• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AFTERBURNER CLIMAX!!! I am pre-crazy Tom Cruise

Sho Nuff

Banned
Awww yeah! This shit is on location test at Club Sega Shinjuku West (exit the South Exit and go near Yodobashi) and mm-mm it be tasty.

SHOREVIEW

+Graphics are awesome and scenery is varied. Coolest one by far is flying over the mountain range of ERUPTING VOLCANOS dodging lava!
+60fps with little slowdown (you will notice if you're Dark10x). I guess it's like OutRun2 if you flew supersonic fighter jets through it. It doesn't make you go "Oh damn this is definitely HD" like Virtua Fighter 5 does because I think the monitor is your standard tube. However, it does indeed look shit hot nonetheless.
+Different altitudes for different stages. Sometimes you're flying through canyons (kind of tricky), sometimes you're above the cloud layer (looks awesome).
+Gigantic rotating seat that you strap yourself into. Rotates the seat maybe 20-30 degrees, is VERY strong and makes the barrel rolls feel super convincing.
+All licensed planes!!! F-14, FA-18, something else from Northrop/Boeing. Multiple paint jobs/camo.
+Big, sturdy throttle on the left that lets you speed up, slow down (this is actually useful) and rock into CLIMAX MODE!!! where everything slows down and you can blast multiple targets by moving a big reticle over them (not 100% sure how this works).
+Outrun-style branching map! At the end of certain stages you can go left or right, plus there are secret stages too.
+Total fan service opening complete with the old school Afterburner vector balls. :O

-Dodging missiles is kind of hard, and it's hard to tell exactly if you shot them down.
-Shooting stuff with the gun needs a little more visual kick (kinda hard to see if you're connecting or not).
-Can't really hear the music over the radio chatter.

Anyway, give it a shot as it is some good sheeit, plus it's guaranteed to make you wanna throw up with the rotating cockpit.

photo02.jpg

You can fly my wing anytime!

photo01.jpg

AhhhhHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

photo08.jpg

Dammit Sumo Digital port this to every system under the sun!

Jonnyram

Sho Nuff said:
Anyway, give it a shot as it is some good sheeit, plus it's guaranteed to make you wanna throw up with the rotating cockpit.
I felt sick just reading your description!

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
once this shows up in america I am arranging an AFTER BURNER ROAD TRIP

Yeah, Sumo Digital, where are you? Get them working on a ps3/x360 version like right now. BTW,I don't think the game is in HD, at least I have never seen any HD pics, not sure what that says about a possible port or not.

LOcKY

i dont know why but i keep thinking what it would be like if it was a Dragoon instead of jet fighters.

mmmm.. could be an intersting concept oohhhh.. just imagine the arcade cabinent you ride a frigging dragoon!

mmmmm... Panzer

MutFox

Banned
I AM SO JEALOUS!!
Man, this game sounds and looks TIGHT!

Would like a PS3 port with the Gyro controls... :D
Or better yet, that arcade machine in my room!

Shinobi

Yeah, a lot of Sega's arcade games were inspired by movies, or at least seemed to be. Blue Thunder inspired Thunderblade, Aliens inspired Alien Syndrome, Conan inspired Golden Axe, and Days of Thunder inspired Daytona.

Afterburner Climax sounds like the perfect PSP game...something to bust out for half an hour at a time. Of course you'd need one of the newer machines to get the full visual effect. I wouldn't be surprised if even the Wii could get it done though. So if it does come home, here's hoping everyone gets to share in some Afterburner love.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Oh hell...I'm actually kind of glad that I'll probably never see this in person because of the ungodly amount of money I'd spend on it.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Yeeeessssssssssss!!!

Finally this game, the ONE Sega game I'm actually looking forward to, is being playtested - I need some new vids STAT!!!

Great impressions BTW, nice to hear about the varied stages, including secret ones!

And yes Sumo, please port this baby FAST!!!

XMonkey said:
Holy shit

5.jpg

Uh, I believe that this is that one Gundam arcade game, why did you post this here?

PolyGone

Banned
Skilotonn said:
Yeeeessssssssssss!!!

Finally this game, the ONE Sega game I'm actually looking forward to, is being playtested - I need some new vids STAT!!!

Great impressions BTW, nice to hear about the varied stages, including secret ones!

And yes Sumo, please port this baby FAST!!!

Uh, I believe that this is that one Gundam arcade game, why did you post this here?

prolly because this set up would rock for afterburner

remember that old spherical arcade unit that would jostle you around? so ****ing awesome

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Dying for a chance to play this... fave video game developer + company I work for FTW. I can't wait till it comes to the States, I assume it will, since I've seen HOTD4 around in our arcades and I hear VF5 is starting to trickle onto these shores.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
PolyGone said:

remember that old spherical arcade unit that would jostle you around? so ****ing awesome

The last time I saw the Afterburner trailer from the leaked E3 video, that was spinning so fast that I literally got a headache after watching it like 25 times in a row - I'd imagine at that speed, this arcade setup would make people pass out from too much G's... :)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
This shit needs to go on loki-test in Kansai, god dammit. The Osaka Club Sega is shittastic, so just put it in Round 1 and be done with it.

Keio

For a Finer World
PolyGone said:

That was G-Loc, wasn't it? Did they have one for Afterburner too?

Talk to me, Goose! I want to play this!

edit: They had one of those cabinets for Afterburner 2, too. Check out crazy photos and animations of the arcade unit at the R-360 Restoration Project site!

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Skilotonn said:

It was in the thread that got posted with more pics of Afterburner... which was also in another language so I wouldn't know it could be from a Gundam game.

B'z-chan

Banned
Ok looks like i need to find out how i can ship one of these over to the states. :)

Looks ****ing amazing. Does the seat move or no? Cause if so its bought.

Shinobi said:
Afterburner Climax sounds like the perfect PSP game...something to bust out for half an hour at a time. Of course you'd need one of the newer machines to get the full visual effect. I wouldn't be surprised if even the Wii could get it done though. So if it does come home, here's hoping everyone gets to share in some Afterburner love.

Did you hear about the PSP version of Afterburner currently in development at Planet Moon

Probationsmack said:
This would be like handing the sequel development of the greatest 2d platformer ever made to mother****ing artoon.

Except Artoon never made a game as awesome as Giants

PS: you have an Earthworm Jim avatar.... you best check yourself, son.

jarrod

Banned
sugarhigh4242 said:
Except Artoon never made a game as awesome as Giants
Maybe not as Artoon, but they did as "Sonic Team" and "Team Andromeda" respectively. Blue Dragon and Yoshi's Island 2 both look shockingly awesome at this stage though I'd have to say... might be time to put Blinx and Pinobee behind us. ;)

Top Bottom