• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega was amazing at naming consoles

Sblargh

Banned
I'll put a "The" in front of the names to make them sound even more omnous and bad ass.

The Master System
The Genesis
The Mega Drive
The Saturn
The Dreamcast

Of these, my favorites are either Master System or Mega Drive. Few things in this weary world of ours deserve still to be called "rad"; but Master System and Mega Drive are pretty rad names.
Genesis and Saturn are two strong sounding words and Dreamcast is an amazing console name and even when I understand why consoles don't want to call themselves something like Master System, they should have been striving to be something like Dreamcast.

Compare those amazing Sega console names with
Playstation - sounds like something an engineer announced to the press before the marketing department could shoot him down
Xbox - Sounds like the project name and, again, the marketing department just let is slide.
Super Nintendo 64 - Sounds like that you have enough brand recognition to honestly don't even care.
Gamecube - Another prototype name.
Wii - Good, simple, fun name. Could be less abstract, but I like the simplicity and good hearted nature of the sound.

In a time where developers waste precious console names just reminding the public that this is the same company that made their last favorite console, I think we should honor sega for what they strived for.
Just think of the children whose consoles were: Playstation, Playstation 2, Playstation 3 and then Playstation 4.
Think of them and weep, NeoGAF.

I'll put a "The" in front of the names to make them sound even more omnous and bad ass.

The Master System
The Genesis
The Mega Drive
The Saturn
The Dreamcast

Of these, my favorites are either Master System or Mega Drive. Few things in this weary world of ours deserve still to be called "rad"; but Master System and Mega Drive are pretty rad names.
Genesis and Saturn are two strong sounding words and Dreamcast is an amazing console name and even when I understand why consoles don't want to call themselves something like Master System, they should have been striving to be something like Dreamcast.

Playstation - sounds like something an engineer announced to the press before the marketing department could shoot him down
Xbox - Sounds like the project name and, again, the marketing department just let is slide.
Super Nintendo 64 - Sounds like that you have enough brand recognition to honestly don't even care.
Wii - Good, simple, fun name. Could be less abstract, but I like the simplicity and good hearted nature of the sound.

In a time where developers waste precious console names just reminding the public that this is the same company that made their last favorite console, I think we should honor sega for what they strived for.
Just think of the children whose consoles were: Playstation, Playstation 2, Playstation 3 and then Playstation 4.
I still wish they went with Revolution.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Agreed. Sega were the best at it.

You're selling the Gamecube short tho. That's a top tier name when you look at the thing.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Yep. Sega had this on lockdown.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
NeoGeo, the scrapped Neptune, hell, even 32X...

I don't think many would argue with you to say they probably had the coolest naming schematic.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Gamecube's development name was Dolphin though. I think it's fine.

But yeah, Sega was the best when it came to names. Except Game Gear. That was kind of bad.

Ceadeus

My personnal best is Dreamcast and its startup logo.

I would have like it to live on for 10 more years. Those were the best gaming era ever. Ps2, dreamcast, gamecube and xbox.... A dream once true.

GDGF

Soothsayer

I don't think many would argue with you to say they probably had the coolest naming schematic.

SNK made the NeoGeo, though.

But Sega was great at names indeed.

My favorites were Master System, Genesis, and Dreamcast.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Saturn is a great name, shame it had to be tied so such a flop system.

Dreamcast sounds really bad though. Like a child's plastic fishing rod toy.

entremet

The magazines were not loving Dreamcast.

It grew on folks.

I like the project names. Project Katana--Saturn

Project Dural--Dreamcast

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member

giphy.gif

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I was a Nintendo kid and I never had a good argument when people brought up Sega's cool factor.

Sblargh

Banned
I still wish they went with Revolution.

While it makes sense in hindsight; I guess a name like "Revolution" for an underpowered console aimed at non-teenagers would have been a bad idea. This is where Sega could get away with stuff like Mega Drive; they went straight to the 12 year olds; which is not what Nintendo wanted with the Wii.

Agreed. Sega were the best at it.

You're selling the Gamecube short tho. That's a top tier name when you look at the thing.

Gamecube's and N64's logos are among the best, the name, though, c'mon, the gaming console is shaped like a cube, so we'll call it the Gamecube? That's weak!

32X is cool, but I little too much of an inside joke, since it only made sense to people who cared about bits. I'll disagree with you on the NeoGeo. I don't even know what the word is trying to do. Is it trying to be New Generation?

Gamecube's development name was Dolphin though. I think it's fine.

But yeah, Sega was the best when it came to names. Except Game Gear. That was kind of bad.

While it's true that Dolphin was the development name, it does sound the other way around, imo. And while Dolphin is not a great word when you say it out loud; I feel they missed an opportunity to start naming all their consoles as animals.
I mean, it worked with the Jaguar!

Sounds mystical to me! Like a machine of wonders!

Neff

The first time I heard 'Dreamcast', I refused to believe it.

To this day I still think it's the most brilliantly insane perfect console name ever.

Shinigami

The Master System
The Genesis
The Mega Drive
The Saturn
The Dreamcast

Since when was it called Super Nintendo 64?

mr_chun

I'm partial to the big three, yeah. Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast.

Don't really care for the rest. Master System is a little corny for me.

Mozz-eyes

Banned
I love the name Nintendo 64. It's so clear and up in your face.

Nintendo. 64 motherfucking bits. What's a bit? I have no fucking idea but here's 64 of them.

I've always loved Saturn as a console name. Sega Saturn just rolls off the tongue so well, and still sounds pretty cool. I've always been partial to the Dreamcast as well.

Dereck

You can talk all the shit you want about Sega failing the console race or Sonic Adventure games being shit or whatever, but you can't tell me ever that the names of their consoles weren't always on top.

At least let me have that.

Kyoufu

I miss Sega consoles and all their awesome 1st party games so much.

I don't miss all the dumb add-on shit they did though, Jesus. Could you imagine if the big three tried that shit today?

OP is correct and should feel good about himself for making this thread

Dreamcast is the ultimate name for a system.

if only Nintendo was half as good at Naming shit as they were. They should take note with NX. Hire Segata Sanshiro to do ads for them.

mr_chun

I miss Sega consoles and all their awesome 1st party games so much.

I don't miss all the dumb add-on shit they did though, Jesus. Could you imagine if the big three tried that shit today?
You mean like Kinect, Move, and WiiMotion+? :p

Coda

I think the Dreamcast may be my favorite console ever aesthetically and by name. Thing is just a beast powerhouse in a small form factor, how can you not love it?

I definitely dislike the fact that now systems just go in a numerical order now. What happened to the fun factor of a new console name? I guess brand recognition and marketing got the best of it.

Top Bottom