves trying to justify their stupidity.

I've personally heard/overheard a lot more complaining about a black guy using a lightsaber, possibly because Rey haters don't go outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom