• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brooke Burgess Audio Interview (incl. Broken Saints on Wii hints)

jesusraz

FINAL UPDATE: Full transcript can be found here: http://www.cubed3.com/news/5826

----------------------

Brooke Burgess interviewed on Cubed³ by James Temperton with questions supplied by yours truly. Part One is up here: http://www.cubed3.com/news/5813/

It's an audio download and Part Two will be up tomorrow. This first part talks about the recently released DVD set of Broken Saints and the game version, basically saying it's coming to Wii and discusses Nintendo and the Wii in general.

-------------------

EDIT: Update...

Part two of the audio interview with Brooke Burgess: http://www.cubed3.com/news/5820

A few snippets from the transcript are here:

First up, we asked Brooke about the possibility of the game being in development on the Wii. His answer seems to confirm it, but like us you'll have to 'put two-and-two together'.

JT: Yeah, so, combining two questions into one: you seem to be hinting, quite strongly, that the game will probably appear on the Nintendo Wii. But just how far along is the game development and would you like to confirm it is on the Wii or not?

BB: I can’t confirm much. The reason is I’m under a series of NDAs, which will tell you something! *Pause – to let that point settle in* And with that said I will say that I have always been a Nintendo fan...I think most of our hardcore fans know that of me as well. In fact, it was thought way back in the day that we were some sort of secret Nintendo project.

When the site first launched people were like "This is way too slick to have been done by three guys". And we kind of hinted our Nintendo leanings in places and people were like "Oh this must be a secret Nintendo game receptacle". I love Nintendo, I love the platforms, even the moments of weakness, the chinks in their armour so to speak, but I think the new platform is incredible. I think that development costs can be cut down. I think that the Virtual Console will provide for an incredible showcase of episodic content and I think that the connection between the Wii and the DS, as far as transferring trailers or additional content...hmm, interactive comic books are really interesting...I think that all the clues are kind of there for you.

JT: I’ll put two-and-two together...

Not satisfied with that response, we asked again about the recent game trailer that was released for the Broken Saints videogame, again Brooke is hinting strongly at (and almost confirming) that the game will be on both the Wii and the DS. See what you make of it...

JT: I've been asked in particular to quiz you on the recent game trailer that was revealed that showed elements that appeared to suggest multiple formats. So should we suppose you’re looking to do a handheld and a home console version? Or...?

BB: You can happily suppose that.

JT: I can happily suppose that? I shall then...So we’re probably talking DS and Wii here, but I won’t push you on that.

BB: You can happily suppose whatever you like! *laughter* I can’t firmly say either way *more laughter*

Original source: http://www.cubed3.com/news/5821.

Juice

This thread's off to a great start (I'll come back when there's a summary of all the worthless highlights)

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i thought 'broken saints' was some kind of nintendumb internet hoax i didn't care about. then i saw some 'broken saints' dvds at blockbuster the other day. so i guess it's some kind of cartoon i don't care about. pretty weird to see though -- it was like seeing a gahiggidy dvd, or a johnny rapetrain dvd. at blockbuster.

jesusraz

Shiggy said:
Do I have to sign up for a download? Sucks.

Yeah, sorry about that...it's to stop as many leechers as possible. The transcript (15 1/2 pages!) should be up on Monday for those too lazy to take five mins to sign-up and download ;)

Main point for me is that he basically says Broken Saints The Game will be on Wii. If people who actually listen themselves care to, let us know what your thoughts are on what he says...

Joe Molotov

drohne said:
i thought 'broken saints' was some kind of nintendumb internet hoax i didn't care about. then i saw some 'broken saints' dvds at blockbuster the other day. so i guess it's some kind of cartoon i don't care about. pretty weird to see though -- it was like seeing a gahiggidy dvd, or a johnny rapetrain dvd. at blockbuster.

It's like an animated webcomic. It's been around for years.

Shiggy

jesusraz said:
Yeah, sorry about that...it's to stop as many leechers as possible. The transcript (15 1/2 pages!) should be up on Monday for those too lazy to take five mins to sign-up and download ;)

Main point for me is that he basically says Broken Saints The Game will be on Wii. If people who actually listen themselves care to, let us know what your thoughts are on what he says...

Does he say something about the 3D functions of Wii? :)

drohne said:

You're trolling has been out of date recentely, first the mario soccer game now this....perhaps out of dates trolls may be bannable?lol

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
while his webcomic thingy may be succesful or whatever, his continual hints at videogame iterations and ultra secret nintendo hardware are unadultarated attention whoring at its best.

drohne said:
johnny rapetrain
:lol

broken saints is what happens when a bunch of fat nintendumbs fall in lust with ff7 despite the sony hardware requirement, and want it (or its fanboy moral equivalent) on a nintendo console. it's third-rate fanfic elevated by a dyspeptic, disgruntled microaudience who wishes square had supported the n64.

