• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star citizen refocusing on VR in early 2016

Krejlooc

Banned
FUCKIN FINALLY

http://www.roadtovr.com/star-citizen-to-refocus-on-vr-support-in-early-2016/

The status of VR integration is that we’ve been pretty busy with getting [Alpha] 2.0 [out] and we’re trying to get 2.1 so I would say we still have some stuff to integrate from the most recent CryEngine drops. They’ve been actually doing quite a lot of VR, I’m pretty sure you guys have noticed that they’ve completely doubled down and they’re all VR now.

So there are some updates on VR that we need to integrate in. It’s a little more complicated because we’ve changed the engine so much, we’ve changed the rendering pipeline to enable us to do a lot of things that we need to do so it’s not very easy. Nowadays we’ve diverged from CryEngine where we don’t take regular updates from them any more although we will cherry pick certain features that maybe we’re not working on that we think would help out well and VR is a good example of that.

So it’s really just a matter of getting some engineering time in the Frankfurt team. The Frankfurt team… [includes many of] the guys that originally did the VR work at Crytek so they know it pretty well but I would be expecting it to get up to speed with the most recent [VR] stuff sometime early next year.

Game of forever

I think CR answered this on the livestream recently, and that is where the quote is from (edit: indeed it is!). It will take some time to make this feel right I imagine as the game is currently very animation heavy when you move in and around outside of the ship, but in the ships itself it should be pretty darn simple to get a good feeling in a rather straightforward manner. Perhaps there will be an alternate control scheme or way the camera functions when in VR mode. Since the game does simulate where the eyes are the perspectives should be great, but I have no idea how the "best usage" guidelines are for first person movement in games. Do you know Krejlooc?

But what kind of PC would one need to draw star citizen at the stable framerates to do this? Does it even exist currently? Probably not.

artsi

Good news, Star Citizen and Rift are two things I'm very excited for in 2016.

I think CR answered this on the livestream recently, and that is where the quote is from. It will take some time to make this feel right I imagine as the game is currently very animation heavy when you move in and around outside of the ship, but in the ships itself it should be pretty darn simple to get a good feeling in a rather straightforward manner.

Would anything stop them from disabling head bob and other animations when VR is enabled? I don't see why not?

epmode

That's great to hear. I wonder how they'll handle VR when some of their design decisions that seem to go against basic VR design principles. Like, they have a whole bunch of unskippable first person animations that are certain to get you sick.

elyetis

FUCKIN FINALLY
I'll trust it when I see it, we heard about "VR between x and y version" for maybe a year and a half now.

Still good news, the sooner the better, not because I want to play in the alpha in VR per see ( I doubt the performance would allow me to ), but because I fear what would ( or will ) be the result of so many design choices made without VR.

Would anything stop them from disabling head bob and other animations when VR is enabled? I don't see why not?

Well the head bob isn't really able to be disabled in the traditional sense as I understand it, rather it is just what happens since the the camera is moving with the head. And the camera is attached to the third person rig (the game just uses one rig for everything). So to change the camera would mean changing the animation?

They already dampen that though using some sort of technique to simulate eye stabilisation (your head moves up and down in real life when walking as well, but the explanation is that your eyes tend and brain tend to stabilise that by fixating points or something). This means the camera bobs as your eyes do while your head is bobbing, thus counter acting it to a degree. How that works in VR? No idea since I have no idea how VR is used when a character moves and has a believable animation set!

Would your eyes help you out through the oscilations if they take on those of a natural gait?

There's also a third person camera too which isn't a be all end all solution, but it would eliminate any animation problems. Hopefully they get it right in first person though so you don't have to switch back and forth.

Durante

That's great to hear. I wonder how they'll handle VR when some of their design decisions that seem to go against basic VR design principles. Like, they have a whole bunch of unskippable first person animations that are certain to get you sick.
They'll simply need to kill all that in VR.

artsi

Well the head bob isn't really able to be disabled in the traditional sense as I understand it, rather it is just what happens since the the camera is moving with the head. And the camera is attached to the third person rig (the game just uses one rig for everything). So to change the camera would mean changing the animation?

They already dampen that though using some sort of technique to simulate eye stabilisation (your head moves up and down in real life when walking as well, but the explanation is that your eyes tend and brain tend to stabilise that by fixating points or something). This means the camera bobs as your eyes do while your head is bobbing, thus counter acting it to a degree. How that works in VR? No idea since I have no idea how VR is used when a character moves and has a believable animation set!

Would your eyes help you out through the oscilations if they take on those of a natural gait?

Yeah it can be tricky, but Arma 3 uses a same kind of system for animations (your body is there in 1st person too) and in it you can disable head bob, so maybe it's not impossible. They must already have some kind of working proof of concept to announce this.

Xone9

Banned
I recently pledged (to beat the Valentines Day deadline for the FPS addon) and I fully pledged my money knowing or at least hoping VR would be a priority. Good to see this happening.

~Cross~

I recently pledged (to beat the Valentines Day deadline for the FPS addon) and I fully pledged my money knowing or at least hoping VR would be a priority. Good to see this happening.

There hasn't really been a lot of talk about VR anymore in the last month and I doubt a lot of work is going into SC proper right now. So I wouldn't really bet on VR being properly done in SC till SQ42 comes out, and we know that SQ42 isn't going to ship out with VR capabilities.

tuxfool

Banned
I remember reading this before it was even 2016.

Difficult, because those long ass animations are probably there to hide some form of loading or server queues.

I'll go ahead and say no. The FPS animations are just that, animations.

e:eek:ops, junior bump.

Top Bottom