• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One at 18 million (activated units)

hawk2025

There is no way to infer this.

We don't know if the analyst simply projected sales and assumed all consoles updated, or if somehow there are actual numbers and they know the proportion of consoles that updated -- which in that case 18 million is very likely far, far too high.

Nearly useless information.

dugdug

Banned
Title probably should have "rumor" in the title since this isn't coming from MS, but, an analyst.

Mary Jo Foley, a known Microsoft analyst has revealed that about 200 million Windows activations were made and that out of those, 18 million were for the Xbox One. While this is not official, it is reliable and probably the best we are going to get since Microsoft won’t talk.

What is activate units? Sold through?

If I remember correctly, all X1's still need to connect to the internet on start up, correct? If not, then 18 million is the bare minimum amount of consoles sold, since that amount would be composed of only people who decided to take their machine online.

What is activate units? Sold through? Edit: yup

From the article:
Mary Jo Foley, a known Microsoft analyst has revealed that about 200 million Windows activations were made and that out of those, 18 million were for the Xbox One. While this is not official, it is reliable and probably the best we are going to get since Microsoft won’t talk.

viHuGi

Banned
They are only counting consoles that have the Windows 10 update.

So many people probably didn't update yet who knows.

nib95

Banned
So is this analyst guessing the figures, or does he have hard data? Also, can the same console be activated more than once, Eg if is repaired or wiped? Or is it a once only type thing? In any case, it's close to what others have predicted.

I am guessing this will be the next argument:
Nine of my friends never updated their console, so they really sold 180 million Xbones!

So is this analyst guessing the figures, or does he have hard data? Also, can the same console be activated more than once, Eg if is repaired or wiped? Or is it a once only type thing? In any case, it's close to what others have predicted.

Analyst prediction of number of Xbox One consoles that have updated to Windows 10 (so wouldn't count consoles that haven't updated).

Either way, this number is unofficial. And it's an estimate.

Great numbers for XB1. They really managed to turn it around after the rocky start. Best OS updates in the industry. Competition is a good thing.

EDIT: This is for US only, right?

Chris1

From an analyst who doesn't know how many xbox ones have sold but predicts there's 18M with the win10 update? Nothing to see here..

Just seems like bait to get Microsoft to spill the beans. Plus if it's going by windows 10 activations then the sales number will be a bit higher than 18M, maybe 19M or so.

farcryfan

Neo Member
If backwards compatibility was there from the start with 100s of 360 games i think that number would be 22 - 25 million units.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Wait what?
Windows 10 activation?
That was a forced update on November 23rd if I remember correctly, so pretty much everyone got it except people who use the console strictly offline.

Analyst prediction of number of Xbox One consoles that have updated to Windows 10 (so wouldn't count consoles that haven't updated).

Either way, this number is unofficial. And it's an estimate.

I expect that the people currently buying these consoles have internet or close to 99% of people do. Otherwise how can you spend $400 on something and not be able to afford internet?

Great numbers for XB1. They really managed to turn it around after the rocky start. Best OS updates in the industry. Competition is a good thing.

EDIT: This is for US only, right?

No, it's WW. If these were US only numbers, XB1 would be selling at an insane rate.

JaggedSac

From an analyst who doesn't know how many xbox ones have sold but predicts there's 18M with the win10 update? Nothing to see here..

Just seems like bait to get Microsoft to spill the beans. Plus if it's going by windows 10 activations then the sales number will be a bit higher than 18M, maybe 19M or so.

Mary Jo didn't predict or estimate. She said a source in MS told her that of the 200 million active W10 devices, 180 million were pcs, 18 million were Bones, and 2 million were phones and other devices. Again, she said this came from a source within MS.

Top Bottom