LakeEarth

The Broken Saints guy already did this when the GC was still the Dolphin. Usually just a way to get more hits on his website.

Drensch

Drinky and drohne are pretty sad nowdays. They resort to trolling shit that isn't even a prospective game for a Nintendo system.

i've been hating on crap of all breeds and manufacturers for some time. how quickly we forget my loathing for xenogears, shenmue and kingdom hearts! my poison pen is 100% independent of the collective cognitive dissonance of the nintard brigade.

Andonuts

Guys could you please not use words like "nintendumb" I mean that's like a notch below spelling it "Micro$oft".

edit: also "nintard". RESPECT DOWN

Drensch said:
Drinky and drohne are pretty sad nowdays. They resort to trolling shit that isn't even a prospective game for a Nintendo system.

No, they're just out of date characters in this forum, im sure in the real life they have followed with the times, im sure.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
and i'm not hating on anything, unless i'm hating on stupid nintendo-related hoaxes, which you people have got more reason to hate than i have. i don't have any clear idea of what 'broken saints' is! this time last week i didn't think it was real! enjoy your webcomic which is in some obscure way related to nintendo!

i'm kind of sad that "wiitard" never caught on. it's the first term for nintendo fans as elegant as "xbot."

jesusraz

LakeEarth said:
The Broken Saints guy already did this when the GC was still the Dolphin. Usually just a way to get more hits on his website.

Hidden away on Disc 2 of the DVD set there is an Easter Egg that holds the original game demo that was shown to publishers back when this was thought to be a GameCube project. It looks like a really slow-moving point-and-click style game with the text-style of the series being employed throughout. Looked quite cool, but was clearly from a couple of years ago.

Chris Remo said:
http://www.cubed3.com/podcast/ Just go there, right click, and save as. You don't have to sign up.

...Or you could do that, yes... ;)

Shiggy said:
Does he say something about the 3D functions of Wii?

He talks about the Wii extensively, actually. He also (in Part 2, which comes tomorrow) talks about the pricing and launch details that he's heard about.

jesusraz said:
He talks about the Wii extensively, actually. He also (in Part 2, which comes tomorrow) talks about the pricing and launch details that he's heard about.
Am I missing something or is this the same guy that lied about some Revolution/Wii features?

That was Aries, aka DarkPhoenix, who frequented the Broken Saints' boards.

Wait, is this some sort of viral marketing ploy for said lame-ass webcomic?

Drinky Crow said:
That was Aries, aka DarkPhoenix, who frequented the Broken Saints' boards.

Wait, is this some sort of viral marketing ploy for said lame-ass webcomic?
Right, now I remember. As usual, this Burgess guy brings up Nintendo and says a game is coming, and it will never happen.

jesusraz

Boards of Canada said:
Right, now I remember. As usual, this Burgess guy brings up Nintendo and says a game is coming, and it will never happen.

The publisher is now lined up and a new game trailer was recently released showing elements that could have been PS3, Wii AND Nintendo DS. The publisher has put the stops on info being released until January at the earliest...

Juice

drohne said:
i'm kind of sad that "wiitard" never caught on. it's the first term for nintendo fans as elegant as "xbot."

Don't worry, there's a few more years to go. I'm sure it'll find its place.

jesusraz said:
The publisher is now lined up and a new game trailer was recently released showing elements that could have been PS3, Wii AND Nintendo DS. The publisher has put the stops on info being released until January at the earliest...
Where is this trailer that was recently released?

Shiggy

jesusraz said:
He also (in Part 2, which comes tomorrow) talks about the pricing and launch details that he's heard about.

Does he say Wii will launch on November 9th in the US? Then he would be right^^

suaveric

Key points-

-The game would expand on the story from the DVD/comic
-He all but says the game is planned for Wii
-no publisher yet, they are in talks with "respectable" pubs from both Europe and Japan
-hope to have an official announcement of the game early next year

-the audio was really bad

loosus

Banned
Why the **** did Matt C. pimp this "Web comic" so hard back a few years ago? I guarantee you this thread wouldn't exist and there wouldn't be DVD versions in Blockbuster had Matt C. not put so many "OH CRAP, WHAT DO I MEAN BY MAKING A LINK TO THE BROKEN SAINTS SITE -- IS IT A HINT FOR A MAJOR BOMBATON FOR GAMECUBE" in IGN's mailbag section.

That was really when I started questioning his credibility. He's seemed like such a douche since.

jesusraz

loosus said:
Why the **** did Matt C. pimp this "Web comic" so hard back a few years ago? I guarantee you this thread wouldn't exist and there wouldn't be DVD versions in Blockbuster had Matt C. not put so many "OH CRAP, WHAT DO I MEAN BY MAKING A LINK TO THE BROKEN SAINTS SITE -- IS IT A HINT FOR A MAJOR BOMBATON FOR GAMECUBE" in IGN's mailbag section.

That was really when I started questioning his credibility. He's seemed like such a douche since.

