• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whatever Happened to 'Whore of the Orient'?

One of the very first next-gen games to be announced, yet we're completely in the dark about it:

p4dL72C.jpg

My guess as to why we haven't heard anything? Developer is having $$$ issues.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Following the release of L.A. Noire (2011), Team Bondi sought partnerships with other studios for their next title, similar to their former partnership with Rockstar Games.[4] It was reported that no studios were interested in forming a partnership, due to prior claims of unethical working practices at Team Bondi.[5] In August 2011, Kennedy Miller Mitchell (KMM) bought Team Bondi's assets and intellectual property, and staff were given the option to join KMM.[6] The team was absorbed into KMM Interactive Entertainment, a subsidiary of Kennedy Miller Mitchell, and development on Whore of the Orient continued.[7] Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment was said to have pulled out from their interest in the project sometime in late 2012.[8] In April 2013, it was rumoured that the former Team Bondi team was laid off, and that the game was put on hold. Doug Mitchell of Kennedy Miller Mitchell released a comment stating that the company has not given up on the project, and that they are still seeking the right investor, neither confirming nor denying the status of the former Team Bondi team.[9] In June of that year, KMM received US$200,000 worth of funding for the project from Screen NSW, an Australian trade and investment board.[10][11]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whore_of_the_Orient

Sounds like it's dead.

joe2187

Banned
Don't quote me, but I do believe that is a reference to Shanghai. There is some historical background to the name, though it escapes me right now.

I understood the context, it's still a terrible title.

There are tons of things in context of the time period in Shanghai they could have went with. I would have gone with "The Silk Road"

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

There are tons of things in context of the time period in Shanghai they could have went with. I would have gone with "The Silk Road"

That's boring tho.

I like the provocative title but it probably would be a nightmare trying to get it on Walmart shelves, etc. Ballsy move, guess it didn't pay off.

Tagyhag

The MMO or the drug website?

Not a good title. :p

Studio Bondi became defunct in 2011 through liquidation. There were funding issues with the NSW Government arts grant provided to the studio. The game is 100% cancelled and not happening, I'd be so happy for anyone to prove otherwise but there really isn't any proof to the contrary.

On the other hand, how about Agent?

Dram

I wonder how much of it was because of the title or because of the bad reputation that CEO Brendan McNamara has?

Corpekata

Banned
I wonder how much of it was because of the title or because of the bad reputation that CEO Brendan McNamara has?

Really doubt the title would make much of an impact on this developing, publishers would just want it changed at most.

It's all about La Noire, the bad relationship with Rockstar and the stories that leaked out of there.

It was a fantastic title. It was set around the Shanghai underground of the early 1930-40's.

Anyone that thinks the title ia bad is simply being overly sensitive to the words 'whore' and 'orient.'

I almost wish the game was made just so the title could officially exist. That's how good i thought the title was. It was provocative, indicative of an older time, sets the location, and had a metaphorical ring to it. Awesome name for a work of creative fiction in that setting.

Cilla

I wanted it so badly. Admittedly just based on that edgy title. Who knows though. Stranger things happened in 2015.

HotHamBoy

The title certainly grabbed your attention. Imagine some mom browsing Wal-Mart with her kids and right after Minecraft and Skylanders there's good ol' Whore of the Orient.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Team Bondi come under fire for abusing employees, refusing to credit them and going over-time and over-budget on a mediocre, divisive game?

I could imagine things not going well.

Officially right now it's either in a state of eternal limbo with no publisher behind it or cancelled for good.

My tales from the arse tells me someone has picked it up and we're slated for a rereveal this year.

Titles can be changed in development. The main problem was Team Bondi. Which is a damn shame, because they were one of the few AAA studios in Australia until the recent collapse in AAA development here, partly because both the federal and state governments are industry-illiterate and arts funding in general being a victim of recent austerity budgets. And this is in spite of the Aussie dollar falling a large amount in the last few years.

For anyone still interested in this, the producer of the game just told the story of its demise. Sounds like it is gone for good.

Which is sad news indeed. The setting sounds epic - but surely someone could come in a and buy the IP and tech right. Maybe pick it back up and try and get some of the original names back on board?

kuYuri

For anyone still interested in this, the producer of the game just told the story of its demise. Sounds like it is gone for good.

Which is sad news indeed. The setting sounds epic - but surely someone could come in a and buy the IP and tech right. Maybe pick it back up and try and get some of the original names back on board?

Thanks for the update. At least we can finally close the book for sure on the status of the game.

JTripper

I'm sure if a publisher said "we're not helping you make this because of the title" then Team Bondi could have easily just said "ok we'll change it"

Highly doubt it's the title that killed the development. Maybe Team Bondi just disbanded or weren't sure how to approach the game's development since the process they went through to make L.A. Noire was reportedly torturous.

Well, dang. So they did disband. That sucks since L.A. Noire was a really special game unlike anything else in the industry. Hopefully one day we'll see something in a similar vein to it or what they were going to do with Whore of the Orient.

E-flux

I really hope that the game gets resurrected at some point. I want a game set in Shangai. I see nothing wrong with the title, it would have been a badass title.

Top Bottom