Actually, Matt C started plugging Broken Saints long after I'd started following it. I was gripped by it when it started in 2001, right from the start and have been following the progress of the team since then. They're a really nice group and I think the series is enthralling, so haven't been influenced by IGN in any way...

By the way, part two is now up: http://www.cubed3.com/news/5820 and there are a few snippets from the transcript here:

First up, we asked Brooke about the possibility of the game being in development on the Wii. His answer seems to confirm it, but like us you'll have to 'put two-and-two together'.

JT: Yeah, so, combining two questions into one: you seem to be hinting, quite strongly, that the game will probably appear on the Nintendo Wii. But just how far along is the game development and would you like to confirm it is on the Wii or not?

BB: I can’t confirm much. The reason is I’m under a series of NDAs, which will tell you something! *Pause – to let that point settle in* And with that said I will say that I have always been a Nintendo fan...I think most of our hardcore fans know that of me as well. In fact, it was thought way back in the day that we were some sort of secret Nintendo project.

When the site first launched people were like "This is way too slick to have been done by three guys". And we kind of hinted our Nintendo leanings in places and people were like "Oh this must be a secret Nintendo game receptacle". I love Nintendo, I love the platforms, even the moments of weakness, the chinks in their armour so to speak, but I think the new platform is incredible. I think that development costs can be cut down. I think that the Virtual Console will provide for an incredible showcase of episodic content and I think that the connection between the Wii and the DS, as far as transferring trailers or additional content...hmm, interactive comic books are really interesting...I think that all the clues are kind of there for you.

Not satisfied with that response, we asked again about the recent game trailer that was released for the Broken Saints videogame, again Brooke is hinting strongly at (and almost confirming) that the game will be on both the Wii and the DS. See what you make of it...

JT: I've been asked in particular to quiz you on the recent game trailer that was revealed that showed elements that appeared to suggest multiple formats. So should we suppose you’re looking to do a handheld and a home console version? Or...?

BB: You can happily suppose that.

JT: I can happily suppose that? I shall then...So we’re probably talking DS and Wii here, but I won’t push you on that.

BB: You can happily suppose whatever you like! *laughter* I can’t firmly say either way *more laughter*

From here: http://www.cubed3.com/news/5821.

The full transcript will be available tomorrow, with any luck. I'll update all this in the first post in a sec... :) And apologies for the poor audio quality, James had to record the phone conversation via his MP3 player as it was on short notice.

BB: I have always been a Nintendo fan... [...] I love Nintendo, [...] the chinks[...], so to speak[...]. I think that [...] can be cut down. [...] I think that all the clues are kind of there for you.

Brooke Burgess = racist?

jesusraz

:lol That's how bad rumours start!! :p

The original trailer for the game is found hidden away on the DVD set, but the updated trailer that was revealed at Comicon showed things to be a lot more stylish...it shows a scene with the PlayStation buttons in the bottom left corner, so it could well be on PS3 as well, but his comment about NDAs with Nintendo basically confirms something in Wii-related...*ahem*

And the trailer also showed a DS-style section with routes being 'traced' out.

Luckett_X

Banned
I really do hate it when someone seeks to become a developer and they do so as complete and utter fanboys. It just comes across as laughably unprofessional. So if Microsoft/Sony said they would fund the entire project you'd turn them down in favour of working for "The Big N"?

I enjoyed Broken Saints as it was a fairly serious story with some pretty fancy Flash work. But as a Wii title it would be completely out of place. It certainly doesnt appeal to casuals or kids. It would also benefit mainly from next-gen graphics if anything for detailed characters.

MutFox

Banned
Brooke Burgess was also one of the Producers for "Beetle Adventure Racing."
I also know he did some port work for some of the SSX games...

I once pissed him off by saying the SSX controls on the gamecube sucked...
(Him and I are buddies.)

But yeah, everytime we have a conversation, it's pretty much Nintendo related. :lol
(Or Video Game related.)

jesusraz

MutFox said:
Brooke Burgess was also one of the Producers for "Beetle Adventure Racing."
I also know he did some port work for some of the SSX games...

I once pissed him off by saying the SSX controls on the gamecube sucked...
(Him and I are buddies.)

But yeah, everytime we have a conversation, it's pretty much Nintendo related. :lol
(Or Video Game related.)

Yeah, he left EA because he was tired of being stuck in a cubicle environment, churning out endless yearly updates (he worked on Need for Speed, for example). Beetle Adventure Racing came about from a push he made, didn't it? Being the big Nintendo fan he is, and all...

You can tell he's a big N fan purely from listening to that interview / reading the transcript.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Luckett_X said:
I really do hate it when someone seeks to become a developer and they do so as complete and utter fanboys. It just comes across as laughably unprofessional. So if Microsoft/Sony said they would fund the entire project you'd turn them down in favour of working for "The Big N"?

he was a developer before broken saints.. and it sounds like this game is also coming out on playstation3..

Top Bottom